Valérie Lapotre (X)
Valérie Lapotre (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:08
English to French
+ ...
Same demand Oct 17, 2011

Hi all,

I have received the same exact demand from Mr. Bradley Atkins to translate a text on human trafficking. Reluctant to send my bank details to someone I do not know, I googled his name and (luckily!!) found this thread....
Does anyone know if Proz' people can do something to prevent these guys to abuse other of our colleagues?
We must do something....
Thanks to you all for your posts that prevented me from going any further with them.

Valerie

CATHERINE ERNST
CATHERINE ERNST
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Me too! From Bradley Atkins! Oct 18, 2011

Valérie Lapotre wrote:

Hi all,

I have received the same exact demand from Mr. Bradley Atkins to translate a text on human trafficking. Reluctant to send my bank details to someone I do not know, I googled his name and (luckily!!) found this thread....
Does anyone know if Proz' people can do something to prevent these guys to abuse other of our colleagues?
We must do something....
Thanks to you all for your posts that prevented me from going any further with them.

Valerie

CATHERINE ERNST
CATHERINE ERNST
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
And also from Nick Ungefug / Sharon Simpson: Oct 18, 2011

CEHTrad wrote: Here it was even more obvious:

1st mail:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2011/9/22
Subject: 4200 words project
To: "sh.simpson2"

I have a project of about 4200 words on home schooling.
I am in need of a translator who can deliver within 2 weeks.
Email me estimate and process to achieve this. Let me know what
language you are based on.
[email protected]

2nd mail:

2011/9/28 Sharon Simpson

I received a confirmation from my associate that payment has been mailed out by priority mail to the address you provided which I did forwarded to my associate for payment. Honesty is a key to a successful career, so please confirm to me when you receive the payment.
At present I am working on a field in the remote part of London. I do not want my business to surfer in my absence because I need to get the project done as soon as possible also need to get you paid as fast as possible too,I am sure you would do the same too, you will not allow your business to surfer too.
May I know how much you received? Thanks for the acknowledgement. I really appreciate your trust. But as you can see, there is an overpayment which I will want you to attend to. The payment delivered to you is far more than the 50% first payment that we agreed on, so I would want you to deduct your first pay and send the balance to my grand mother to take care of her bills and health, send with the below information as directed by my client;
Please send through western union money transfer to the following info:
Name: Michel Nyamsi
Addess: 63 tasin sube
City: Istanbul
Zipcode: 37000
Get back to me with the payment info immediately it is done (Money Transfer Control Number MTCN, Sender's name as it is on the receipt, Amount sent).
Note that you are to deduct the western union charges from the balance before sending the rest.
Regards
___

I think you can imagine what i get in the meantime: False travelers cheques!!!
1st mail already smelled suspicious because there were no details, no address, no telephone number, etc. but with the 2nd mail it was clear!

Valérie Lapotre wrote:

Hi all,

We must do something....

Valerie

Helena Almeida
Helena Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:08
Racism and Human Trafficking Oct 19, 2011

Also received a request!

ncrNoelia
ncrNoelia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Home schooling text Oct 20, 2011

I said yes and they requested me some details: Name, address...I sent it to them and I was about to email them again but I felt the need to check if it was a fake. Just as well I did not provide them with my bank details.

Thank you for your info.

[Edited at 2011-10-20 08:54 GMT]

siboney
siboney
English to Spanish
i received he home schooling from sharon simpson and nick Oct 20, 2011

Sharon Simpson
12 Belgrave Rd
London E13 8RS, UK
+44 703 591 1742

Attached is the project. Payment shall be in 2x . First payment of 50% and the balance of 50% on completion or a week to 2 weeks interval.

I await the total estimates and necessary details to making the payment.

My client has chosen check payment this has been method of payment from the past.

Email me your

Name:
Addres
... See more
Sharon Simpson
12 Belgrave Rd
London E13 8RS, UK
+44 703 591 1742

Attached is the project. Payment shall be in 2x . First payment of 50% and the balance of 50% on completion or a week to 2 weeks interval.

My client has chosen check payment this has been method of payment from the past.

Email me your

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:

The details above shall be used to forward the payment to you.

Regards
please keep corresponding emails via [email protected]

..........I have a project of about 4200 words on home schooling.
language you handle.
[email protected]...........................................................................................................................
Collapse

Jose Antonio Ugarte
Jose Antonio Ugarte
Peru
Local time: 06:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam Oct 20, 2011

I also received this mail from Ungefug, googled it and found your thread. Thank you colleagues!!!

David Oliveira
David Oliveira  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
another one here! Oct 20, 2011

Got the same message from Nick Ungefug

home schooling blabla...

keep up the good work, folks!

Cecilia Berglund Barklem
Cecilia Berglund Barklem  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Fooled Oct 22, 2011

Hi,

I was tricked. Spent a lot of time doing a good translation, although I thought it all was a bit weird from the start. They sent me a check of twice the amount I had asked for, and honest as I am, I pointed this out. Now they want me to send the remaining money to "her" grandmother in California. Luckily I understood something was seriously wrong and has naturally not cashed the check. But I feel awful.

Yolanda Lopez-Aguirre
Yolanda Lopez-Aguirre  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
the same scam Oct 24, 2011

siboney wrote:

Sharon Simpson
12 Belgrave Rd
London E13 8RS, UK
+44 703 591 1742

Email me your

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:

The details above shall be used to forward the payment to you.

Regards
please keep corresponding emails via [email protected]

..........I have a project of about 4200 words on home schooling.
language you handle.
[email protected]...........................................................................................................................

I have received the same email form the same person. I hadn't suspected it was a scam until today, when I received a check for 10 times the amount they were supposed to pay me. I looked for the names on google I found this information. Thank God. I has a feeling something was wrong when I saw that the name of the first person asking for the job (Nick Ungefug) was different from the name of the person sending the check (Cristopher Brian from Belgium) and the person signing the check (Beverly D Songer) and the false lawyer (Sharon Simpson). Besides the checj was from a bank in Paris, but form Texas. Everything was weird. Now I know I don't have to cash the check, beacause it is a scam. Thank you all.

Isabel Gamito
Isabel Gamito  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I also received the same email from Mr. Bradley Atkins Nov 3, 2011

I also received the same email from Mr. Bradley Atkins two weeks ago and I asked an initial payment of 50%, but until now... nothing. To be honest I found it very strange.

Manuela Domingues wrote:

I received the last week the same emails of Mr Bradley Atkins and Mr Thomas John. I answer to them, because I think it was a real job, but after I decided to see more information in Proz. So I have decided to tell them that I cannot translate for them. BE CARREFUL!

First email: Hello,

Thanks so much for your response and your availability handling the
translation of the document based on Exploitation of Human Being.... I
am an individual and the translation of the document will be needed
for a lecture in a workshop, so I would want to confirm to you that
its not going to be published in any daily's nor magazine.

Attached with an email is the document to be translated, kindly go
through the document and confirm to me the total word count, rate you
charge per source word and the total cost as the deadline date still
remain.

I hope to read from you with your final price for the document.

Thanks,
Bradley Atkins.

Second email:

Hello,

Thanks for the swift response and acceptance of the document, anyway,
there is no problem regarding the price. After all consideration, I
have commisioned the translation to you and would like you to start up
with it in-order to meet the deadline date.

Reagarding the payment,I will like you to get back to me with the
information needed requested for below in order to proceed my making
the payment for the translation into your bank account.

I will make an initial payment of 50% into your bank account and the
remaining 50% as soon as you finish the translation.

PAYMENT DETAILS NEEDED:

YOUR FULL NAME:-
YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS:-
TELEPHONE:- MOBILE,LAND AND OFFICE:-

ACCOUNT HOLDER'S NAME:-
IBAN:-
SWIFT CODE:-

BANK'S NAME:-
BANK'S ADDRESS:-
BANK'S PHONE NUMBER:-
BANK'S FAX NUMBER:-

I will be glad to have the details as soon as you get this mail.

Thanks,
Bradley Atkins

Jose Antonio Ugarte
Jose Antonio Ugarte
Peru
Local time: 06:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nick Ungefug - possible stupid question Nov 9, 2011

Hi all

I received the same mail from nick ungefug, but I gave him my address, two weeks later, I recieived two international money orders (MONEYGRAM) but the amount if far higher than I agreed with him. I haven't done any translation because it seemed suspicious. What do I do, throw the money orders away???

Gloria Y.
Gloria Y.
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Nick Ungefug Nov 16, 2011

Hello everybody,

Thank you for the post. For me was the same with Nick Ungefug. Same emails and same strategy. I also gave him my address and yesterday I received the cheques of a very high amount. As everything was very strange, I typed his name in Google and I found this thread. Now I do not what to do with the cheques and with this man.

Giorgio Mauro
Giorgio Mauro  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
How the scam works Nov 22, 2011

You get a cheque for over 10 times the value agreed on. You are then asked to repay the balance. If you do so before noticing the cheque is uncovered (it might take 3 or 4 months), you lose the whole amount + charges. If you try to cash the cheque without repaying the balance, you only lose the bank charges (that can run up to 100 Euro).

Shripal Shar (X)
Shripal Shar (X)
India
Local time: 16:38
English to Hindi
+ ...
I have done Hindi transaltion Dec 9, 2011

In response of the following mail, I completed the project:

I have a project of 10.600 words on home schooling
language you are based on.email me via [email protected]

After several mail, there is no response for my payment. Whether you are aware of such person.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Racism and Human Trafficking (Michael Horn / John Burroughs)- False demand

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »