Barbara Turitto
Italy
Local time: 07:54
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same e-mail - Justin Gilbert Aug 2, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I received the same e-mail... Unfortunately, I have already responded with my detais.
What inexperienced!

B.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too! Aug 2, 2011

Leticia Klemetz, CT wrote:

Hello colleagues,

I received a similar offer by some Justin Gilbert ([email protected]), and the file to translate was also on Racial Discrimination.

I am copying the thread for you:

It's so important to be alert!! Scams these days are very prevalent.
Regards,
Tisha

----------------------
Dear Translator,

Thank you for getting back at me. Could you tell me how much it is going to cost for the project to be translated? In the mean time, do not hesitate to reply me with your information as listed below so that Payment can be prepared and sent to you by post via a Bank guaranteed certified cheque.

1.Full name to be written on the Cheque
2.Street address
3.City
4.State
5.Zip code
6.Mobile phone number

Find the enclosed attachment of the project, and the deadline is 2 months starting from August 10, 2011. Should you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me.

I await your urgent reply in due time.

Kind regards,
Justing Gilbert.

On 7/27/11, Leticia Klemetz, CT wrote:
> Hello Justin,
> I did receive your email. Before confirming my availability, I need to
> see a sample and learn about the deadline.
> Regards,
>
> ------Mensaje original------
> De: Justin Gilbert
> Para: Tisha Trads
> Asunto: TRANSLATOR WANTED..
> Enviado: 27 de jul, 2011 09:53
>
> Hello,
>
> Your service as a translator is urgently needed for a text worth
> 22,500 words from English to Spanish. I hope to read from you in due
> time as regard your availability for this project.
>
> Kind regards,
> Justin Gilbert.
>
>
> Leticia Klemetz, CT
> Certified translator Swedish>Spanish from my BlackBerry®

Hi, everyone!

Today I have also received exactly the same e-mail from Justin Gilbert. How do you know this guy is a scammer or not?

Well, the strange things to me were:

- gmail account
- euros rates (his IP number shows he is in the United States)
- why would he post a "Bank guaranteed certified cheque"? I have never heard this, and if we both have Europe-based bank accounts, a quick wire transfer is all you need
- no information whatsoever about this guy (no signature, no phone number, no company name, etc.)
- asking for my mobile phone number (they normally ask for the landline number or the Skype/MSN contact)

[Edited at 2011-08-02 13:36 GMT]

Nuria Morales
Nuria Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:54
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too!! Aug 2, 2011

hello everyone!!

I had just received the text on racism, and exactly the res of the mail, thanks for your aid to identify scams.

Regards

Nuria
-----------------------------------

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Leticia Klemetz, CT wrote:

Hello colleagues,

I received a similar offer by some Justin Gilbert ([email protected]), and the file to translate was also on Racial Discrimination.

I am copying the thread for you:

It's so important to be alert!! Scams these days are very prevalent.
Regards,
Tisha

----------------------
Dear Translator,

Thank you for getting back at me. Could you tell me how much it is going to cost for the project to be translated? In the mean time, do not hesitate to reply me with your information as listed below so that Payment can be prepared and sent to you by post via a Bank guaranteed certified cheque.

1.Full name to be written on the Cheque
2.Street address
3.City
4.State
5.Zip code
6.Mobile phone number

Find the enclosed attachment of the project, and the deadline is 2 months starting from August 10, 2011. Should you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me.

I await your urgent reply in due time.

Kind regards,
Justing Gilbert.

On 7/27/11, Leticia Klemetz, CT wrote:
> Hello Justin,
> I did receive your email. Before confirming my availability, I need to
> see a sample and learn about the deadline.
> Regards,
>
> ------Mensaje original------
> De: Justin Gilbert
> Para: Tisha Trads
> Asunto: TRANSLATOR WANTED..
> Enviado: 27 de jul, 2011 09:53
>
> Hello,
>
> Your service as a translator is urgently needed for a text worth
> 22,500 words from English to Spanish. I hope to read from you in due
> time as regard your availability for this project.
>
> Kind regards,
> Justin Gilbert.
>
>
> Leticia Klemetz, CT
> Certified translator Swedish>Spanish from my BlackBerry®

Hi, everyone!

Today I have also received exactly the same e-mail from Justin Gilbert. How do you know this guy is a scammer or not?

Well, the strange things to me were:

- gmail account
- euros rates (his IP number shows he is in the United States)
- why would he post a "Bank guaranteed certified cheque"? I have never heard this, and if we both have Europe-based bank accounts, a quick wire transfer is all you need
- no information whatsoever about this guy (no signature, no phone number, no company name, etc.)
- asking for my mobile phone number (they normally ask for the landline number or the Skype/MSN contact)

[Edited at 2011-08-02 13:36 GMT]

silviaceccato
silviaceccato
Italy
Local time: 07:55
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
[email protected] Aug 3, 2011

Lack of experience for me too!

I received exactely the same e-mail from that guy but I realised there was something strange just after I send my details, I wish I'd investigated before, but surely this will be a lesson for next time!!

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:55
French to English
+ ...
And... Aug 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:
I have a document worth 10,111 words to be translated from English to French on Child trafficking with the deadline date (13/05/2011),and your service would be needed as a serious and competent translator is urgently needed. Kindly contact Micheal on ( [email protected] ) if you are interested for more details.

Three typical components of every scam:

- Something to strike your social conscience (child trafficking)

- Kind words about you (he does not know you, so how the heck does he know that you are serious and competent)

- Urgency

Plus:

- Type of document that would normally be dealt with by an authority/research institute etc, but mysteriously sent from a gmail account
- In your subsequent exchanges, focus on a big fuss about elaborate payment methods rather than the actual translation
- Slightly odd sequence of contact ("please contact person X for details of this secret project, nudge nudge wink wink")
- Not terribly good English considering somebody called "Michael" is involved in the project

Taken in *isolation*, various of these points could occur in a genuine job -- it's not so uncommon for a client to need a translation yesterday, or for the person running out of the office to say "sorry, this has just come up but I need to leave the office, Jane will contact you shortly with more details", and sure, multinational companies have employees with distinctly dodgy English etc.

But taken *together*, these otherwise small points begin to emanate a distinctly piscicultural odor.

[Edited at 2011-08-04 03:29 GMT]

Phénicia
Phénicia
France
German to French
attention ! Aug 4, 2011

Dear all,

I received this mail one month ago :

"Dear Sir/Ma,

I have a document worth 10,111 words to be translated from English to French on Child trafficking with the deadline date (13/05/2011),and your service would be needed as a serious and competent translator is urgently needed. Kindly contact Micheal on ( [email protected] ) if you are interested for more details.

Your respons
... See more
Dear all,

I received this mail one month ago :

"Dear Sir/Ma,

Your response will be highly treated.

Best Regards,
Micheal Horn"

Apart from the weird e-mail, it sounded true.

I replied asking for more detail, and here was the answer:

"Dear Sir/Ma,

This is an article that dealt with Child Trafficking, The purpose of this Article is to attempt to answer the question why inter-country adoption a form of child trafficking? and also dealt on how to corb the abusive adoption practices at concern and to organise a workshop.

The article comprises of two parts (A & B), I am sending you the first part for translation while the other part is still under construction, below are the necessary details needed to know about the document.

Details on Article on Child Trafficking PART A and kinldy get back to me with the price quote.

*Pages: 22
*Words Count: 10,111
*Characters (no space): 54,531
*Characters (with space): 65,178
*Paragraphs: 97
*Lines: 414
*Source Language: English
*Target Language: French
*Expected Date: 13th of May, 2011
*Payment Method: Payment will be made twice, you will have the 50% advance payment by Check the moment you confirmed the assignment accepted by you.

I hope to read back from you ASAP.

Best Wishes,
Micheal Horn"

So far so good, I sent my rate to the client, who gave his go:

"Thanks for the message, acceptance of the document and am very grateful about the price, i would like to proceed by making the first half payment.

So kindly get back to me with your Full Name and address where you want the check to be sent to and your phone number.

I await your mail soon.

Thanks,
Micheal Horn."

When I asked "Could you give me further details as regards your organization and job posiiton as well?" I had no reply. I never did the translation of course.

This story would have been forgotten, had I not received this one today :

"Dear Sir/Ma,

Serious and compitent translator is urgently needed for a translation
of an article on Annual Global combine Seminar on Racism and Human
Trafficking, from English to French

* Subject: Racism and Human Trafficking

* Source Language: English
* Target Language: French
* Total Word Count: 11,795
* Deadline Date: 29th of July, 2011
* Payment Method: Payment will be made twice, you will have the 50%
advance payment Via Certified Bank Check the moment you confirmed the
assignment accepted by you and have the remaining 50% on delivery of
the translation.

Kindly contact me on ([email protected]) with your price quote and your
availability over this.

Your response would be highly treated.

Best Regards,
John Burroughs"

One more scam?

Mathieu [/quote]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
yes Aug 4, 2011

* Payment Method: Payment will be made twice, you will have the 50%
advance payment Via Certified Bank Check the moment you confirmed the
assignment accepted by you and have the remaining 50% on delivery of
the translation.

One more scam?

Mathieu

the payment by certified check is always (to me) a tentative of fraud

Best regards

Nadia Mondi
Nadia Mondi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Justin Gilbert Aug 5, 2011

Hallo everybody.
I want to update you about what happened after my post here dated 2nd August.
As I told you, I received the same e-mail as most of you by this Justin Gilbert, I asked some more information about him and I told him that I preferred to be payd per bank transfer or paypal instead of receiving a Cheque.
He ansered me the following:

--------------------
Dear Nadia,
For better understanding and to avoid misplacement of the Cheque along
... See more
Hallo everybody.
I want to update you about what happened after my post here dated 2nd August.
As I told you, I received the same e-mail as most of you by this Justin Gilbert, I asked some more information about him and I told him that I preferred to be payd per bank transfer or paypal instead of receiving a Cheque.
He ansered me the following:

--------------------
Dear Nadia,
For better understanding and to avoid misplacement of the Cheque along
the way, I would prefer you send me your details in the format which I
stated earlier. As regard the payment, Paypay and Transfer is out of
the options because I'm current lecturing in one of the American
Universities situated in Africa. Houdegbe North American University,
République du Bénin.

Houdegbe North American University,
Benin PK 10 Houdegbe,
Cotonou ,
Route de Porto-Novo,
06 BP : 2080,
République du Bénin.

Once you have received the Cheque and credited into your account, then
you can start the translation.

I hope to read from you soon.
Best regards,
Justin Gilbert.
-------------------------

After this e-mail I told him that I didn't want to give him my home address and I informed him that there were some negative comments on him on differend forums (in effect, I found something also in other websites, not only Proz.com).
I proposed him the following: if what he had told me was true, I could try to help him. He could pay per Western Union, I could do the translation and after that, I would be willing to inform my colleagues translators that this was not a scam but only a problem connected with a lack of services in Uganda.
What do you think it happened after that? Nothing.
I received no more e-mail from him.
Conclusion: it is a scam!
Bye everybody
Nadia

[Edited at 2011-08-05 19:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-05 19:03 GMT]
Collapse

Aneta A
Aneta A  Identity Verified
English to Polish
Angelina Sanchez Aug 5, 2011

The senders change their names but it looks like most of the emails come from gmail accounts. I received a similar message from Angelina Sanchez - 3 unrelated documents, one on Human Trafficking.....payment by cheque...

Please be aware.

Aneta Popiel
English-Polish Translator

smc
smc
Local time: 13:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
I fell victim to the scam under a different name Aug 8, 2011

I meant to check if the person is a registered Proz.com user, but somehow didn't get round to it ... Here's the email I received together with an IP address. There seems to be 'several persons', but I wonder if the IP address can help us detect how many of these scammers are targetting us:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sondra [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 86.
... See more
I meant to check if the person is a registered Proz.com user, but somehow didn't get round to it ... Here's the email I received together with an IP address. There seems to be 'several persons', but I wonder if the IP address can help us detect how many of these scammers are targetting us:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sondra [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 86.153.6.3
Message type: Request for quote-----------
My name is SONDRA WILSON from UNITED STATES.I will be coming to UNITED KINGDOM.which,I will need your service totranslate some documents for me.I need to make apresentation to some groups of chinese speaking people hereon 18th of June,2011.I will need you to help me translatethe papers from ENGLISH to CHINESE,so each of my audiencecan have a copy in CHINESE language and they can followthrough.Please,let me know your quote for a total of about8,200 words [email protected] Regards,SONDRA
Collapse

silviaceccato
silviaceccato
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
sequel Aug 10, 2011

Hi everyone,
I received the same email from Justin Gilbert, and I answered giving my details, not having realized it could be a scan. That's the answer I got:

Dear Silvia,

I'm pleased to inform you that the Cheque should be in your possession
now. Kindly confirm this and get back to me as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Justin Gilbert.

I don't think I'm going to answer that, b
... See more
Hi everyone,
I received the same email from Justin Gilbert, and I answered giving my details, not having realized it could be a scan. That's the answer I got:

Dear Silvia,

I'm pleased to inform you that the Cheque should be in your possession
now. Kindly confirm this and get back to me as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Justin Gilbert.

I don't think I'm going to answer that, but it's so weird... I'm a bot worried about that....
Collapse

Ambjörn Madegård
Ambjörn Madegård
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Me too Aug 13, 2011

I have also received these messages from both a Justin Gilbert and a Marquis de Custine:

Yes, I am very grateful to have your confirmation and update on the check's arrival and that it's finally in your possession.

The check was sent due to our anticipation to get you paid for the document (Conflict Management in an Organization) given to you for translation into Swedish and the remaining part of the document which is still under review with the supervisor would
... See more
I have also received these messages from both a Justin Gilbert and a Marquis de Custine:

Yes, I am very grateful to have your confirmation and update on the check's arrival and that it's finally in your possession.

The check was sent due to our anticipation to get you paid for the document (Conflict Management in an Organization) given to you for translation into Swedish and the remaining part of the document which is still under review with the supervisor would be be introduced to you shortly, so please don't mind that.

Actually the check was sent to you by one of our client (American Investor) that lives in Republic Du Benin, the issuer of the check who happens to be the sponsor of the Annual Seminar Lecture in which the translated document would be needed for.

We instrusted him to mail you the check on the amount he promised to assist with, so at least we could get you a means to have your translation charges paid for as promised.

Meanwhile, the remaining fund after you must have deducted the translation charges of 1179,60 EUR + the bank charges over the payment of the check would be needed for the good organising of the seminar.

Furthermore, I would like you to take the check to your bank and get it deposited on your account in which will be credited on your account within 3-4 days and get me informed immediately the amount on the check reflects on your account.

I will be waiting for the feedback from you as soon as you are back from the bank.

Thanks for the co-operation and understanding,
Marquis De custine
Collapse

Casey Collins
Casey Collins  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:55
Member (2010)
Estonian to English
Sandra Wilson scam Sep 27, 2011

Our agency (Abacus Translators) also received similar scam emails recently. Beware all translators and agencies!

We also received the same emails from 'Alan Smith'. The emails we received are copied below...

I have a project of 10.600 words on home schooling
I am in need of a translator who can deliver within 2 weeks.
Email me estimate and process to achieve this. Let me know what
language you ar
... See more
Our agency (Abacus Translators) also received similar scam emails recently. Beware all translators and agencies!

We also received the same emails from 'Alan Smith'. The emails we received are copied below...

I have a project of 10.600 words on home schooling
I am in need of a translator who can deliver within 2 weeks.
Email me estimate and process to achieve this. Let me know what
language you are based on.email me via [email protected]

Hello
,Thanks for your urgent response. I am looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new book that I am working on.I have chosen you to work on the project for we are in-between a new business that will require us to write out in English. I will attached the project if u are ready, just want you to have an understanding of what we are about to do.I am a private investor, I work on short time businesses.Now I guess you have an idea of whom you about to deal with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is negotiable .The total number of words are 10.600 words. So, to convert from English to French , the project is not as big for the time range given, that is because I plan ahead of time.++ Kindly state your readiness to translate the document++ Your best price should be stated and total calculation in Euro++ Categorically,your full name,zip code, state your city and country of residence?++ Your contact phone++ Your terms of payment?I hope we can come to term for the success of this project
Best Regards

I am a private investor, I work on short time businesses.

My address is ..
39 Belgrave Rd
Westminster,
London SW1V 2, UK
+447035911742

Now I guess you have an idea of whom you about to deal with,
The delivery date is negotiable but must be before 2weeks
Because this is a project collected from a firm an the company has
decided to chose check for there first payment .
Kindly supply the details bellow.

Full Name
Full address
City,
State,
Zip code
Phone number.

I hope you understand the situation here and comply with the method. I hope to
read from you soonest.
Regards.

Hello,
Thanks for your response, you will get the payment soonest.

Regards.
Collapse

Sylvie LE BRAS
Sylvie LE BRAS  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same e-mail EXPLOITATION OF HUMAIN BEINGS - Bradley Atkins Oct 17, 2011

Hello,

I received the same kind of e-mail from Bradley Atkins:

Bradley Atkins
15, Crosslands, Prestwich,
Manchester M25 9QT, UK
Tel: +447024088628

I did a research with the phone # and get to this thread. It is not the first time I have to face with that kind of scams. Be aware when people agree to ALL your conditions and terms: when it looks suspicious, I always asked for a full payment before starting the translation and delivery. Furthe
... See more
Hello,

I received the same kind of e-mail from Bradley Atkins:

Bradley Atkins
15, Crosslands, Prestwich,
Manchester M25 9QT, UK
Tel: +447024088628

I did a research with the phone # and get to this thread. It is not the first time I have to face with that kind of scams. Be aware when people agree to ALL your conditions and terms: when it looks suspicious, I always asked for a full payment before starting the translation and delivery. Furthermore, it is all about human being-related documents.

NEVER ACCEPT TRAVELLERS'CHECKS. IF YOU ACCEPT, DO NOT WITHDRAW ANY MONEY FROM YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOUR BANK CONFIRMS THAT THE TC HAVE BEEN VALIDATED (THIS CAN TAKE BETWEEN 2 AND 3 WEEKS). IF THERE ARE FALSE TC, BE AWARE THAT YOU CAN BE SUED TO COURT FOR TRAFFIC!!!

Best regards,
Sylvie
Collapse

Manuela Domingues
Manuela Domingues  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Fraud or real word? Oct 17, 2011

I received the last week the same emails of Mr Bradley Atkins and Mr Thomas John. I answer to them, because I think it was a real job, but after I decided to see more information in Proz. So I have decided to tell them that I cannot translate for them. BE CARREFUL!

First email: Hello,

Thanks so much for your response and your availability handling the
translation of the document based on Exploitation of Human Being.... I
am an individual and the translation
... See more
I received the last week the same emails of Mr Bradley Atkins and Mr Thomas John. I answer to them, because I think it was a real job, but after I decided to see more information in Proz. So I have decided to tell them that I cannot translate for them. BE CARREFUL!

First email: Hello,

Thanks so much for your response and your availability handling the
translation of the document based on Exploitation of Human Being.... I
am an individual and the translation of the document will be needed
for a lecture in a workshop, so I would want to confirm to you that
its not going to be published in any daily's nor magazine.

Attached with an email is the document to be translated, kindly go
through the document and confirm to me the total word count, rate you
charge per source word and the total cost as the deadline date still
remain.

I hope to read from you with your final price for the document.

Thanks,
Bradley Atkins.

Second email:

Hello,

Thanks for the swift response and acceptance of the document, anyway,
there is no problem regarding the price. After all consideration, I
have commisioned the translation to you and would like you to start up
with it in-order to meet the deadline date.

Reagarding the payment,I will like you to get back to me with the
information needed requested for below in order to proceed my making
the payment for the translation into your bank account.

I will make an initial payment of 50% into your bank account and the
remaining 50% as soon as you finish the translation.

PAYMENT DETAILS NEEDED:

YOUR FULL NAME:-
YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS:-
TELEPHONE:- MOBILE,LAND AND OFFICE:-

ACCOUNT HOLDER'S NAME:-
IBAN:-
SWIFT CODE:-

BANK'S NAME:-
BANK'S ADDRESS:-
BANK'S PHONE NUMBER:-
BANK'S FAX NUMBER:-

I will be glad to have the details as soon as you get this mail.

Thanks,
Bradley Atkins
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Racism and Human Trafficking (Michael Horn / John Burroughs)- False demand

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »