Thread poster: Stanislava Adamcová Balajová MBA
Espen Johansen
Espen Johansen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:58
English to Norwegian
+ ...
CWJ Jun 19, 2014

I also got scammed by this person, luckily only for a small job worth a few hundred euros. If anyone wants to track him down you can contact Google and say you have been scammed, and they should be able to provide you with the IP addresses he used to log in to his now deleted gmail account.

Stanislava Adamcová Balajová MBA
Slovakia
Local time: 06:58
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great, we are moving! Jun 19, 2014

thanks for another idea, could anyone make few sentences in native english and send it here, so all of us copy and paste it into our e-mails and contact google? thanks much

Karen Poot
Karen Poot  Identity Verified

English to Dutch
+ ...
Wilson - Lion bridge are not related Jun 19, 2014

I got an answer of Lion Bridge, a well know and renowned translation bureau, and they confirmed that they are in no way related to Chris Wilson. I assumed that. Anybody available to draw up the text for Google? I am not native but I can write a few lines? Let me know!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Do you know who the end clients were? Jun 19, 2014

Can they help to track him down? And where did they find out about him?

Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Holland company Jun 19, 2014

I contacted the company which produced machine, via FB and via email. No answer yet. Regarding google, I found no e-mail where could I write my complaint

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jun 19, 2014

I do recommend trying a debt collection agency if you've lost a lot of money. I used to use them a lot when I worked in a bank, and they used to work miracles finding people who'd disappeared. They'll take 25% to 35% of whatever they collect.

Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
any recommendations? Jun 19, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

I do recommend trying a debt collection agency if you've lost a lot of money. I used to use them a lot when I worked in a bank, and they used to work miracles finding people who'd disappeared. They'll take 25% to any re35% of whatever they collect.

I contacted 2, and no answer

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Are any of those affected members of the other translation site we can't name here? Jun 19, 2014

Someone using that name and contact details set up a profile there on April 19. The page or profile has since been deleted/removed, but it was still visible yesterday via Google's cached pages. I can no longer access it today.

Perhaps the staff there could assist you or provide more information.

[Edited at 2014-06-19 15:40 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I can't recommend any debt collection agencies Jun 19, 2014

because it's so long since I worked for the bank. But keep trying - you may have to contact several because some only deal with big companies' bad debts.

No one has put an entry on the BlueBoard yet!

Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
who wants to get the money? Jun 19, 2014

this is the reply, I need more people to make the company working

Unfortunately we don’t work with debts under £500. We would assist with a debt of this size if you have multiple debtors but if this is a one of debt we wouldn’t be able to offer any assistance

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scam Jun 19, 2014

I would NEVER under any circumstance accept a project from a gmail address without advance payment in full. The person is virtually anonymous (anyone can create a gmail, hotmail, etc. account with fake information) and you have absolutely no recourse to collect. I doubt that Chris Wilson is even his real name.

Even if the email comes from a project manager I know, I will insist that a follow-up mail be sent from the agency's address before I start to work.

One could th
... See more
I would NEVER under any circumstance accept a project from a gmail address without advance payment in full. The person is virtually anonymous (anyone can create a gmail, hotmail, etc. account with fake information) and you have absolutely no recourse to collect. I doubt that Chris Wilson is even his real name.

Even if the email comes from a project manager I know, I will insist that a follow-up mail be sent from the agency's address before I start to work.

One could theoretically set up a phony address and subcontract all of your translations out for free.

[Edited at 2014-06-19 21:15 GMT]
Collapse

Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no person wants the money back?? Jun 20, 2014

I am waiting for your emails, if there are more people-creating biggert debt to be collected, comapny starts working

Jurga Turner
Jurga Turner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
So frustrating Jun 22, 2014

Hi there,

He owes me over £ 100. I am happy to add my name on his debt list.

I am going to call Citizen's advice Beauroux and see what they could suggest. I am not sure how it works but there is a Small Claims Court that deals with small sums. I am sure there should be something that we could do!!!!!
Also he is only the link between the clients so I will try finding some clues through the company's who ordered translations in the first place.

So f
... See more
Hi there,

He owes me over £ 100. I am happy to add my name on his debt list.

I am going to call Citizen's advice Beauroux and see what they could suggest. I am not sure how it works but there is a Small Claims Court that deals with small sums. I am sure there should be something that we could do!!!!!
Also he is only the link between the clients so I will try finding some clues through the company's who ordered translations in the first place.

So frustrating....

jurga
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think you will not be able to get hold of him Jun 23, 2014

It should be a fake identity and you will never find his real identity, so any efforts of "debt collection" will add to the loss - lot of more valuable time.

Just take it as a lesson you have learned.

Katharina Achen
Katharina Achen
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the clients Jun 29, 2014

Hey everybody,

The same thing happened to me, the guy also owes me money ...
Has anybody been able to contact the clients yet? They should know who they assigned with the translations, right? Maybe we all translated for the same clients.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chris Wilson CJW Translations Ltd.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »