Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Email scam targeting translators
Thread poster: Alexandre Khalimov
Andy-Erk
Andy-Erk
Germany
"Andor Kinnock" and "Linda Mason" fooled me Apr 10, 2014

[quote]Juanita Lozano wrote:
I also just got another one today from Kinnock Andor, [email protected] which I'm listing further below.

Hello, just to warn others off - before I found this forum, I was fooled by someone calling herself Linda Mason (but londa in mail-address: [email protected]) and in a second step after I tried to figure out what had happened by someone calling himself Andor Kinnock (mail-address: [email protected]).
Unfortunately I did the work first - and only later checked for further information. So I have lost the time worth 700,- € ...
Hope others will see the warning earlier than I did.
Kind regards and better luck,
Andy-Erk

Sharon Tong
Sharon Tong
United States
Local time: 21:19
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Different name but same fishy Apr 10, 2014

Thanks for your posting, I got the same thing with a guy named Smith with an email address [email protected], asking translation of an article about terrorism. I googled it and that leads me here, THANKS for saving me from further communicating with this scammer!
Really can't figure out the intention of these scammers, but I guess the best way to stop them is to ask paying upfront through PayPal.

Sharon

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 04:19
English to Polish
+ ...
a new user without a single data? Apr 11, 2014

Sorry, not interested

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
"Hello, I'm Smith" Apr 11, 2014

The subject of the email was "SERVICE NEEDED" (yes, singular and all caps).

It came from: B.M [email protected] (email address that can be found on http://www.translator-scammers.com/) and was addressed to

to:[email protected] (someone in the AAIT directory who is unrelated to the scam)

(and b
... See more
The subject of the email was "SERVICE NEEDED" (yes, singular and all caps).

It came from: B.M [email protected] (email address that can be found on http://www.translator-scammers.com/) and was addressed to

to:[email protected] (someone in the AAIT directory who is unrelated to the scam)

(and bcc'd me).

The attachment was the article on terrorism. I didn't even bother replying. Here's what the body said:

Hello,

I'm Smith,I got your email from the website (http://www.aait.org) that
you are a competent translator.
I have an article i want you to help me translate from (English into
French).I would like to know your terms and how much it would cost for
the article?I have attached the article to this email so you could
check and let me know how long it would take to get it translated?

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

Sincerely

[Edited at 2014-04-11 18:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-11 18:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dirgis (X)
Dirgis (X)  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Another name and email, same scam Apr 15, 2014

robert stalley [email protected]

7:00 PM (6 hours ago)

to
Hello,

I'm Robert Stalley,I got your email from the website ( http://www.atanet.org/ ) that you are a competent translator. I have an article I want you to help me translate from (English to German). I would like to know your terms and how much i
... See more
robert stalley [email protected]

7:00 PM (6 hours ago)

to
Hello,

I'm Robert Stalley,I got your email from the website ( http://www.atanet.org/ ) that you are a competent translator. I have an article I want you to help me translate from (English to German). I would like to know your terms and how much it would cost for the article? I have attached the article to this email so you could check and let me know how long it would take to get it translated ?

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Robert Stalley
Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

You shouldn't even reply to these emails Apr 15, 2014

These scams have been going around for a long time and Proz has plenty of threads on this very same subject. Replying to these emails basically confirms your identity behind your email address. The safest thing to do is to click the spam button and send this straight to the trash bin.

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
hotmail, outlook.com, gmail et. al. Apr 16, 2014

There are probably mamy translator who use these free email services to do some marketiing, but I have noticed that among the 20 fake emails, almost every mail ends up with: googlemail.com, hotmail.com, hotmail.es, hotmail.fr, outlook.com, outlook.sa, yahoo.co.in, yahoo.co.uk, yahoo.com, yahoo.de, yahoo.fr

yzarry
yzarry
Local time: 19:19
Jonathan Cowan about terrorism Apr 28, 2014

I was just contacted by Jonathan Cowan [email protected]

'Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, i found your e mail address on the translator website that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article,can you get back to me on the cost of translating the article.I want it to be translated to Japanese.The deadline is 31sth of May 2014.

Thank You'

... See more
I was just contacted by Jonathan Cowan [email protected]

'Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, i found your e mail address on the translator website that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article,can you get back to me on the cost of translating the article.I want it to be translated to Japanese.The deadline is 31sth of May 2014.

Thank You'

The attachment was about terrorism. As I found similar email address (even though the numbers were different) with similar document into different language combinations, now I am 100% sure this is a scam. Thank you everyone for alerting.
Collapse

Anne-Marie Lavoie
Anne-Marie Lavoie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Jonahan Cowan, again Apr 29, 2014

Just received this:

JONATHAN Cowan
19:15 (Il y a 10 minutes)

À cowanjonathan5.
Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, i found your e mail address on the translator website that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article,can you get back to me on the cost of translating the article and what language you can translate it to because it was not stated on the website.The deadline is 31sth of May 2014.

Th
... See more
Just received this:

JONATHAN Cowan
19:15 (Il y a 10 minutes)

À cowanjonathan5.
Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, i found your e mail address on the translator website that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article,can you get back to me on the cost of translating the article and what language you can translate it to because it was not stated on the website.The deadline is 31sth of May 2014.

Thank You

----
Now what is the best course of action?

Anne-Marie Lavoie
[email protected]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please report the message to ProZ staff Apr 30, 2014

If you received that message via ProZ e-mail, please report it to ProZ staff via a Support request, so they can block the sender.

julija knezevic
julija knezevic
Australia
I got scam too May 3, 2014

Dear friends and colleagues,
I got the same email and scam, did translation into Japanese for nothing, they owe me $800 and I also gave them my full name and bank details and address, so I am really scared they will use my information to create a false identity for criminal purposes. The email said that MR SMITH is in France and that hey will send me a bank cheque which never arrived. They found my name on NAATI government professional translation website. THis is unbelievable!

... See more
Dear friends and colleagues,
I got the same email and scam, did translation into Japanese for nothing, they owe me $800 and I also gave them my full name and bank details and address, so I am really scared they will use my information to create a false identity for criminal purposes. The email said that MR SMITH is in France and that hey will send me a bank cheque which never arrived. They found my name on NAATI government professional translation website. THis is unbelievable!

I am in contact with Australian and US Federal police, my bank, my university and Google. I have reported the email as spam. This one:

[email protected]

I am in deep shock and can't understand why they do these things.. they seemed experienced with price quotes and so forth so they have made many damages in the past...I feel so stupid..I asked my best friend to help me with translation, it was really poor English, an academic journal on the word terrorism so now I owe her $400...
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Just FYI Londa/Linda May 7, 2014

I barely even bother to look at eMails like this one anymore, but just so other people know about it, I just received this (as mentioned previously in the thread):

Linda Mason from: [email protected]
"I have a piece of review for translation, to be translate to German. I
will like to know your charging rate, how soon you will deliver the
job and payment method.

I await these details."... See more
I barely even bother to look at eMails like this one anymore, but just so other people know about it, I just received this (as mentioned previously in the thread):

Linda Mason from: [email protected]
"I have a piece of review for translation, to be translate to German. I
will like to know your charging rate, how soon you will deliver the
job and payment method.

I await these details."

-- Regards
Linda Mason
XX Mokyll Croft
Thorpe Marriott
Norwich XXX XXX
United Kingdom

(edited to insert the XXs in case this is someone's real address)

[Edited at 2014-05-07 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Jens Groth
Jens Groth  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Thank you! Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for the heads up! "Jonathan" still uses [email protected] and is still looking for translators. The e-mail looked quite fishy, but it's always great to get confirmation.

Have a great day, everybody

1718828 (X)
1718828 (X)

English to German
+ ...
Linda Mason/[email protected] - same text, different address Jul 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

I just received the same e-mail like Janet Rubin, sent by Linda Mason ([email protected]) to londamason11 (same e-mail address as Linda Mason), I was in BCC. The only difference was that they used a German address.

Thanks for confirming my doubts about this mail - deleted!

Konstantin Stäbler
Konstantin Stäbler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Lauren Rosen Ovens / [email protected] Jul 14, 2014

Hi all,

I just received a mail from Lauren Rose Ovens ([email protected]) at 0:22 am this morning:

Hello,

I have a piece of review in English for translation to be translated , I will like to know the language you handle and charging rate, how soon you will deliver the job and payment method.

I await these details.

--
Regards

The person used a high-profile address in Germany which was quite suspect.
... See more
Hi all,

I just received a mail from Lauren Rose Ovens ([email protected]) at 0:22 am this morning:

Hello,

I have a piece of review in English for translation to be translated , I will like to know the language you handle and charging rate, how soon you will deliver the job and payment method.

I await these details.

--
Regards

The person used a high-profile address in Germany which was quite suspect. I almost sent an answer before checking her e-mail. Thanks to Andy-Erk for pointing this out.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email scam targeting translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »