Thread poster: Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

We are a community of translators. We are professionals with vast experience that could be readily established as a highly profitable company/community with a global reach much larger than companies that have a greater marketing power, some coordination, and almost everyone poor logistics; those developing applications and automated translation software are not exactly translation sites, this last point appear to be essential, mi opinion is that we can take off!

Why does it seem li
... See more
We are a community of translators. We are professionals with vast experience that could be readily established as a highly profitable company/community with a global reach much larger than companies that have a greater marketing power, some coordination, and almost everyone poor logistics; those developing applications and automated translation software are not exactly translation sites, this last point appear to be essential, mi opinion is that we can take off!

Why does it seem like this community stops at a certain point? Do you agree? As if we were expecting a radical change from nowhere, yet with a dynamic integration, quality, ideas, information, and much more... Yet completely lose in the major business trends… According to Proz.com, we number more than 170,000 translators worldwide dedicated to this noble and excellent work; we are freelancers, free souls, and free minded. We can obtain much more if we were to join efforts. It is clear that not everyone is "very active" but we can start a small revolution in conjunction with the staff of Proz.com or many others in the business if we can accomplish goals.

Think about an extra income parallel to your Proz and other activities. My experience of nearly nine years has shown me a variety of opportunities as well as a wide range of needs and gaps. It is important to join efforts with those seeking a steady income, dedicated full-time translators. Passionate professionals, motivated individuals. What can we do to start a lucrative business? Is it feasible?

Here are some options: The first and most important action is to unite the intellectual, empirical, and software development efforts and then interact with the staff of proz.com or any other as a junction venture or, on the other hand, if Proz’s interests are different, start our own site with the endorsement of Proz.com that will also receive economic benefits by way of a lucrative share. It is highly important to remain side by side with Proz because the credibility and reputation of the site/staff and commitment is excellent… Highly valuable and ultimately a point of advice, consultation, and development with a dynamic and expandable platform.

Online, on demand projects are currently managed by two important platforms; Lionbridge and Onehourtranslation; they are our main competitors. This demand occurs due to urgency. In a short research (not statistically significant) in 79% of cases (own source OHT work in four different languages, German, Hebrew, Russian, and Spanish). The remainder is a well-directed and specific sale that is planned by a few heads, sometimes for only one person with just a few marketing strategies. Something we can do locally in a better and stronger way no doubt.

The applications that these businesses are using actually still developing and are not as effective as they could be and the immediate global access is not present in full. We can do that in different proportions and pathways. In every country, several of us are working hard and permanently so we can get standard daily goals, but not daily payment… The possibility of daily money is fantastic. (Same as the program that Man Power© uses in USA. In our case, the virtuality, CLOUD, VoIP, Apps, Translation software, and many other tools are an strong point to open horizons, tools that we will develop or get better during the process.

A community like ours can work and accept such projects (on demand) at a lower cost and with specific guidelines working from several fronts, worldwide, over the free cloud, free downloads/uploads sites, always using our circuit of quality and excellence. Besides all of this, we can also think about a future solicitation for public and private funds offering selected tailored tariffs to governments, companies, organizations, schools, etc. Besides interacting, offer and make available other services such as interpretation, instant translation review from robots, software, subtitling, dubbing, app translation, gaming on real time translation, etc. Our chances will always be greater and the highest quality is an opportunity. In my case, I have access to contracts with the US Government already, a call center with 10 chairs 100% bilingual, and clear options using third party marketing strategies and social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Skype, YouTube, and many more. We scare from nothing, no one!

For the first time, we should also consider purchasing a generalized parallel means of payment to PayPal, Moneybookers/Skrill card, and common credit cards or debit cards and banks; debit cards are a tangible tool of payment, phone payments apps, etc. The market is full of options; remember that we total 170,000 on Proz. A few years ago, Proz.com was about to link efforts with a company related to this type of cards but some points might have been missed, I do not know. Perhaps stronger research is needed. We can divide the task and get as fast as any other to our goals.

Likewise, a health insurance and retirement plan can appear in our horizon and become a tangible reality: In talks with several US companies, English and Latin American we could be the first team to have a policy of retreat, life, and health unified for any continent, first for major medical expenses and with certain restrictions, but dynamics is the word in the table for each of us: Professional translators.

It is not easy, the accounting line is always the point, the money... But access a real time site showing the moves will give us and our customers the point of calm, the safety room. Let's raise the curtain, the foundations are ready, the media favor us and we are the most selected and strong team throughout the global market, with no geographical barriers, and with the freedom of development. The media is available for free or at very low cost. We must join our efforts together because each freelancer deserves better pay, many options, and a future with greater chances for development and retirement.

Accept this invitation. Do not stay in the reading of words, working together in a space where ideas and excellence will give us the best outcomes. Realistically, I understand that this dynamic is not for everyone, NOT for those who do not fight for their future, for those who expect a windfall, for the mediocre... The invitation is made. The work begins daily and the possibilities are highly lucrative...
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:13
German to English
+ ...
Interesting... Apr 17, 2015

You have presented an interesting proposal, but...

in my opinion, the hurdles to such a project on a large scale are insurmountable, much like herding cats:
(Caution: If you do not want to watch a humorous US ad about herding cats, do not click on the link, but it makes my point very well!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

On a more serious note
... See more
You have presented an interesting proposal, but...

in my opinion, the hurdles to such a project on a large scale are insurmountable, much like herding cats:
(Caution: If you do not want to watch a humorous US ad about herding cats, do not click on the link, but it makes my point very well!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

On a more serious note, I wish you luck. I would welcome it if you found enough like-minded colleagues to support the idea and join you in this effort. Personally, I prefer working on my own.
Collapse

Joel Pina Diaz
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I understand that this dynamic is not for everyone... Apr 17, 2015

I truly respect your point of view and this exercise will give me a superficial approach about what's next no doubt. No one is questioning here to quit their own job, I might not explain myself properly. I see this as a side or long term opportunity and in many other ways a chance to jump to a great chance, a difference...

Joel Pina Diaz
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restarting your Translation business May 1, 2015

Joel Pina Diaz wrote:

I truly respect your point of view and this exercise will give me a superficial approach about what's next no doubt. No one is questioning here to quit their own job, I might not explain myself properly. I see this as a side or long term opportunity and in many other ways a chance to jump to a great opportunity, a big difference...

Please read my article "Restarting your Translation business"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing future using Proz plataform

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »