warning : new attempted traveller check overpayment fraud
Thread poster: Francesca Morgano
Ximena Diaz (X)
Ximena Diaz (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also receive the same email.. Jun 29, 2011

I also received this type of scam on craigslist.

same thing... Jul 19, 2011

happened to me, got the request, sent quote, got the text, edited it, sent it back, got cheques over ten times the agreed sum, tried to cash the cheques, which were forged, then got request to sent 3/4 of the funds back, went to the police, and that's it. anyhow, good to know that i am not the only one...

Post hidden: The author has been asked to edit this post for the following reason: Please remove this individual's name from the title of your post. Thank you!
Herman Boel (X)
Herman Boel (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
same scam but different name Aug 7, 2011

I got the same request for translation of a malaria text but from English into Dutch.
The requester's name was Amanda Leigh and the traveler cheques came from Greece and the difference in money had to be sent to Greece as well.

I was stupid or naive enough to make the translation but fortunately found out in time that the traveler cheques I received were counterfeit, so I did not lose any money as I had not yet sent any money back.

I wish I had read this forum bef
... See more
I got the same request for translation of a malaria text but from English into Dutch.
The requester's name was Amanda Leigh and the traveler cheques came from Greece and the difference in money had to be sent to Greece as well.

I was stupid or naive enough to make the translation but fortunately found out in time that the traveler cheques I received were counterfeit, so I did not lose any money as I had not yet sent any money back.

I wish I had read this forum before I agreed to this, but well, no money lost except for some time.
Collapse

Clara Fernández
Clara Fernández  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proofreading Malaria related document Mar 6, 2015

I have received a similar request. This person is from an address in Ada, Michigan. When I try to look up the address it does not show up and he insists on prepaying with a check. I had a similar experience before. If they want my services they have to prepay via Paypal only, absolutely no checks. Thank you all for your posts and please lets keep this information going for the benefit of us all.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
HELP SAVE JAPAN TODAY Mar 7, 2015

"Hello,

How are you doing today? I am El XXXX XXXX an Italian born living in Spain now,i want you to know if you are available for translating document base on malaria...However how much do you charge per page,awaits your mail soon.

I wish you a pleasant Day.

Regards,
El XXXX XXXXX
English to Italian

HELP SAVE JAPAN TODAY"

It's funny that they ended the email with 'help save japan today'. What in the world does that mean? Or maybe it was a link?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

warning : new attempted traveller check overpayment fraud

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »