Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 23:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2015

Probably in the wrong place as usual - please feel free to move me!

Has anyone else been experiencing banners which cover more than just their section, ie which obscure, for instance, Kudoz posts? At first I wondered if this was a cookie problem, but I have tweaked my cookie settings, and it's not happening anywhere else but Proz.

I appreciate that advertising helps pay for the site, but, and perhaps particularly as a paying member, I object to not being able to read th
... See more
Probably in the wrong place as usual - please feel free to move me!

Has anyone else been experiencing banners which cover more than just their section, ie which obscure, for instance, Kudoz posts? At first I wondered if this was a cookie problem, but I have tweaked my cookie settings, and it's not happening anywhere else but Proz.

I appreciate that advertising helps pay for the site, but, and perhaps particularly as a paying member, I object to not being able to read things because of these advertisements. I've just given up trying to work out what was said on a posting, and am finally moved to say something on the Forum.

Am I the only one, or in good company, and is it something I've done wrong or the latest way Proz is going to be?
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Just block 'em Mar 1, 2015

If the banners are so obtrusive, they are in no way better than common spam and deserve to be treated as such - that is, blocked with dedicated software like Adblock Plus and the like. Personally, I consider the idea that "advertising helps pay for the site" to be deeply flawed, at least insofar as someone tries to impose it on me (and I make a point of never buying anything advertised obtrusively).

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't recall ever seeing these. Mar 1, 2015

If they're obscuring other text, doesn't that make them popups rather than banners?

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Haven't seen them either Mar 1, 2015

I haven't experienced the same problem - have you tried contacting the site staff?

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:15
French to English
+ ...
I too... Mar 1, 2015

recommend using Adblock Plus.

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:15
French to English
+ ...
I haven't noticed anything like this... Mar 1, 2015

Just the usual banner ads, nothing intrusive or bothersome. Check the plugins installed on your browser. Something like this started happening to me a couple of months ago and it turned out I'd gotten some malware inadvertently installed. Delete any plugins you don't recognize...

Laura

János Untener
János Untener  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2010)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Most of the Mar 1, 2015

sites remove the ads for paying members.
ProZ is not one of them.
It really is a shame. We pay $100+ / year, yet we have to see all kinds of intrusive ads.

I've just quickly switched to IE (no adblock installed) and opened ProZ and now I see an ad
on the treatment of eczema, another one offers me something against hair loss, tinnitus, there is some
kind of food against high blood pressure, translation software I will never use,
an ad on online file shar
... See more
sites remove the ads for paying members.
ProZ is not one of them.
It really is a shame. We pay $100+ / year, yet we have to see all kinds of intrusive ads.

I've just quickly switched to IE (no adblock installed) and opened ProZ and now I see an ad
on the treatment of eczema, another one offers me something against hair loss, tinnitus, there is some
kind of food against high blood pressure, translation software I will never use,
an ad on online file sharing and other kinds of nonsense.

As it has already been mentioned, you should add an adblock extension to your browser.

Edit:
Yes, you are right, I see non translation related ads only when I am not logged in.

U

[Edited at 2015-03-01 20:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-02 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
János Mar 2, 2015

I'm a paying member, and I never see non-translation-related advertising.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ads in question not from ProZ.com Mar 2, 2015

First, there are no ads at ProZ.com that would obscure any page information. I've seen a screenshot that indicates the ads in question are a "pop up" that is not delivered by ProZ.com. If you're seeing that type of nuisance ad it's likely malware or a virus on the users side. To be clear this is NOT a virus or malware ProZ.com delivered. This would have been something a user acquired elsewhere. T... See more
First, there are no ads at ProZ.com that would obscure any page information. I've seen a screenshot that indicates the ads in question are a "pop up" that is not delivered by ProZ.com. If you're seeing that type of nuisance ad it's likely malware or a virus on the users side. To be clear this is NOT a virus or malware ProZ.com delivered. This would have been something a user acquired elsewhere. The recommended program for that user would be https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Regarding ads on ProZ.com in general. Yes we do have ads & yes they do support the site operations. When logged in to ProZ.com the only ads one sees are translation related. These include CAT Tools, events and more. Many users find these ads valuable & informative because they're exclusively translation related. I know ad blocking software exists but I do not feel it is a valuable approach to recommend.

ProZ.com ads are restricted to translation related clients only & further restricted to set locations & industry standards regarding size, frequency capping and more. ProZ.com does not leverage video ads, ads that force viewing prior to navigation, pop up or pop under ads and other common ad practices that, although derive higher revenue, are generally a nuisance.

When ads are relevant, topical & nuisance free they're well received even appreciated by many community member. I believe ProZ.com ads satisfy those criteria & are generally well received. The click rate & engagement supports that assertion.

If you have questions about specific ads or advertisements kindly submit a support request so they can be reviewed & addressed.

Thanks,

Drew MacFadyen
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the suggestions Mar 2, 2015

...which I shall now pursue.

The ads are the standard ones that I expect to find here - ie translation industry related - but it is only on this site that I have the problem.

Let's hope I hit what's causing it soon enough.

Many thanks to you all

Noni

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted Mar 4, 2015

Adblok plus has done the job - thanks for the recommendations. I'm afraid I don't currently have time to investigate further to find out the probable source of the problem, so sorry Drew, but I can confirm once more that the ads were the usual Proz ads - software etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invasive banner ads

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »