Thread poster: Gudrun Wolfrath
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
German to English
+ ...
What I now think Sep 3, 2014

For me, the possible actions to take, depending on your attitude and how far it has gone by the time you believe it is a scam, are:

1. Simply don't reply to the inquiry email;
  2. Do reply, but with: "Sorry, I am not willing to do this work."
  3. If you receive the cheque (UK spelling for US "check"), send back an email saying you will NOT pay it into your bank - they should send you their postal address (of course, they won't) to which you will return the cheque an... See more
For me, the possible actions to take, depending on your attitude and how far it has gone by the time you believe it is a scam, are:

1. Simply don't reply to the inquiry email;
  2. Do reply, but with: "Sorry, I am not willing to do this work."
  3. If you receive the cheque (UK spelling for US "check"), send back an email saying you will NOT pay it into your bank - they should send you their postal address (of course, they won't) to which you will return the cheque and then they should send you a cheque for the correct amount.
  4. (If you actually do some or all of the translation: stop the work, have no further communication with them except, perhaps, to say why you've stopped, and consider the time you've spent to be a useful exercise or perhaps just lost time to be written off.)

Oliver
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 01:51
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Avoid replying Sep 3, 2014

It's been said before, but perhaps bears repeating here...

However tempting it is, and for whatever reason, it is generally better to avoid replying to these people at all costs, ideally as soon as you have twigged that the original enquiry is a scam.

Much as you might like to write back and tell them what you think of them, doing so only serves to validate your e-mail address (or indeed, give it to them if they didn't have it in the first place, e.g. if the original ma
... See more
It's been said before, but perhaps bears repeating here...

However tempting it is, and for whatever reason, it is generally better to avoid replying to these people at all costs, ideally as soon as you have twigged that the original enquiry is a scam.

Much as you might like to write back and tell them what you think of them, doing so only serves to validate your e-mail address (or indeed, give it to them if they didn't have it in the first place, e.g. if the original mail was received via the ProZ.com or some other message forwarding system)

This in turn carries the risk that your now-validated address will appear on yet more of these lists, thus opening you to the possibility of even more spam or scams.

I have to say that since I stopped reacting in any way to such demands, the overall number I receive does seem to have dropped off to just an occasional trickle.
Collapse

translations9
translations9  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 02:51
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
They are back again May 28, 2015

I just received this 'job offer':
Morning,

Am John Luka
Translator is needed urgently
I want you to translate the document into Lithuanian
Get back to me if you are available and i will like to know how much you charge per page or words also the document is attach to this mail.Awaits your
favorable response.

Kind Regards,
John.

John Luka

The story is the same, and they even haven't changed the 'transl
... See more
I just received this 'job offer':
Morning,

Am John Luka
Translator is needed urgently
I want you to translate the document into Lithuanian
Get back to me if you are available and i will like to know how much you charge per page or words also the document is attach to this mail.Awaits your
favorable response.

Kind Regards,
John.

John Luka

The story is the same, and they even haven't changed the 'translation text'. This time they are using an official mailing address of one of our colleagues in Germany.
Collapse

Annabelle Peretti
Annabelle Peretti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2022)
Italian to French
+ ...
He's a man now and his name is: Agustin Mike. Beware! Oct 6, 2015

Hi everyone!

So today I received and e-mail that seemed suspicious to me.

First because In the e-mail there are 2 different e-mails:
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
Second, he sent me an email in Bcc.
Third, I couln't find him on the internet: no facebook, no linkedin, no twitter, .... nothing.

As I
... See more
Hi everyone!

So today I received and e-mail that seemed suspicious to me.

First because In the e-mail there are 2 different e-mails:
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
Second, he sent me an email in Bcc.
Third, I couln't find him on the internet: no facebook, no linkedin, no twitter, .... nothing.

As I couldn't understand if he was a scammer or not, I tried to copy-paste the first sentence of the document on google and I found this topic.

So thank you so much.

When you feel that something is suspicious but you still don't find the proof for it, keep looking and for sure don't do the job at all!

Please, could you tell me if there is a kind of blacklist available online where I can be updated?
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Annabelle, Oct 6, 2015

this link might be of help:
http://www.translator-scammers.com

Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
English to French
+ ...
He is back Oct 6, 2015

This morning I received his offer too. He uses the name Agustin Mike, wants to pay with traveler check and uses this adress : 176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

At first, I couldn't know it was a scam but his second email was suspicious : "The document is to create more awareness on STD among teenager and mother which will be distributed in pamphlet also an initiation of my late wife to help kids,orphans and mothers.I work as humanitarian that help less privileges and r
... See more
This morning I received his offer too. He uses the name Agustin Mike, wants to pay with traveler check and uses this adress : 176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

At first, I couldn't know it was a scam but his second email was suspicious : "The document is to create more awareness on STD among teenager and mother which will be distributed in pamphlet also an initiation of my late wife to help kids,orphans and mothers.I work as humanitarian that help less privileges and right now am doing a social work to help the Nepal earthquake and Typhoon haiyan in Philippines also to provide cloth,food and shelter.
Also let me know the total price and am ready to make deposit so you can start, payment will be through traveler cheque
So send me your name and address with phone number where the cheque will be mail to and i need it back in 4 weeks,am ready to make the payment in advance."
Collapse

Rachel Braff
Rachel Braff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
French to English
+ ...
Atrocious English raises red flags. Oct 6, 2015

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

I'm always distrustful of that kind of English, especially if a native-like name is used. Native speakers of various languages, including degree holders, including language degree holders, are capable of brutally murdering their respective languages, but some things in those e-mails still flash the warning lights.

[Edited at 2013-06-25 06:07 GMT]

Yes! All of those e-mails and "original texts", some more than others, have errors that are NOT the type of errors made by native language speakers, who butcher their own language in other ways (no native speaker would ever think to say "the adolescence" for example).

My first reaction was a little harsh, that they're such obvious things they should raise flags, but to be honest it's entirely possible that I wouldn't pick up on similar non-native-speaker errors in a French document if there weren't many. This may not be intentional on their part, but it's pretty shrewd of these scammers to contact people in a language that's not their first/native language, since most translators translate into the language they master perfectly.

So maybe in addition to all the other scam checks, we should aim a more skeptical eye at whether the potential client's language use makes sense.

sara-n
sara-n
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same situation here Oct 19, 2015

Hi all,

First, I wanted to thank you because when I received the e-mail, I was quite doubtful about the legitimity of this job, but it became crystal clear when I came across this thread.

Now this person has adopted the identity of Isidro Lopez and his e-mails are [email protected] and [email protected].
He also demands a translation E
... See more
Hi all,

First, I wanted to thank you because when I received the e-mail, I was quite doubtful about the legitimity of this job, but it became crystal clear when I came across this thread.

Now this person has adopted the identity of Isidro Lopez and his e-mails are [email protected] and [email protected].
He also demands a translation EN>ES of a text about adolescence.
Of course, I am not going to lose any more of my time with this by replying to his e-mail and I hope no one does.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Sara
Collapse

HelenainParis
HelenainParis
France
Scam from "Isidro Lopez" Oct 24, 2015

I received a "translation proposal" EN>Spanish from this name Isidro Lopez. First the email came from [email protected] and as I wrote back (I shouldn't have!) the answer came from [email protected].

The 1st email said:

Good Morning,
I need your services as a competent translator from English to Spanish
How much do you charges pe
... See more
I received a "translation proposal" EN>Spanish from this name Isidro Lopez. First the email came from [email protected] and as I wrote back (I shouldn't have!) the answer came from [email protected].

The 1st email said:

Good Morning,
I need your services as a competent translator from English to Spanish
How much do you charges per words or page?
The document is attach to this mail so get back to me if you have availability with the total price.
Awaits your favorable reply.

Thanks.
Lopez.

The first email came with a document on "STD prevention" attached.
I wrote back and this is what I received as an answer:

Thanks for your swift response
I want you to translate it into Spanish
The document is to create more awareness on STD among teenager and mother which will be distributed in pamphlet also an initiation of my late wife to help kids,orphans and mothers.I work as humanitarian that help less privileges and right now am doing a social work to help the Nepal earthquake and Typhoon haiyan in Philippines also to provide cloth,food and shelter.
Also let me know the total price and am ready to make deposit so you can start, payment will be through cheque drawn from European bank.
So send me your name and address with phone number where the cheque will be mail to and i need it back in 4 weeks,am ready to make the payment in advance.Awaits your mail.

Thanks.
Lopez
Collapse

Jerry Dean
Jerry Dean  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
Member (2010)
Polish to English
+ ...
next name change Oct 27, 2015

The name is now John Mc Cullen sending from [email protected] and [email protected]

It is the same article on 'Adolescence'. Here's the latest email:

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Polish so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is at
... See more
The name is now John Mc Cullen sending from [email protected] and [email protected]

It is the same article on 'Adolescence'. Here's the latest email:

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Polish so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is attach to the mail,awaits your favourable response soonest.
Collapse

Artur Cnotalski
Artur Cnotalski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Also contacted by <[email protected]> Oct 27, 2015

Can confirm, received the same e-mail Jerry did.

Martin König
Martin König  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Today he strikes again Oct 27, 2015

First one identical,

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Czech so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is attach to the mail,awaits your favourable response soonest.

Regard's
John.

John Mc Cullen
176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

The second also:

I
... See more
First one identical,

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Czech so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is attach to the mail,awaits your favourable response soonest.

Regard's
John.

John Mc Cullen
176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

The second also:

I want you to translate it into Czech
The document is to create more awareness on STD among teenager and mother which will be distributed in pamphlet also an initiation of my late wife to help kids,orphans and mothers.I work as humanitarian that help less privileges and right now am doing a social work to help the Nepal earthquake and Typhoon haiyan in Philippines also to provide cloth,food and shelter.
Also let me know the total price and am ready to make deposit so you can start, payment will be through traveler cheque in euro
So send me your name and address with phone number where the traveler cheque will be mail to and i need it back in 4 weeks,am ready to make the payment in advance.Awaits your mail.

Thanks.
John.

**** him again and again...
Collapse

Kaija Dahlström
Kaija Dahlström  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:51
English to Finnish
+ ...
He strikes again Oct 27, 2015

Hi,

I got quite identical emails yesterday and today:

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Finnish so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is attach to the mail,awaits your favourable response soonest.

Regard's
John.

John Mc Cullen
176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

And the second mail:... See more
Hi,

I got quite identical emails yesterday and today:

Morning,

Am John and i need your services as a translator from English to Finnish so get back to me if you have availability also let me know how much you charge per words or page,the document is attach to the mail,awaits your favourable response soonest.

Regard's
John.

John Mc Cullen
176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

And the second mail:

I want you to translate it into Finnish
Also let me know the total price and am ready to make deposit so you can start, payment will be through traveler cheque in euro
So send me your name and address with phone number where the traveler cheque will be mail to and i need it back in 4 weeks,am ready to make the payment in advance.Awaits your mail.

Thanks.
John.

John Mc Cullen
176 Courtlandt Ave,
Bronx, NY 10451-5001

Thanks guys for your warnings, I got suspicious because he accepted my quite high price offer and promised to pay in advance with a traveler cheque. He used a yahoo email address: [email protected].

Best regards,

Kaija Dahlström
Collapse

AnetaT
AnetaT  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
Same email today ([email protected]) Oct 27, 2015

Hi,

I received an identical email from John Mc Mullen ([email protected]) today too. I was suspicious about the email so I googled the address and found this. Thank you for confirmation.

Marta Kumar
Marta Kumar
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
English to Polish
+ ...
I received it today, too Oct 27, 2015

Just received the same e-mail from John to translate this STD text into Polish...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of a new "student" scam!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »