Thread poster: Alexandre Khalimov
SwabianEnglish
SwabianEnglish
Germany
Local time: 20:19
Another scammer's try, thanks for your warning! Jul 14, 2014

Received an inquiry from this address today

Lauren Rose Ovens [email protected]

Person wanted to pay with cheque and used faulty English, specified an address in Heidelberg, Germany.
A person by this name actually does exist, but lives in North Carolina.

And, as Anke Köllmann reported, the e-mail was sent to londamason11, I was in BCC.

Thank you for sharing your experienc
... See more
Received an inquiry from this address today

Lauren Rose Ovens [email protected]

Person wanted to pay with cheque and used faulty English, specified an address in Heidelberg, Germany.
A person by this name actually does exist, but lives in North Carolina.

And, as Anke Köllmann reported, the e-mail was sent to londamason11, I was in BCC.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the warning!!
Collapse

Guntrud Argo-Kögel
Guntrud Argo-Kögel
English to German
+ ...
[email protected] in Heidelberg Jul 19, 2014

I got the same mail and asked for payment of the entire sum in advance, telling "her" (?) I wouldn't start translating before the cheque is cashed. Would I still be making a mistake? Why do these people answer again and again?
Could any of the last three posters here please contact me?
In German, of course?
Thanks.

Christian Siege
Christian Siege
Germany
English to German
Received that mail, too Jul 21, 2014

Hello! I have received a request by that lady a week ago. Since there are many Americans in Heidelberg, it all made sense to me. She offered to send a cheque and sent me a .doc by e-mail named "project management made easy". Now that I've found this thread when I googled her name, I'm not sure if the .doc contains a virus or spyware. If she (or the organization behind her) just wanted to find out my address, they could have easily looked it up on the Internet. On the other hand, she's maybe a re... See more
Hello! I have received a request by that lady a week ago. Since there are many Americans in Heidelberg, it all made sense to me. She offered to send a cheque and sent me a .doc by e-mail named "project management made easy". Now that I've found this thread when I googled her name, I'm not sure if the .doc contains a virus or spyware. If she (or the organization behind her) just wanted to find out my address, they could have easily looked it up on the Internet. On the other hand, she's maybe a real existing person, looking for the cheapest translator only. Does anybody know when she started sending out her requests?Collapse

1718828 (X)
1718828 (X)

English to German
+ ...
Linda Mason/[email protected] - scammer Jul 26, 2014

Hi everybody,

just FYI: "Linda Mason" is also listed here: http://www.translator-scammers.com/.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-07-26 16:32 GMT]

Christian Siege
Christian Siege
Germany
English to German
Does she write to translators only? Jul 27, 2014

Most of my customers are US soldiers and their relatives and families. Since Heidelberg used to host an Army base and many Americans decided to stay in Germany after the base was closed, I was not concerned to receive a request from Heidelberg. Many soldiers have bad language skills, so I still thought, that person is serious. She has sent me the documents which I have already mentioned. I know that .doc can contain spyware. I have opened the files and now I am afraid that I have spyware on my c... See more
Most of my customers are US soldiers and their relatives and families. Since Heidelberg used to host an Army base and many Americans decided to stay in Germany after the base was closed, I was not concerned to receive a request from Heidelberg. Many soldiers have bad language skills, so I still thought, that person is serious. She has sent me the documents which I have already mentioned. I know that .doc can contain spyware. I have opened the files and now I am afraid that I have spyware on my computer. I have quit replying to that lady but she keeps writing. Today I have received an email saying that her accountant failed to send the check and I will receive payment soon. So, is she just some crazy bi*** who loves to stalk and annoy translators or are those professional scammers specialized on translators only? I am confused. What is your experience with Londa/Linda/whoever?Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email scam targeting translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »