Thread poster: Yael Arbell
Yael Arbell
Yael Arbell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
English to Hebrew
Mar 30, 2015

Hi
I got a suspicious job offer today, which looks similar to a job offer posted on another forum.
It reads the following:
"We came across your profile in Proz.com. We have a huge bulk of software or internet definitions and materials needed to be translated from English to Hebrew. We would like to offer you a 2 month contract on 50,000 words. Our rate is at $0.1 (USD) per source word.

We need to start the translations ASAP within 2 days. So please reply immediate
... See more
Hi
I got a suspicious job offer today, which looks similar to a job offer posted on another forum.
It reads the following:
"We came across your profile in Proz.com. We have a huge bulk of software or internet definitions and materials needed to be translated from English to Hebrew. We would like to offer you a 2 month contract on 50,000 words. Our rate is at $0.1 (USD) per source word.

We need to start the translations ASAP within 2 days. So please reply immediately when you receive the email if you are interested.

Also our workload will be very easy, so you can handle your other jobs too.

Hope this offer meets your expectations. We would like to discuss more about it. Please reply ASAP.

Yours faithfully
Mathew Joshnson"

The sender used a gmail address which I could not track online and did not provide a company name or terms of payment even when I asked for details thrice. He than gave me a name of the company's director (but not the company's name), but the name does not appear on Google either.

A warning regarding a very similar offer was posted on translatorscafe 5 years ago: http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/forumthread25238.htm

The sample text for the test was taken from this website (where it is already translated to many languages, btw): http://skype.en.downloadastro.com/

I do not mean to slander innocent people and apologise if I offended anyone, but I refused to take the job or send the sample.
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suspicious?? Mar 31, 2015

Yael Arbell wrote:
I got a suspicious job offer today.....
Our rate is at $0.1 (USD) per source word.

I wouldn't call this a suspicious offer as any job at that rate does not even deserve to be called an offer, who cares if it is legitimate or not, at that rate it doesn't matter.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:19
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Eh? Mar 31, 2015

Alex Lago wrote:

Yael Arbell wrote:
I got a suspicious job offer today.....
Our rate is at $0.1 (USD) per source word.

I wouldn't call this a suspicious offer as any job at that rate does not even deserve to be called an offer, who cares if it is legitimate or not, at that rate it doesn't matter.

$0.10/wd not good enough? Spain's economy is going strong, it seems :/

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, suspicious Mar 31, 2015

Also at http://www.tapuz.co.il/forums2008/viewmsg.aspx?forumid=384&messageid=178184324#178185498

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Spelling Mar 31, 2015

Yael Arbell wrote:

"...
Yours faithfully
Mathew Joshnson"

He can't spell his own name?

No company details = scam.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-31 15:54 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My bad Mar 31, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:
$0.10/wd not good enough?

My bad, don't know why but I'd seen this as $0.01 iso $0.1

Yael Arbell
Yael Arbell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple names Mar 31, 2015

Joakim Braun wrote:

Yael Arbell wrote:

"...
Yours faithfully
Mathew Joshnson"

He can't spell his own name?

No company details = scam.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-31 15:54 GMT]

Don't be so hard with him. From the following link (from 2013) you can see he uses at least one more name and it might not be easy for him to remember how to spell them all..

http://ridatranslation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/welcome.html

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Avoid such people. Mar 31, 2015

Ask them why they can't spell their name if they are involved in the translation industry.
as we say in Hebrew: " הפסולת לסל וחסל"

Happy Passover!

Gad Kohenov

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Apr 1, 2015

So he's found your profile on ProZ.com. Nice. Then why does he only say "hi" and doesn't address you properly? Your profile displays your name. Is this an indication for how your collaboration is supposed to be? And then his name. There is, of course, a tiny-tiny chance that his name is spelled the way he displayed it. Very doubtful, but possible.

At least he was nice enough to allow you to continue working with your other clients....
See more
So he's found your profile on ProZ.com. Nice. Then why does he only say "hi" and doesn't address you properly? Your profile displays your name. Is this an indication for how your collaboration is supposed to be? And then his name. There is, of course, a tiny-tiny chance that his name is spelled the way he displayed it. Very doubtful, but possible.

At least he was nice enough to allow you to continue working with your other clients. IMO your decision to refuse was very wise.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suspicious job offer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »