Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

Hi,
Today I was honored with the following message (in my scam box):

"Dear,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent 2015 Worldwide Branding Registry of Distinguished Professionals and Executives.
We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved May 2nd. Congratulations. The Publishing Committee selects potential candidates based not only upon their current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive
... See more
Hi,

"Dear,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent 2015 Worldwide Branding Registry of Distinguished Professionals and Executives.
We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved May 2nd. Congratulations. The Publishing Committee selects potential candidates based not only upon their current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive and professional directories, associations, and trade journals.
Given your background, the Director believes your profile makes a fitting addition to our publication. There is no fee nor obligation to be listed. As we are working off of secondary sources, we must receive verification from you that your profile is accurate. After receiving verification, we will validate your registry listing within seven business days.
Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishments within their own geographical area.
To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please visit here.

Our registration deadline for this year's candidates is May 28th. To ensure you are included, we must receive your verification on or before this date. On behalf of our Committee, I salute your achievement and look forward to welcoming you to our association.
Sincerely,

Benjamin Morisson
Editor in Chief
Worldwide Selection Committee 2015

¡¡

¡¡

If you don't want to receive emails any more, please Unsubscribe"
The unsubscribe line is specially thoughtful (and dangerous!).
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:31
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Very amusing Apr 17, 2015

Danik 2014 wrote:

Hi,

"Dear,

We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved May 2nd. Congratulations. The Publishing Committee selects potential candidates based not only upon their current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive and professional directories, associations, and trade journals.
Given your background, the Director believes your profile makes a fitting addition to our publication. There is no fee nor obligation to be listed. As we are working off of secondary sources, we must receive verification from you that your profile is accurate. After receiving verification, we will validate your registry listing within seven business days.
Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishments within their own geographical area.
To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please visit here.

Our registration deadline for this year's candidates is May 28th. To ensure you are included, we must receive your verification on or before this date. On behalf of our Committee, I salute your achievement and look forward to welcoming you to our association.
Sincerely,

Benjamin Morisson
Editor in Chief
Worldwide Selection Committee 2015

¡¡

¡¡

If you don't want to receive emails any more, please Unsubscribe"
The unsubscribe line is specially thoughtful (and dangerous!).

So they know your background and selected you as a candidate...as someone who's never been subscribed to their (Spam) emails, correct?

If they really meant you and conducted a "background check", then how come they are unable to address you by name?

Still, this is quite an inventive scam, though the signature block doesn't state which "Commitee" of what publication they belong to. The Worldwide Scammers 'Associated Press?

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Amusing indeed Apr 17, 2015

We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved May 2nd.

Apparently, they also have a time machine!

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:31
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
They keep trying and surprising us Apr 17, 2015

What surprises me is their creativity which lacks some kind of review based on what they write. If you read it back you find gaps/mistakes/missing info/lacking terms or info.

But still, it might catch us on a busy day....

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To all Apr 17, 2015

Thanks, everybody!:)
There are these nice links at the bottom of the posts, which I don´t know how to use, so I'll answer you here by order of posting.
Thayenga,
Fortunately they have no idea about my background. Somehow they got my e-mail at Proz or somewhere else.
Whoever it is needs personal data from other people, the professional background is not important. I suppose
they have contacted or intend to contact other people too.
Texjax
Don´t be so
... See more
Thanks, everybody!:)
There are these nice links at the bottom of the posts, which I don´t know how to use, so I'll answer you here by order of posting.
Thayenga,
Fortunately they have no idea about my background. Somehow they got my e-mail at Proz or somewhere else.
Whoever it is needs personal data from other people, the professional background is not important. I suppose
they have contacted or intend to contact other people too.
Texjax
Don´t be so exacting. Who told you they mean May 2nd 2015? So many Mays have passed and returned since I was born....;)
Paulinho,
Yes, you are quite right! But it seems,that this kind of scam wants to impress by its general aspect.
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 19:31
English to Finnish
+ ...
Ask for help Apr 17, 2015

Tell them that you have been diagnosed with pre-dementia dementia and at times have trouble remembering who you actually are. Perhaps Mr. Morrisson can help.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Amusing though also worrying Apr 18, 2015

Amusing for those of us never likely to be taken in but it's very slick compared to those Nigerian scams etc. I can imagine that there are isolated naive translators out there who would fall for that one. And suffer the consequences. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think so too, Sheila! Apr 18, 2015

That´s why I posted it.Specially the unsubscribe button is dangerous. Because, if someone, who, of course, never subscribed to receive e-mails from this people (and their e-mail is a typical scam e-mail!) presses the unsubscribe
button thinking he will get rid of them, he in fact will confirm his e-mail. And that´s what they want. It is one e-mail but with two different traps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam alert (but this one is amusing)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »