United States
Local time: 16:35
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I received the same email from Joe Taylor Jan 19, 2014

I received the following email from [email protected]:

"Hello,

I'm Joe Taylor,I (sic) got your email from the website (http://www.atanet.org/) that you are a competent translator. I have an article I want you to help me translate from (English into Japanese).I (sic) would like to know your terms and how much it would cost for t
... See more
I received the following email from [email protected]:

"Hello,

I'm Joe Taylor,I (sic) got your email from the website (http://www.atanet.org/) that you are a competent translator. I have an article I want you to help me translate from (English into Japanese).I (sic) would like to know your terms and how much it would cost for the article? I have attached the article to this email so you could check and let me know how long it would take to get it translated? Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Joe Taylor.(sic)"
Collapse

Lamis Maalouf
Lamis Maalouf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:35
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same here Jan 22, 2014

Thank you all for sharing this. I received the same message and a nice article to translate into Arabic. "Joe Taylor" is insisting on knowing my information! I am glad I checked here. The whole thing looked fishy to me.

Glad you all wrote about it. It sure helps others.

Lamis

Ellen Whiting
Ellen Whiting
Local time: 16:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Joe Taylor email scam Feb 4, 2014

Thank you for posting this! I just got the same exact email from "Joe Taylor," asking for a quote for a translation from English to Czech. Attached was an article named "On Living as an American Expatriate in Denmark," by Thomas E. Kennedy.

To jcrlinguist: I think this is the best place to report these scams. Every time I have received a scam email of this sort in the last few years, I look up the name and "translation request" or something like that on Google, and it always brings
... See more
Thank you for posting this! I just got the same exact email from "Joe Taylor," asking for a quote for a translation from English to Czech. Attached was an article named "On Living as an American Expatriate in Denmark," by Thomas E. Kennedy.

To jcrlinguist: I think this is the best place to report these scams. Every time I have received a scam email of this sort in the last few years, I look up the name and "translation request" or something like that on Google, and it always brings me right here, and I can see that other translators have been targeted as well. So this is an excellent resource, and I cannot recommend highly enough that translators do this quick and easy check before accepting any job. And post them here, to warn others as well.
Collapse

joshihiro
joshihiro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
English to Japanese
I got scammed. Feb 18, 2014

Oh, no... He's a scammer?

I worked on his assignment for $300 and he hasn't paid me.
I guess I should give up that $300, an expensive lesson... :'(

[Edited at 2014-02-18 23:25 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Jonathan Cowan is back Feb 20, 2014

Jonathan Cowan just showed up. I felt like telling him to say hello to Monika. It's interesting that Windows Live Mail put him straight into the Junk box. Same message as in to OP.

Samantha Lisk
Samantha Lisk  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Same Email from Cowan Feb 25, 2014

Agreed, just got another email, this time from Jonathan Cowan. The email address is [email protected]. The article is the same one on terrorism and he wants it translated into Spanish. Fortunately Outlook sent his email directly to the junk folder.

Norahorne
Norahorne
United States
Scammer is active today! Feb 25, 2014

Jonathan Cowan just tried to scam me.
I appreciate you diligence reporting it.

[Edited at 2014-02-25 18:54 GMT]

bishopy
bishopy
United States
English to Spanish
Message from Jonathan Cowan Feb 26, 2014

I received a note yesterday from Jonathan Cowan yesterday (2/25) and sent a quote. He proceeded to sign it and send it back to me. He accepted my terms and then stated in his reply that he would be paying via check and that he needed my full name and address...that when something in me said to do a double take on this one. I started searching his name and came across this thread. By what I'm reading, it sounds like a scam. I'm fairly new to the biz and well I guess I got had or almost...haven't ... See more
I received a note yesterday from Jonathan Cowan yesterday (2/25) and sent a quote. He proceeded to sign it and send it back to me. He accepted my terms and then stated in his reply that he would be paying via check and that he needed my full name and address...that when something in me said to do a double take on this one. I started searching his name and came across this thread. By what I'm reading, it sounds like a scam. I'm fairly new to the biz and well I guess I got had or almost...haven't started yet. And I guess I can just cancel that job.

Thank you all for posting!
Collapse

Juanita Lozano
Juanita Lozano  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also got one from Jonathan Cowan Feb 27, 2014

I was almost going for it, but then decided to do a little research and found your post. Thank you all for sharing. The email address used is [email protected]

I also just got another one today from Kinnock Andor, [email protected] which I'm listing further below.

"Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address
... See more
I was almost going for it, but then decided to do a little research and found your post. Thank you all for sharing. The email address used is [email protected]

I also just got another one today from Kinnock Andor, [email protected] which I'm listing further below.

"Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address on the translator website, that you are a Translator,will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article,the article should be translated into Spanish . I will like to know the cost of translating the article, and the deadline is 13th of April 2014.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thank You"

"Hello,

I have a piece of project to get translated. I would like to know
your availability and the language you handle.

I await you.

Thanks"
Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
German to English
[email protected] is still around Mar 8, 2014

Just to let you know, that [email protected] e-mail address is still around. I got an e-mail request today from a "Mariam Brown" asking for a translation quote. The English in the e-mail was awful, the German in the document was awful, so I googled the e-mail address and landed here.

Thanks for the warnings, everyone .

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here! Mar 10, 2014

krp_2000 wrote:
Just to let you know, that [email protected] e-mail address is still around. I got an e-mail request today from a "Mariam Brown" asking for a translation quote. The English in the e-mail was awful, the German in the document was awful, so I googled the e-mail address and landed here.

Same here, although for English into my language.

marina_sanchez
marina_sanchez
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same thing... Mar 10, 2014

I also got the email from Mariam brown, [email protected]. I just got it Friday, 3/7. I responded with my info before I realized it was a fraud. I just sent a follow-up email saying I could no longer take the project and to void all correspondence. I wish I would have checked here first! To those of you who did provide personal info, was there any consequence aside from a bad check?

Carolina Carabecho
Carolina Carabecho  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here! English into Spanish Mar 18, 2014

Yesterday I received an email from Mariam Brown as well. [email protected]. Thanks God you are here guys! I replied the first email but decided to Google the name before going forward and found the name here.

Thanks for the warnings!

Ian Jennings
Ian Jennings
German to English
And me! Mar 18, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

krp_2000 wrote:

Same here, although for English into my language.

Mine was for a German>English translation. The orthography "Brown mariam" and the bizarrely colloquial (and poor) English already had me suspicious. But thanks for this thread - it's good to have one's suspicions confirmed.

alicia espel
alicia espel
English to Spanish
gybardey hit again yesterday in Argentina! thanks for the warning. Mar 20, 2014

krp_2000 wrote:

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email scam targeting translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »