Thread poster: Chosana Thanabhumi
Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Do not contact Lingvopoint Nov 18, 2014

Dear colleagues! I urge you not to contact Lingvopoint. By doing so you're disclosing your real email address and your identity to these scammers. Once they know your contact information nothing will stop them from creating an email address that looks like yours.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:06
Danish to English
+ ...
No copyright transfer Nov 18, 2014

Carlos González-Rivera wrote:

How did "Eleni Margarita" know I was complaining if I never wrote to her in the first place?

The web hosting company told her.

After all, once we post our picture on any online service (including ProZ), we cease to own copyright for it.

Where did you read that? The Terms of Use do not say that you hand over copyright to Proz of anything. If Proz suddenly owned the copyright, then you couldn't even use your own description and photo elsewhere without Proz's permission.

Also, I don't think we should be treating this as a copyright infringement.

It's a very effective way of having such pirated content taken down. Why not use it?

I believe this should all be on the lines of identity theft, actually.

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html says:

"Identity theft and identity fraud are terms used to refer to all types of crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person's personal data in some way that involves fraud or deception, typically for economic gain."

So yes, perhaps it is also identity theft, but they quick and easy way to get the stuff removed is to complain about copyright infringement.

The trouble with reporting such things to the authorities is that they may not have time to deal with everything, and it can be immensely complicated to identify the competent jurisdiction and the offender.

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 03:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
good advice about not contacting/responding to this "Eleni" Nov 19, 2014

Tomás and Dmitry -- you're both right, we should *not* be responding to these so-called apology e-mails from Eleni or contacting Lingvopoint: there's a good chance, as you point out, that they will simply harvest "live" e-mails for further fraud.

So I stand corrected and I take back what I recommended before (bombarding Eleni with mass e-mails demanding an explanation). It shows how easy it is to fall into the illusion of thinking these are real people. Thanks for your more vigi
... See more
Tomás and Dmitry -- you're both right, we should *not* be responding to these so-called apology e-mails from Eleni or contacting Lingvopoint: there's a good chance, as you point out, that they will simply harvest "live" e-mails for further fraud.

So I stand corrected and I take back what I recommended before (bombarding Eleni with mass e-mails demanding an explanation). It shows how easy it is to fall into the illusion of thinking these are real people. Thanks for your more vigilant advice!
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Action from Proz? Nov 20, 2014

Will any action be taken by Proz on behalf of us?

Most of us do pay for membership and would expect this kind of forgery not to occur as often as it is.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 04:06
SITE STAFF
I posted on this earlier Nov 21, 2014

Hello DJHartmann,

I posted on this earlier, at http://www.proz.com/post/2366915#2366915 . Thanks.

Jared

Nikki Kopelman
Nikki Kopelman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Some answers or statement from Proz please Nov 23, 2014

Jared, I think one of the reasons people have become unhappy with Proz (apart from the actual security problem), is that lack of public announcement or notification. Anyone who hasn't seen this thread or been on Linkedin may be completely unaware, and I think they have the right to be informed.

I think Proz needs to send out a message, or at least put a prominent notice on the home page about this incident, and warn translators to be vigilant, perhaps a guide to checking if your pr
... See more
Jared, I think one of the reasons people have become unhappy with Proz (apart from the actual security problem), is that lack of public announcement or notification. Anyone who hasn't seen this thread or been on Linkedin may be completely unaware, and I think they have the right to be informed.

I think Proz needs to send out a message, or at least put a prominent notice on the home page about this incident, and warn translators to be vigilant, perhaps a guide to checking if your profile has appeared on other sites, and ways to get it taken down if it has been used unauthorised. This would help alleviate some concerns and show that some action has been taken.

I too would like to know what happened. It seems strange that (from what I have seen), the majority, if not all, of the profiles on that site were only of paying Proz members, does that not seem just a little strange and perhaps suggest that it was more than just "scraping"? Otherwise more profiles of non-paying users from the site should have been included too.

I am not a paid up member, and could not find myself on there, and although I have wavered several times about getting a subscription, if being a paid up member can expose you to this kind of security issue I think I'm better off without.

Jared, although you may not be able to give us specifics of how you are beefing up the Proz security, surely you can explain to us how you were instrumental in getting the site taken down? A quick explanation of the steps that were taken to achieve that might go some way towards alleviating the concerns of members
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
To be fair Nov 23, 2014

NKopelman wrote:

I think Proz needs to send out a message, or at least put a prominent notice on the home page about this incident, and warn translators to be vigilant, perhaps a guide to checking if your profile has appeared on other sites, and ways to get it taken down if it has been used unauthorised.

There has been a front-page notice under "ProZ News" for days now.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 09:06
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not enough, i'm afraid Nov 23, 2014

DLyons wrote:

There has been a front-page notice under "ProZ News" for days now.

I'm afraid that's no use to me, nor I suspect, to many other users of ProZ.com; I only ever visit the site via a KudoZ page, and all I've been seeing on that for days now is a lurid advert for improving my sexual performance — which to be frank, I'd rather not see!

Perhaps we could persuade ProZ.com to prioritize protecting its members over advertising revenue; I'd like to see a prominent scam warning, maybe a scrolling banner or some other eye-catching animation, at the top of EVERY page (except perhaps individual profile pages), so no matter what route you take to access the site, you can't avoid being aware of it.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:06
French to German
+ ...
ProZ News Nov 23, 2014

I did not see these news neither nor do I know where to find them...

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the front page. Nov 23, 2014

http://www.proz.com/?sp=new_features

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
How the site was taken down Nov 23, 2014

NKopelman wrote:

Jared, although you may not be able to give us specifics of how you are beefing up the Proz security, surely you can explain to us how you were instrumental in getting the site taken down? A quick explanation of the steps that were taken to achieve that might go some way towards alleviating the concerns of members

I explained on page one of this forum how to report the incident to the site's web hosting company. I and several others did that. So the site was taken down. I have followed the same procedure several times in the past when rogue site owners had 'scraped' some of my articles. The web hosting companies usually react very quickly, even if only one person reports an infringement. Proz was not "instrumental" in this.

The only way to prevent anyone from 'scraping' your Internet content is not to publish anything on the Internet.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Automatically populated pages Nov 23, 2014

One thing I wanted to point out about that site is that not everyone's page was actually stolen. Anyone who entered the url with their name after it would come to a "profile" using that name. Now, a lot of pages were scraped, and if you saw your picture or language combinations, etc, yours was too, but when I ran the url followed by ahdkshdjdksosmdldk, I was taken to a profile that would "have more information added soon". There is a way to program a site so that what ever you put as a page will... See more
One thing I wanted to point out about that site is that not everyone's page was actually stolen. Anyone who entered the url with their name after it would come to a "profile" using that name. Now, a lot of pages were scraped, and if you saw your picture or language combinations, etc, yours was too, but when I ran the url followed by ahdkshdjdksosmdldk, I was taken to a profile that would "have more information added soon". There is a way to program a site so that what ever you put as a page will be automatically populated around that word.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »