Thread poster: neilmac
Aurora Humarán
Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
English to Spanish
... Apr 24, 2015

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Not that it was always thus. There was a time when it had a proper professional community feel to it. But now it seems the priority is merely traffic and the money it brings. Which is a decision the owner is perfectly entitled to make. And possibly not the way he saw things heading when it started. But we all gotta eat, I suppose.

But to get to the main point, perhaps. One reason people criticise this website elsewhere is simply that it's pretty difficult to criticise proz on proz itself. Again, a decision site management is perfectly entitled to make. But I do know that some fairly draconian moderation decisions have driven many people away (sometimes to leave, sometimes just to keep their own counsel).

Again, this was not always the case - I recall brisk discussion about several site-related issues some years ago. Some of the criticism voiced elsewhere is generated by frustration about what this website could have been, and the direction is has taken in the last few years. But once again, if you place your online activities into someone else's hands, you have to take management decisions on the chin or go elsewhere.

And many have gone elsewhere. Many of the people I see making robust criticism of this website are either ex-members or silent members. This place could have been the only place any of us ever needed to be members of, because if those people were still here and active, it would meet the needs of most of us. But proz has chosen its route, so people have gone elsewhere, and proz won't allow robust criticism of that route on here (fair enough), so criticism has to be voiced elsewhere. QED as far as I'm concerned.

That just about sums it up.

Indeed!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Apr 24, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Most of the people who are most critical of this site seems to be doing just fine, as far as I can tell.

I have seen people say stuff along the lines of "I've been on this site for ages and still can't get any work" but usually on here. Not elsewhere. The advice offered often contains statements to the effect proz isn't the be-all-and-end-all, and being elsewhere is good, too.

Not that it was always thus. There was a time when it had a proper professional community feel to it. But now it seems the priority is merely traffic and the money it brings. Which is a decision the owner is perfectly entitled to make. And possibly not the way he saw things heading when it started. But we all gotta eat, I suppose.

But to get to the main point, perhaps. One reason people criticise this website elsewhere is simply that it's pretty difficult to criticise proz on proz itself. Again, a decision site management is perfectly entitled to make. But I do know that some fairly draconian moderation decisions have driven many people away (sometimes to leave, sometimes just to keep their own counsel).

Again, this was not always the case - I recall brisk discussion about several site-related issues some years ago. Some of the criticism voiced elsewhere is generated by frustration about what this website could have been, and the direction is has taken in the last few years. But once again, if you place your online activities into someone else's hands, you have to take management decisions on the chin or go elsewhere.

And many have gone elsewhere. Many of the people I see making robust criticism of this website are either ex-members or silent members. This place could have been the only place any of us ever needed to be members of, because if those people were still here and active, it would meet the needs of most of us. But proz has chosen its route, so people have gone elsewhere, and proz won't allow robust criticism of that route on here (fair enough), so criticism has to be voiced elsewhere. QED as far as I'm concerned.

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
This about sums it up Apr 24, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Most of the people who are most critical of this site seems to be doing just fine, as far as I can tell.

I have seen people say stuff along the lines of "I've been on this site for ages and still can't get any work" but usually on here. Not elsewhere. The advice offered often contains statements to the effect proz isn't the be-all-and-end-all, and being elsewhere is good, too.

Proz can't be everything to everyone and there must be some rules but because of the direction it has taken so many extraordinary translators, including former moderators, felt they had no choice but to leave.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Been there Apr 24, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

It all sums it up.

But if I cannot vent constructive criticism here, I do not participate in bashing elsewhere either.

My clients did that already. And still do.

For some time, I thought that the site could go on as a social website. Just forums and mutual help. We would 'like' each other and it would eliminate the competition side.
Nope.

[Edited at 2015-04-24 16:06 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:41
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Prim and prudish Apr 24, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:
One reason people criticise this website elsewhere is simply that it's pretty difficult to criticise proz on proz itself. Again, a decision site management is perfectly entitled to make. But I do know that some fairly draconian moderation decisions have driven many people away (sometimes to leave, sometimes just to keep their own counsel).

My knowledge of and participation in ProZ only dates back a year, but what Charlie says rings true. I find ProZ to be a very... what's the word? I almost want to say "prudish" site.

I find moderators quick to act and heavy-handed when they do act, often snuffing out comments that moderators on most other forums would let stand. (And I have some experience here, having been online for nearly 30 years, starting with JANET in the late 1980s and Cix during its heyday in the pre-internet days of the early 1990s.)

One of my posts was deleted because it included the words "I'm somewhat alarmed to find myself partly agreeing with Mr. A ", where Mr. A was another user who - as I verified by email - had taken no offence. Who in their right minds would construe that as offensive anyway? But deleted it was.

I've seen other, equally innocuous messages struck out. In nearly all cases these were posts that the man or woman in the street would not consider to be problematical. Maybe it's because management (New York-based, right?) is a bastion of political correctness. Maybe it's because many moderators are not, as far as I can see, native speakers of English and may be unable to accurately assess tone in written English.

Whatever. Contrary to the stated aims of one of the site staff in a recent post, heavy-handed moderation does not give the impression that ProZ is a professional site for mature people. Heavy-handed moderation gives the impression that ProZ is run by prim busybodies who do not trust their paying users and who would rather drive them away than risk giving offense to some imaginary "sensitive reader".

Allowing only milquetoast discussions is not the way to build an energetic and thriving community. People will go elsewhere to talk and maybe one day elsewhere to pay for access to job listings.

Regards
Dan

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
I remember that Apr 24, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

One of my posts was deleted because it included the words "I'm somewhat alarmed to find myself partly agreeing with Mr. A ", where Mr. A was another user who - as I verified by email - had taken no offence. Who in their right minds would construe that as offensive anyway? But deleted it was.

It surely was not offensive. Was it deleted? Wow.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:41
German to English
Site run by translators? Apr 24, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

I find moderators quick to act and heavy-handed when they do act, often snuffing out comments that moderators on most other forums would let stand....

I've seen other, equally innocuous messages struck out. In nearly all cases these were posts that the man or woman in the street would not consider to be problematical. Maybe it's because management (New York-based, right?) is a bastion of political correctness. Maybe it's because many moderators are not, as far as I can see, native speakers of English and may be unable to accurately assess tone in written English.

Whatever. Contrary to the stated aims of one of the site staff in a recent post, heavy-handed moderation does not give the impression that ProZ is a professional site for mature people. Heavy-handed moderation gives the impression that ProZ is run by prim busybodies who do not trust their paying users and who would rather drive them away than risk giving offense to some imaginary "sensitive reader".

Allowing only milquetoast discussions is not the way to build an energetic and thriving community. People will go elsewhere to talk and maybe one day elsewhere to pay for access to job listings.

Regards
Dan

Actually, management is based in Argentina. Any comments I make here must be approved by staff in advance, so I'll have to choose my words carefully. I think the heavy-handedness you refer to has a lot to do with the extent to which staff members are translators. A language barrier is also a factor in some cases, but years of experience as professional translators would make a world of difference in understanding how translators feel about their profession and the need for "robust discussion" that Charlie mentions.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Free speech Apr 24, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:
Maybe it's because management (New York-based, right?) is a bastion of political correctness. Maybe it's because many moderators are not, as far as I can see, native speakers of English and may be unable to accurately assess tone in written English.

The moderators I guess (haven't examined profiles recently) hail from all over this planet. The staff, someone correct me if I'm wrong, are based in Argentina.

Contrary to the stated aims of one of the site staff in a recent post, heavy-handed moderation does not give the impression that ProZ is a professional site for mature people. Heavy-handed moderation gives the impression that ProZ is run by prim busybodies who do not trust their paying users and who would rather drive them away than risk giving offense to some imaginary "sensitive reader".

You're not wrong. However, judging from some of the posts you see in the multiple offshoots of Proz, I wonder if (this is going to sound controversial) moderation on a public forum is a blessing in disguise. Translators appear to be a hot-headed bunch and, in some cases, free speech is not doing their public image any favours. I'm not saying that is the motivation behind the heavy-handed moderation on here, which I suspect is primarily to do with keeping advertisers/corporate sponsors happy.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I wholehartedly agree with Charlie's post Apr 24, 2015

I was here, and I am still here, but disenchanted. It was quite different then.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Absolutely Apr 24, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

There was a time when it had a proper professional community feel to it. But now it seems the priority is merely traffic and the money it brings. Which is a decision the owner is perfectly entitled to make. And possibly not the way he saw things heading when it started. But we all gotta eat, I suppose.

The site used to be run by someone who responded to users on the "customer is (almost) always right" principle. Nowadays it is run by salaried staff defending the status quo.
Rather like trying to negotiate a price with a shop assistant rather than a shopkeeper.
Nevertheless, the site is still a huge asset to the profession and I will often defend it against unjustified criticism.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Use what works for you and your business, here and elsewhere Apr 24, 2015

Hello all,

Yesterday in another thread I posted about ProZ.com's scope and rules, and how they limit what can be discussed on the site, and how those things can be discussed. Staff and moderators work to uphold the scope and rules in the forums. The scope and rules are not arbitrary. They were built up over time and through experience, and for the vast majority of people who use ProZ.com, they work-- that is, they
... See more
Hello all,

Yesterday in another thread I posted about ProZ.com's scope and rules, and how they limit what can be discussed on the site, and how those things can be discussed. Staff and moderators work to uphold the scope and rules in the forums. The scope and rules are not arbitrary. They were built up over time and through experience, and for the vast majority of people who use ProZ.com, they work-- that is, they help to maintain the results-oriented atmosphere that has always been the intention of the forums in such a way that those people can focus on improving their work, expanding their businesses and networking, while having fun.

Criticism of ProZ.com on ProZ.com is not a problem. Constructive criticism of ProZ.com is welcome and appreciated, though not all of it gets implemented.

Statements or discussions which are not in line with site rules and scope are where moderators and staff act. It is important to point out that moderators and staff are protected by, and also subject to, those same rules and scope. They are also all human, unfortunately, at least as far as I can tell. Anyone who feels that a forum post, KudoZ interaction, or whathaveyou, has been the subject of administrative action which is not in line with the site rules and scope can report this for investigation. The correct channel for that is the support system rather than the forums. If for some reason you prefer not to contact support, you can contact me.

As for the criticism of ProZ.com on other sites than ProZ.com (the original topic of this thread): I have a lot less to add to the discussion, sorry! There are a lot of tools and resources on this site, and all over the Internet, that are available to translators. Smart freelancers take what they need for their business from different sources, and luckily we are living in a moment when those resources abound and continue to grow. On this end of things, the ProZ.com site team are focused on ProZ.com, and have always worked with, and will continue to work with, members of the community in making changes and adding services to the site. Those who have constructive criticism or want to propose changes can reach site staff directly with ease, and do.

Enjoy your weekend.

Jared
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Moving the topic to the Coop Apr 24, 2015

Just a heads-up that I am moving this thread over to the Translator Coop, http://www.proz.com/forum/23 , where the topic fits a bit better. Continue enjoying your weekend.

Jared

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Just an observation Apr 25, 2015

"However, Proz-bashers are not usually receptive to reasoned argument."

Sorry Christine, but this is virtually the only statement made so far with which I would have to disagree.

The "usually unreceptive" ones would be the frustrated wannabees seeking Fiona's "magic bullet" - they're probably also baffled as to why their power bracelet doesn't seem to work as promised.

---o---

CB's post, obviously, sums it up.

But I
... See more
"However, Proz-bashers are not usually receptive to reasoned argument."

Sorry Christine, but this is virtually the only statement made so far with which I would have to disagree.

The "usually unreceptive" ones would be the frustrated wannabees seeking Fiona's "magic bullet" - they're probably also baffled as to why their power bracelet doesn't seem to work as promised.

---o---

CB's post, obviously, sums it up.

But I think what should be stressed (especially for those who have joined recently) is that some of the fiercest critics of the site are precisely those who once felt a real "attachment" to it - it's not simply people spewing mindless criticism; it's real disappointment on their part.

Many of them in their day contributed greatly to this site and later felt let down by the turn it took.
They're elsewhere, and forgot about this site years ago.

And, without wishing to turn this thread into a limp-down-memory-lane, I think it's significant that I've seen more "old faces" in the last few hours than in a long time; those I've been familiar with since circa 2001. (Hola Au, Hi Kim, et al....).

They're right and should be listened to, I believe, by both newcomers and staff.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Exception Apr 25, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

lets rogue agencies hide their intent behind an aura of "purchased" high Blue Board scores;

There's obviously no purchasing of Blue Board scores (what a silly idea!), but negative entries face more restrictions than positive ones (subject, conditions etc.), if only because nobody's likely going to challenge a positive comment and request that it be vetted for compliance with the rules.

Also, Proz may not know this, but BlueBoard outsourcers make use of gagging clauses in their standard contracts. I've seen that on my own eyes. They make translators sign contracts that contain obligations not to criticize the company online. Obviously, they don't contractually outlaw positive WWAs. Hence the lack of balance, and multiplication of only positive scores in the hundreds.

Proz.com probably can't do anything about that, but at the same time the BlueBoard does continue to exist as a not quite reliable tool for evaluating large and powerful outsourcers, i.e. not really what it promises to be.

misleads translators into wrong solutions by letting bad answers be chosen on Kudoz;

Proz doesn't directly do that, but reliance on the asker for the picking — by his or her own admission the party least qualified to judge — has its inherent flaws. Also community votes can go bad, as evidenced e.g. by contest results.

Thus, not a conspiracy or anything else silly like that, but still a flaw in the system that doesn't get addressed, and there's no will to address it, either. This justifiably invokes feelings of opposition and frustration.

All of the above is not to accuse either party, just to enhance the picture when discussing these matters. Whichever side one's on, one's got to admit the picture isn't fully black and white.

However the unsuccessful translator who:
failed (...) ... will experience soothing relief as soon as they can blame Proz entirely for their failure.

Compensational blame and scapegoating exists, but it ain't as simple as that. 'Bashing' can't be reduced to unsuccessful translators needing to vent.

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I have to agree. Moderation could use sensitivity training, along with a bit more respect for paying users (not only re: moderation). I was put on pre-moderation for like a month for criticizing the quality of winning entries in a contest that had already selected the winners, just hadn't perhaps been formally closed yet, but results had been determined and my posts unable to change anything. I got no private message or anything, they just switched it on like that. I have previously encountered heavy-handed and not quite reasonable moderation too (I had originally registered in part to escape premoderation as a non-member), as have other people, and the propensity for using canned responses and avoiding meaningful, substantive explanations or replies is quite visible, as well as unwillingless or inability to change, which implies not caring.

Jared Tabor wrote:

Yesterday in another thread I posted about ProZ.com's scope and rules, and how they limit what can be discussed on the site, and how those things can be discussed. Staff and moderators work to uphold the scope and rules in the forums. The scope and rules are not arbitrary.

The rules generally are not (there is a problem with BB rules, but I guess that results from potential lawsuits rather than staff's preference), but application sometimes it. And when it's not arbitrary per se, the style might be, and communication about moderator actions is very far from perfect. Generally, communicating with Proz.com via the support system is an extremely onerous ordeal due to staff pasting in excerpts from rules without explaining their interpretation of them, just repeating things a second time while adding 'hope this helps' etc. Insufficient passive command of English may be an additional source of problems, too, sometimes. In any case, a most horrible experience almost every time. This said, there are exceptions. No names, but one specific person is a pleasure to correspond witth and another is more than okay to talk to.

Criticism of ProZ.com on ProZ.com is not a problem. Constructive criticism of ProZ.com is welcome and appreciated, though not all of it gets implemented.

Sorry, Jared, but the bolded part is quite an understatament. :/ I realize you guys've got other things to do and plenty of things to do anyway, but fact still stands, it's mostly talking to a wall.

Those who have constructive criticism or want to propose changes can reach site staff directly with ease, and do.

I'm sorry, but I've been there done that (many, many times), and 'easy' is among the last words I'd use. I'd been brought to the verge of despair by the difficulty before, actually, before I just stopped. Explained in more detail above, anyway.

Fiona Peterson wrote:

I too find ProZ bashing extremely annoying, and I'm not quite sure what drives it, maybe the simple reason that Christine mentioned - anger that ProZ is not the "magic bullet" some hoped it would be in terms of generating work.

Yup.

Building a freelance career and client base is hard work, and perhaps some are simply frustrated that a paid ProZ membership does not equate to a magic wand.

Again.

[Edited at 2015-04-25 02:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-25 02:35 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Apr 25, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

yes, a bit sad really... Having met Henry personally, I thought he wanted to move the site in a different direction, but that didn't happen. Why? We'll never know. But I think a great opportunity has been missed...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz-bashing on FB and elsewhere

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »