Francesca Morgano
Francesca Morgano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:30
English to Italian
+ ...
May 25, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I write this message to warn you about a new fraud attempt. Last week I received an email containing the message you can read below. This is a scam, if you answer the message they will tell you that they will pay the work with traveler's cheques, then send cheques for an amount which is higher than the agreed, and finally ask you to return the excess money through Western Union to a third person never mentioned before. The same procedure as many other scams I have r
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I write this message to warn you about a new fraud attempt. Last week I received an email containing the message you can read below. This is a scam, if you answer the message they will tell you that they will pay the work with traveler's cheques, then send cheques for an amount which is higher than the agreed, and finally ask you to return the excess money through Western Union to a third person never mentioned before. The same procedure as many other scams I have read about in this forum! And we know the end of the story.
So if you receveid this message and still have doubts... just ignore that.

For those who never heard about this kind of scams, I advise you to read this page:
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams
It was created by proz members, I guess. It was really useful to me.

The message was:
"Hello,

How are you doing today? I am El XXXX XXXX an Italian born living in Spain now,i want you to know if you are available for translating document base on malaria...However how much do you charge per page,awaits your mail soon.

I wish you a pleasant Day.

Regards,
El XXXX XXXXX
English to Italian

HELP SAVE JAPAN TODAY"
Collapse

cristina di frenna
cristina di frenna  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
same experience May 31, 2011

I received the same request at the beginning of May. I told her to pay me by bank transfer or paypal otherwise I wouldn't do the translation. She is disappeared. I'm sorry for you! cristina

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 09:30
Japanese to English
In general May 31, 2011

Every time a prospective client starts an email by writing their whole background (I was born here, now I live there and am doing business over there), it should raise a massive red flag. You don't need to know that about a client to do the job.

Paula Suárez Ferradáns
Paula Suárez Ferradáns  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same scam Jun 17, 2011

I am glad I did a search on the Internet about this guy!

I received exactly the same message today, only difference was that he said the document was from English to Spanish. The whole thing sounded really fishy...I won't even bother to reply then!

Cheers,
Paula

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Thank you Jun 19, 2011

for the warning, I got the same e-mail today (English to German).

Lieselotte Kleinhans
Lieselotte Kleinhans  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
Thank you Jun 20, 2011

Hello,

Last night I received the same email and it sounded strange to me. So, I am glad I did some research and found this thread.

Regards,
Lieselotte

Andrea Kopf
Andrea Kopf  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
The same here Jun 20, 2011

Many thanks for your warning. I have also been asked whether I could translate the malaria document into German.

Regards,
Andrea

Alexander Molter (X)
Alexander Molter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Malaria document Jun 20, 2011

Dear Francesca,

I also appreciate your warning highly as I have got the same sort of mail from the said person. This time it was the malaria document. I received the offer of an 50% advance payment, also by cheque. I thought the offer suspicious which is now confirmed.

Thanks again,
Alexander

Katharina Lanz
Katharina Lanz
English to German
+ ...
Thank You Jun 20, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I just received the same email today and was asked to translate a text on malaria from English to German.

Fortunately, I came accross your warnings. Thank you very much!!!!

Katharina

thierry niderman
thierry niderman  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Merci !! Jun 20, 2011

Reçu la meme demande ce jour de l'anglais au français..Bizarrement le texte est tout à fait valable ...

Thierry

Dom21
Dom21
English to French
+ ...
attempted fraud Jun 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I have also received the same offer yesterdaywith the document attached, whick looked ok and have replied with an estimate before knowing that was an attempted fraud. I have since replied warning the sender of that fraud and mentioning that it was a rather known subject among translators. No news since... Are there any risks in giving one's professional details as we usually do in an estimate?

Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Same scam Jun 22, 2011

Dear Colleagues :

Many thanks for the warning. As this message first sound really weird to me, I was pretty carefull. This is their reply :

"Thanks for your mail and the payment is through check so send me your name and address where the check will be mail to."

I forwarded them my professional address but have not received the check so far.

Should I tale any measure against these scammers ?

Best regards,

Pierre

Anke Guido
Anke Guido
English to German
+ ...
me too Jun 23, 2011

A copyeditor colleague of mine received a request from the same person. This time it was a terrible English text about adolescence that was supposed to be edited and proofread. She didn't have time for the job, so asked me. I had a strange feeling about it and, voilà, a quick google search brought up this.

MichaelaT
MichaelaT  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Same text, same person Jun 29, 2011

The guy is still active - same letter in the same horrible English.
I sent him a link to this forum post and asked for an explanation...

[Edited at 2011-06-29 09:54 GMT]

ENGL
ENGL
English to German
+ ...
Same persosn,same e-mail.Please be careful! Jun 29, 2011

Right, same e-mail, some person...BE CAREFUL. I send him/her an offer for a English-German translation....I ask him/her to pay me in advance. I didn't receive the money,after 1 week I asked him/her if he/she has send the money. Today I received that e-mail:

Morning,
> Thanks for your mail and how is your day going? Some people
>request for translation to be done and run away with your money,i do have a
>personal translator but right now she is sic
... See more
Right, same e-mail, some person...BE CAREFUL. I send him/her an offer for a English-German translation....I ask him/her to pay me in advance. I didn't receive the money,after 1 week I asked him/her if he/she has send the money. Today I received that e-mail:

Morning,
> Thanks for your mail and how is your day going? Some people
>request for translation to be done and run away with your money,i do have a
>personal translator but right now she is sick that is why am looking for a
>competent and trustworthy translator.I have gave a job to a translator and paid
>him advance and he did run away with my money and i don't want to be a victim
>anymore but am ready to give you a chance which i will pay you upfront because
>there are many jobs we are going to do together.This is a charity which help
>less privilege kid around there world also the money is needed for Japan
>relief,I hope you understand me.
>>However,my sponsor notify me that the check has mail out and there was a mistake
>with the amount on the check which is Eur 2000 so what i want you to do know is
>get it cashed and you will send the difference back to us after you have deduct
>your money so you will send it to us through western union,you are saving a
>million lives and may God almighty bless you as you do so also i attach my
>international passport with this mail.Awaits your mail soon.
>
>
>I wish you a pleasant weekend.
>
>
>Regards,
>XXXX.

*uaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I googled him/her and found the warning on proz.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

warning : new attempted traveller check overpayment fraud

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »