Thread poster: Elizabeth Tamblin
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree, cquest May 20, 2016

I've found exactly the same problem. The "new" system simply doesn't work. Quite useless as it now is. What on earth is Proz thinking of?
I too am supposed to be renewing my membership in a few days' time. I'm seriously wondering whether Proz is worth joining any more - much as I'd miss it.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
since Proz.com just bought TM-Town … May 20, 2016

someone should ask Henry, to ask Kevin to do it

Michael

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with you all May 22, 2016

I thought myself particularly stupid for only finding Kudoz answers through Google.
I don´t know the old system. But if it worked why not restore it?

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could you please provide some examples? May 23, 2016

Hello all,

Thanks for reporting these issues and for your concern.

Around May 1st some complaints were received regarding some search features of the Term search tool, such as the "Match entire phrase" setting. These features were not working as they should. Thanks to your reports, the problem was fixed by development staff on May 6th.

A couple of days later another issue was reported in which no results were being found when performing a particular term se
... See more
Hello all,

Thanks for reporting these issues and for your concern.

Around May 1st some complaints were received regarding some search features of the Term search tool, such as the "Match entire phrase" setting. These features were not working as they should. Thanks to your reports, the problem was fixed by development staff on May 6th.

A couple of days later another issue was reported in which no results were being found when performing a particular term search. In this case, results were not shown even if the users reporting this issue were completely sure there were results for their searches. This issue should be now solved too.

In relation to the latest issues reported in this thread regarding the results which are not found using the new term search, but which are indeed found using the old search tool or Google, specific examples of this error are needed in order to check this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, could you please state the term(s) you cannot find in the new term search, as well as your exact search criteria ("Match entire phrase", "Fuzzy diacritics", etc.)? That information will really help in addressing the problem. You can submit that via a support request or simply post those details here.

Thanks again for reporting this and for any information you can provide which will help us resolve these issues.

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:56
French to English
+ ...
Suggested answers May 24, 2016

Paula Durrosier wrote:

Thanks again for reporting this and for any information you can provide which will help us resolve these issues.

Best regards,

Paula

Hi Paula,

Do you have any thoughts on maintaining the previously easy access to other suggested answers? In previous discussions of Kudoz I've noted that I am not the only one that finds it necessary to read all the suggested answers for a given question, rather than just the one chosen as most appropriate. This means that I am more likely to open discussions that have received a large number of answers. The new system does not take this practice into consideration at all.

There are lots of reports of dubious Kudoz regulars getting behind incorrect answers as some sort of mutually beneficial point-building scheme and I almost never use Kudoz terms found in the glossary as they are almost always questionable. The new system seems to assume that this is not the case.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree... May 24, 2016

Georgie Scott wrote:

Paula Durrosier wrote:

Best regards,

Paula

Hi Paula,

Do you have any thoughts on maintaining the previously easy access to other suggested answers? In previous discussions of Kudoz I've noted that I am not the only one that finds it necessary to read all the suggested answers for a given question, rather than just the one chosen as most appropriate. This means that I am more likely to open discussions that have received a large number of answers. The new system does not take this practice into consideration at all.

There are lots of reports of dubious Kudoz regulars getting behind incorrect answers as some sort of mutually beneficial point-building scheme and I almost never use Kudoz terms found in the glossary as they are almost always questionable. The new system seems to assume that this is not the case.

I agree. It's vital to be able to see ALL the suggested answers.

If something isn't broken, don't fix it.

Paula Durrosier
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your suggestions! May 26, 2016

Hi Georgie and Tom,

Thanks for your replies and for your suggestions.

Indeed, it is a good suggestion to have easy access to all suggested answers for a given question, and to see the number of suggested options for a specific term next to each term search result. I will add this to our list of tasks and improvements for the term search tool.

In the meantime, if you still need help with the term search, plea
... See more
Hi Georgie and Tom,

Thanks for your replies and for your suggestions.

Indeed, it is a good suggestion to have easy access to all suggested answers for a given question, and to see the number of suggested options for a specific term next to each term search result. I will add this to our list of tasks and improvements for the term search tool.

In the meantime, if you still need help with the term search, please don't hesitate to submit a support request, or post in this forum.

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Is it possible to switch back to the old version? May 27, 2016

If so, how? I'm with others that I thoroughly dislike the new term search (and term search is the only reason I use Proz). But I see no way of switching back to the old style.

Edit: "Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil". Don't know how I managed to miss the "return to old style" box. But that's certainly all I'll be using in future!

[Edited at 2016-05-27 07:25 GMT]

cquest
cquest  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Hoped to find it fixed but no Sep 2, 2016

It's been a few months now since people started pointing out the problem, so it's time it got fixed.

Whenever I want to find something I have to click "Go back to the old term search" first.
A query will typically return zero to three results on the new term search site, but many more on the old site.
You don't call it an improvement, do you?

Could you please restore the functionality?

Paula Durrosier
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please provide examples Sep 2, 2016

Hi all,

As I mention above, if you can provide one or two examples of the searches you are making that are causing this, it will better help me to look into the matter. You can submit a support request here http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&sp_sub_mode=ticket_submit . Thank you.

Best regards,

Paula

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
entire phrase, not exact match Sep 2, 2016

I was having this trouble several months ago, too, when it wouldn't let me keep the old way as default and I had to re-enter my term when nothing showed up. It turns out that I had "exact match" marked (which was the default, I think). But if I chose "entire phrase" instead, then it would show. Maybe this is the solution for at least some of you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to ProZ.com term search?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »