Yoram Bar-Am  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:47
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
MORE DETAILS ON THIS SCAM Nov 16, 2014

Chosana Thanabhumi wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I have just found out that my name appears on lingvopoint.com with my photo, language pairs and the rates that are not my usual rates. The site was unknown to me, and I have never been contacted by lingvopoint.com. I think they just copied translators' profiles from Proz.com. When I clicked "Send message" on my fake profile there, I got an error message: "Access denied. You are not allowed to do this", then I was redirected to a login form. When I clicked "Support", "About" or "Contacts" on the site, there is no contact information of the site. They claim that there are 43158 translators working for them. The "Hot projects" section on their first page seems to be copied from translation jobs that were posted on Proz.com. I found their email address when I looked up the domain in the Whois database, but I cannot find anything when I enter their email address into Google.

Do you find your name there too? Can we do something about this?

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:42 GMT]

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:47
Italian to German
+ ...
Abuse report - answers Nov 16, 2014

I reported the abuse to the e-mail addresses that were suggested and that is what they replied:

[email protected]:
The web site / domain lingvopoint.com is currently hosted by DigitalOcean.com so we at NephoScale Inc. do not provide any services to them at the moment.... See more
I reported the abuse to the e-mail addresses that were suggested and that is what they replied:

[email protected]:
The web site / domain lingvopoint.com is currently hosted by DigitalOcean.com so we at NephoScale Inc. do not provide any services to them at the moment.

Please see below:

http://whois.domaintools.com/104.131.120.74
http://whois.domaintools.com/lingvopoint.com

PS
If you have IP address they previously used on our systems (NephoScale) please let us know.

Thank you!

--
Eugeny Zadevalov
SVWH Support Staff

[email protected]:
Thank you for submitting your abuse complaint. One of our support engineers has picked it up and assigned it to the customer in question and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks so much,
DigitalOcean

So hopefully something is moving!!!
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
This must be very recent Nov 16, 2014

I am sure about that because the photo on my profile was entered by me in proz.com and facebook at the beginning of October (I took it end of September).

No authorization, never heard about them

Edit
PS: my information are wrong too.

[Edited at 2014-11-16 12:20 GMT]

Florian Wollenschein
Florian Wollenschein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Hopefully they will take it down Nov 16, 2014

AndreaBauer wrote:

[email protected]:
Thank you for submitting your abuse complaint. One of our support engineers has picked it up and assigned it to the customer in question and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks so much,
DigitalOcean

So hopefully something is moving!!!

I just received the same reply. Hopefully, they will take the site down.

lammersdorf (X)
lammersdorf (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
hopefully soon! Nov 16, 2014

So did I. I hope they will be flooded with these requests and take it down within the next few hours.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same here Nov 16, 2014

I have just sent a complain

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:47
Danish to English
+ ...
Complain to The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Nov 16, 2014

"The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C)."

They accept complaints if one of the parties is in the US. Any US resident translators volunteering?

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too Nov 16, 2014

Hello I'm in it too, as well as many other Italian translators.
Please advice what we can do, if anyone knows, with reference to the Italian law.
Thank you in advance
Pamela

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:47
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yup, me too Nov 16, 2014

I was on there, too. AND they had the brazen cheek to give me a low rating. Gasp! I also saw someone there with an English - Breakfast language pair ... Duh! Maybe they will be offering B&B services.

What bothers me is how these lowlifes could so easily lift the information of so many people who have worked so hard over the years -- 30+ in my case -- from this site.

I'm a paying Proz member. Doesn't Proz value my personal information? ...
See more
I was on there, too. AND they had the brazen cheek to give me a low rating. Gasp! I also saw someone there with an English - Breakfast language pair ... Duh! Maybe they will be offering B&B services.

What bothers me is how these lowlifes could so easily lift the information of so many people who have worked so hard over the years -- 30+ in my case -- from this site.

I'm a paying Proz member. Doesn't Proz value my personal information?
Collapse

Andrea Bauer
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Another answer from nephoscale & digitalocean Nov 16, 2014

I brought to the attention of nephoscale the link of this thread and that is what they just replied:

Thanks for the link provided.

My understanding is that you guys need to focus on the domain take down through the Domain Name Registrar since the creators of this website will move to another ISP and you'll have again to file complaints to ISPs like NephoScale and DigitalOcean.
In fact at the moment NephoScale has nothing to do with this stuff.

Taki
... See more
I brought to the attention of nephoscale the link of this thread and that is what they just replied:

Thanks for the link provided.

My understanding is that you guys need to focus on the domain take down through the Domain Name Registrar since the creators of this website will move to another ISP and you'll have again to file complaints to ISPs like NephoScale and DigitalOcean.
In fact at the moment NephoScale has nothing to do with this stuff.

Taking down the domain on the Registrar level will be the most effective solution to this problem in my own opinion.

http://www.name.com/ is the domain Registrar for lingvopoint.com and their support can be reached at methods provided on this page http://www.name.com/contact

Thank you!

--
Eugeny Zadevalov
SVWH Support Staff

Hello,

Thanks for your update. We're investigating this with our customer to get this resolved for you.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

DigitalOcean

[Edited at 2014-11-16 13:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-16 13:21 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Has their website been removed? Nov 16, 2014

Apparently something has moved! I cannot access their website any longer... Let's hope so! Could some of you try it too? TIA

Rea Gutzwiller
Rea Gutzwiller  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
it seems gone Nov 16, 2014

For now it seems gone... let's see if they just move to a new hosting company or whether the registring thing has pulled as well!

lammersdorf (X)
lammersdorf (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Victory :) Nov 16, 2014

"This webpage is not available

The connection to lingvopoint.com was interrupted.
Check your internet connection.

Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...

Ch
... See more
"This webpage is not available

The connection to lingvopoint.com was interrupted.
Check your internet connection.

Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...

Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Opera menu > Settings > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN"."

The site is down. Hopefully, it will not reappear under a different name - and hopefully our data is safe now.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:47
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Not quite Nov 16, 2014

lammersdorf wrote:

.... - and hopefully our data is safe now.

They still have the personal information and data that they pillaged from Proz. That's the identities of over 43,158 translators! I'm sure that they won't have trouble selling the 'spoils of war' to yet another unscrupulous third party to recoup their 'losses.' Sigh....

[Edited at 2014-11-16 15:35 GMT]

Andrea Bauer
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Good news Nov 16, 2014

That's really good news and it shows that we can do something if we "fight" all together.
So keep your eyes open!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »