Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 23, 2017

Today I was looking for a translator for the language pair DE-FI and Marketing material. The list comprised 31 names (after Kudoz rating). I saw one member I know from previous projects, a native Finnish translator, who had done proofreading for me. So I thought I would send him a direct message. To my surprise he does not know German and his profile does not mention it.

So how is it possible that the system puts him on a list for DE-FI translators, I wonder?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:02
SITE STAFF
Would need more information to investigate Feb 23, 2017

Hi Heinrich,

I would need more info to look into this. Can you send me the link to the directory search you performed that gave you that result, and indicate the profile you found that shouldn't have been in the results? Thanks.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:02
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Something was wrong in the search settings Feb 23, 2017

Or probably some criteria of older search were not cleared properly.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The link Feb 23, 2017

See more
http://www.proz.com/translator-directory.php/?sp=directory&sp=directory&mode=filter&from=deu&to=fin&type=translation&skill_interpreting=Any&field=broad7&distance=50&location=&latitude=&longitude=&country=&pair_emphasis=8&native=&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&avail=na&expertise=working&keyword=&keyword_cv_checkbox=on&wwa=na&complete_profile=na&profile_last_updated=any&posted_wiwo_within_days=&search_form_action=y&mail_candidates=true

This happens if I click on "send to all" on top of the search list. The last name in the list does not translate from German.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Thanks. Looks like a previous candidate you had added to your batch email list Feb 23, 2017

Thanks Heinrich. I don't see that person in the directory under the search you did, and it looks like at some point you may have added to your list of candidates in another search, so that is why he was coming up. I've cleared him from your list. At the top of the directory list you'll see "Candidates in batch mail list:" and if there is a number for that, you have candidates you have added from this or previous searches saved there. When you no longer need them, you can just click on "Cl... See more
Thanks Heinrich. I don't see that person in the directory under the search you did, and it looks like at some point you may have added to your list of candidates in another search, so that is why he was coming up. I've cleared him from your list. At the top of the directory list you'll see "Candidates in batch mail list:" and if there is a number for that, you have candidates you have added from this or previous searches saved there. When you no longer need them, you can just click on "Clear list" and that will empty out the list.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I've had endless problems with this search Feb 23, 2017

Natalie wrote:
probably some criteria of older search were not cleared properly.

Sometimes it proves to be extremely difficult to clear them. I remember having many problems with native language, for example. Actually, I just tried the "clear all" button. It left the native language setting untouched. I clicked the "x" next to it, and that was then unset, but the Languages line above went from apparently unset to read Languages > English. Only when I'd clicked the X against that line too did I appear to be able to start a search from scratch. By the way, this refers to the "Advanced Directory" or the "Connect Directory" (depending in where you look at it) - which is still marked as beta after very many years.

I've all but given up using the directory(/directories) myself but I am very worried about the use that potential clients can make of it. BTW, I have raised a support ticket or two over the years and they've been partially addressed, but often it just appeared that the problem couldn't be reproduced. I just wonder what results potential clients are getting. Personally, as a former programmer, I suspect the code is as leaky as a sieve.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It seems to be a frequent problem - point it out in a warning, perhaps? Feb 25, 2017

I just had a support ticket exchange with Yana, about an email I received yesterday through a directory generated list, for a language pair I do not work in. Yana said the outsourcer must have NOT cleared their list, and she cleared it for them, and contacted them. So, it is the same story.
One solution would be to force the system to clear that list every time someone initiates a search, but I think it may not be practical.
I am wondering however, if it would it be possible to displ
... See more
I just had a support ticket exchange with Yana, about an email I received yesterday through a directory generated list, for a language pair I do not work in. Yana said the outsourcer must have NOT cleared their list, and she cleared it for them, and contacted them. So, it is the same story.
One solution would be to force the system to clear that list every time someone initiates a search, but I think it may not be practical.
I am wondering however, if it would it be possible to display a red warning pop-up when someone starts a search and their list is NOT empty?
Tell them "You have previously added candidates on your list, do you want to keep them on the list? If not, clear the list" or something like that.
Katalin
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see it now! (Chaplin, Citylights) Feb 25, 2017

I was naïve and thought the search result would be the recipient list.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Feb 25, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I was naïve and thought the search result would be the recipient list.

Yes, I have also on occasion almost sent messages to people who I was not supposed to send it to, due to the fact that ProZ.com "remembers" the previous recipients and automatically adds them to the list.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Notifying the searcher they have previous candidates in their list is a good idea Feb 25, 2017

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
I am wondering however, if it would it be possible to display a red warning pop-up when someone starts a search and their list is NOT empty?
Tell them "You have previously added candidates on your list, do you want to keep them on the list? If not, clear the list" or something like that.
Katalin

Good idea, I like it. Thanks Katalin!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Let us know when it's implemented Feb 25, 2017

Hi Jared,
I hope it is not a difficult thing to implement and you could do it quickly. I have received emails from outsourcers in the wrong language pair many times, but usually ignored it, thinking they were just spamming people unconditionally. I am glad I contacted support this last time, and got my suspicions confirmed. It seems the system - as it is now - allows for making this mistake very easily.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message sent to translator who does not translate this combination

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »