John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:12
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2014

Another scam email just received from [email protected]:

Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address on the translator website, that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article, i will like the article to be translated to French . I will like to know the cost of translating the article, and the deadline is 25th of March 2014.... See more
Another scam email just received from [email protected]:

Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address on the translator website, that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article, i will like the article to be translated to French . I will like to know the cost of translating the article, and the deadline is 25th of March 2014.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thank You
Jonathan Cowan

The article was copy/pasted directly from the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Another obvious scam Feb 20, 2014

Well, the English in this email is mediocre, sufficiently to at least raise a red flag.

That Mr. Cowan has copied his alledged article from Wikipedia and, above all, believes that you (or anyone else) accept it as his own work, does say a lot about the scammer.

Maybe it's time to "educate" the scammers a little. For one, telling them that everybody who is a professional translator does require quite a lot of brain. In fact, these emails are insulting the translator's in
... See more
Well, the English in this email is mediocre, sufficiently to at least raise a red flag.

That Mr. Cowan has copied his alledged article from Wikipedia and, above all, believes that you (or anyone else) accept it as his own work, does say a lot about the scammer.

Maybe it's time to "educate" the scammers a little. For one, telling them that everybody who is a professional translator does require quite a lot of brain. In fact, these emails are insulting the translator's intelligence.

I hope you sent it to File 13, after you have made an entry in the Translators Scammer Directory.
Collapse

Elisa Cristóbal
Elisa Cristóbal  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mr Jonathan strikes again Oct 6, 2015

He seems to have "improved" his opening lines since 2014. Here is what I received today (luckily straight to my spam folder):

Hello, I am Mr Jonathan I got your e mail address from an online forum that you are an excellent translator, I guess you would have worked for them. I will like you to translate an article for me, but first i need to know your language combination because it was not stated. I will be very happy if you can reply my e mail ASAP.
Thank You... See more
He seems to have "improved" his opening lines since 2014. Here is what I received today (luckily straight to my spam folder):

Hello, I am Mr Jonathan I got your e mail address from an online forum that you are an excellent translator, I guess you would have worked for them. I will like you to translate an article for me, but first i need to know your language combination because it was not stated. I will be very happy if you can reply my e mail ASAP.
Thank You

I guess he would be happy indeed. Happy of having his article translated from whatever language into any language I might offer.

Regards,

Elisa
Collapse

lormer
lormer
United States
Local time: 15:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Just got an email from him Mar 30, 2016

As said in my title... I just got an email from him. Same poor English (therefore red flag ) but I decided to reply and see where the scam is: it wasn't a link to wikipedia but a pdf attachment with many "sources" listed at the end of the article.
I quoted him my price, let's see what's his next step. I'll keep you posted, if you want.
CIAO,
Lorena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam email

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »