Default language pairs in glossary search
Thread poster: PAS
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
Polish to English
+ ...
May 23, 2005

When asking a question, the asker's main language pairs are available as default choices.
Could the same be implemented for glossary searches?
It's a trifle, I know, but it would save those 7 seconds...

TIA
Pawel Skalinski

p.s. nitpicking dept.: Right on the home page, in the top right hand corner of the recent questions table it says:
"Ask a new translation questions"
I'm no native, but it doesn't quite look right......
See more
When asking a question, the asker's main language pairs are available as default choices.
Could the same be implemented for glossary searches?
It's a trifle, I know, but it would save those 7 seconds...

TIA
Pawel Skalinski

p.s. nitpicking dept.: Right on the home page, in the top right hand corner of the recent questions table it says:
"Ask a new translation questions"
I'm no native, but it doesn't quite look right...
Collapse

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great suggestion! May 23, 2005

Yes, those seven seconds would be great to have It's no big deal, but it would help. Maybe then people would use glossaries more before asking a KudoZ question!

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Sounds doable and sensible May 23, 2005

If it could be done on the question form, I am sure it could be done on the glossary query form.

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:15
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 23, 2005

Yes, that would narrow the search...and save time.

Ian M-H (X)
Ian M-H (X)
United States
Local time: 07:15
German to English
+ ...
Yes - at the very least within a session May 24, 2005

PAS wrote:
When asking a question, the asker's main language pairs are available as default choices. Could the same be implemented for glossary searches?

I've often wondered why this isn't implemented - but was too lazy to ask. So thanks for raising it. Some 95% of my queries are in the same language pair and I suspect that it's similar for many other users, so it really would save time and irritation.

Even saving the settings within a session would help (and would help non-registered users, too). At the moment, if I leave the search page then the language settings are gone when I return. So it's either yet another window to keep open or I have to enter them each time I visit.

Ian

Tomasz Kurcz
Tomasz Kurcz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Alternative solution Feb 5, 2016

I realize the thread is old, but I believe bringing up some sort of alternative might help someone out there.

I've done some testing and the search engine seems to accept GET data appended to the URL address as long as you provide not only the language pair, but also the term you're searching for.

What this means is you ca
... See more
I realize the thread is old, but I believe bringing up some sort of alternative might help someone out there.

I've done some testing and the search engine seems to accept GET data appended to the URL address as long as you provide not only the language pair, but also the term you're searching for.

What this means is you can use this address:

http://www.proz.com/search/?term=stuff&from=eng&to=pol

After you load that page, you should see the results of a search for 'stuff' from English to Polish.

A smart way to use this functionality would be to add this sort of URL address as a new search engine in your browser—simply replace 'stuff' with the wildcard your browser uses.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Default language pairs in glossary search

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »