Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What should I do when somebody uses my address on their resume?
Thread poster: Harumi Uemura
Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:08
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can send out an alert about this Nov 11, 2015

Hello,

I would like to add to what has been said in this thread that besides alerting the authorities, what is advised to do in these situations is to raise awareness about the fact that you are being impersonated and leave a paper trail that helps people realize when people have been contacted by the scammer instead of by you.

That is the goal of alerts sent from the scam alert center... See more
Hello,

I would like to add to what has been said in this thread that besides alerting the authorities, what is advised to do in these situations is to raise awareness about the fact that you are being impersonated and leave a paper trail that helps people realize when people have been contacted by the scammer instead of by you.

That is the goal of alerts sent from the scam alert center . The reports are stored in a
dedicated page . If I an alert is sent about this impersonation, it will be stored there, along with your name. If someone makes a search a name for their name, they will find that they are dealing with a scammer. This will protect your Internet presence, and help fight scammers in the translator industry.

If you supply the name and email address used by this person, I can send out an alert about this. Please submit a support request to supply this information and I will look into it. Thank you!

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Harumi Uemura
Harumi Uemura  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 11, 2015

Thank you Alejandro. I just submitted the request and information of the false resume sent to my client.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 17:08
Slovak to English
John Nov 11, 2015

that's a very good point about identity theft and that hadn't occurred to me. But Harumi seems to have made inroads to resolving her issue. Alejandro is right, we must keep an eye on this and we should all be alert.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why not just send the person an email and ask them why they did it? Nov 12, 2015

Harumi Uemura wrote:

I'm an individual freelance translator located in the U.S.
I was recently contacted by one of my clients asking if I had a husband or family member who is also a translator.
Apparently, an individual was using my physical address for his resume.
I am not married and none of my family members are translators. I do not know this person.
My client then forwarded the e-mail containing this person's resume and the residential/business address listed is clearly mine.
All the other information has nothing to do with mine.
What should I do in such a case?

Best Regards,

[Edited at 2015-11-12 04:59 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
German to English
+ ...
Short resume Nov 14, 2015

Although this is not a direct answer to this question, I think it's worth mentioning the idea of having only a very short CV (=resume), not including your address, available for download via your Proz profile. If somebody wants your full CV, let them ask you for it, and then you'll (probably!) know who they are.
Earlier discussion threads whe
... See more
Although this is not a direct answer to this question, I think it's worth mentioning the idea of having only a very short CV (=resume), not including your address, available for download via your Proz profile. If somebody wants your full CV, let them ask you for it, and then you'll (probably!) know who they are.
Earlier discussion threads where this was mentioned include:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/267751-suggestion_dont_post_cvs.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/259561-bad_translator_impersonates_a_good_one.html
Collapse

Harumi Uemura
Harumi Uemura  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
American Translator's Association. Nov 23, 2015

In addition to reporting to the postal authorities, I found a link on the ATA website regarding where to report such scams. I have already contacted the ATA director regarding this matter. Again, thank you all for your advice!
https://www.atanet.org/membership/internet_scams.php

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Just a thought Nov 23, 2015

Try to find out who it is. Let a friend ask for his services (so on another computer), let him keep on asking and see "where the boat is sinking". Maybe this will lead to some hard evidence with which you can go to the police (an answer = an IP-address).

Somebody who is using your name hardly sounds to me as a hardcore maffiosi, more like a poor bastard who is trying to make a penny (dollar) by using your name. In short, no Einstein. Scam the scammer!

[Edited at 2015-11-23 2
... See more
Try to find out who it is. Let a friend ask for his services (so on another computer), let him keep on asking and see "where the boat is sinking". Maybe this will lead to some hard evidence with which you can go to the police (an answer = an IP-address).

Somebody who is using your name hardly sounds to me as a hardcore maffiosi, more like a poor bastard who is trying to make a penny (dollar) by using your name. In short, no Einstein. Scam the scammer!

[Edited at 2015-11-23 21:30 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I do when somebody uses my address on their resume?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »