Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:05
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Jan 14, 2016

They'll send you an email urging you to take an extremely simple test as soon as possible (within minutes), and they offer a $0.71 per word rate (not bad). To take the test you must follow a fake link (not belonging to the real Accent On Languages).

Accent On Languages seems to be a legitimate business, but their domain is accentonlanguages (which, by the way, is under construction) and not accent-on-languages (as in the the fake link).

I haven't taken test, so I don't
... See more
They'll send you an email urging you to take an extremely simple test as soon as possible (within minutes), and they offer a $0.71 per word rate (not bad). To take the test you must follow a fake link (not belonging to the real Accent On Languages).

Accent On Languages seems to be a legitimate business, but their domain is accentonlanguages (which, by the way, is under construction) and not accent-on-languages (as in the the fake link).

I haven't taken test, so I don't really know what the scam is about. Just sure it is a scam.

[Edited at 2016-01-14 23:20 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No sense in that! Jan 14, 2016

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:
...so I don't really know what the scam is about. Just sure it is a scam.

On the slim evidence given, I don't really see how you can be quite that sure? This whole notion of a 'fake' link seems to my highly unlikely: why would a company send you off on a link to another company with an almost-identical domain name? I think it's much more likely to be that they are simply in the process of switching over to a different domain name (or maybe using 2 in parallel?) so perhaps the link points to an existing site on the old domain name, instead of the new one, which is under construction.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Second scam in a week Jan 14, 2016

Actually, the correct URL for the legitimate company is http://accentonlanguages.com and is a fully functional website. If you go to this page:

http://accentonlanguages.com/index.html

You will see that they are aware of a scam perpetrated by some third party using a fake URL accentonl
... See more
Actually, the correct URL for the legitimate company is http://accentonlanguages.com and is a fully functional website. If you go to this page:

http://accentonlanguages.com/index.html

You will see that they are aware of a scam perpetrated by some third party using a fake URL accentonlg.com.

I usually check the URL of suspicious emails for broken pages or other anomalies. It opens an under construction page, like Álvaro indicated.

Common sense born of decades of using the Internet would tell us not to click on any hyperlinks in suspicious emails. There are scammers out there who harvest legit emails to use them later.

Stay safe, people.
Collapse

Olga Miller
Olga Miller  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Fraudulent site! Jan 15, 2016

Earlier today, I received an email from [email protected] containing this link http://accent-on-languages.com/assessment/ inviting me to take a translation test.

On
... See more
Earlier today, I received an email from [email protected] containing this link http://accent-on-languages.com/assessment/ inviting me to take a translation test.

On the company's LEGITIMATE website http://www.accentonlanguages.com/, there is this message:

BREAKING NEWS: Beware of fraudulent site "www.accent-on-languages.com"

Please beware of a fraudulent entity impersonating our company
under the address www.accent-on-languages.com

Do not trust any information provided on www.accent-on-languages.com;
if you are in doubt, please contact us at 510-655-9470 and we will be glad to help you.

Accent on Languages proper address is www.accentonlanguages.com | Thank you very much for your help!
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Except, they say so themselves... Jan 15, 2016

Tony M wrote:

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:
...so I don't really know what the scam is about. Just sure it is a scam.

On the slim evidence given, I don't really see how you can be quite that sure? This whole notion of a 'fake' link seems to my highly unlikely: why would a company send you off on a link to another company with an almost-identical domain name? I think it's much more likely to be that they are simply in the process of switching over to a different domain name (or maybe using 2 in parallel?) so perhaps the link points to an existing site on the old domain name, instead of the new one, which is under construction.

So, I received a "Thank You - Accent On Languages - Freelance Translator‏" mail out of the blue (I don't remember ever applying with that agency...), and the link in the email was to "accent-on-languages.com", however, clicking on the company logo on that page redirected to "www.accentonlanguages.com", where, on the main page, you can read "BREAKING NEWS: Beware of fraudulent site "www.accent-on-languages.com"", so that sounds quite self-explanatory... (in reply to Tony M).

The offer is VERY enticing. so much so that red flags pop up all over the place, like "weekly pay deposited via wire transfer", "family health insurance starting after 90 days of employment", " 1 Permanent full-time, 5 Temporary part-time", "weekly project basis ranging from 500 to 35 000 words" (all of that, for a freelance position...), "$0.47 - $0.71 Per Word" AND "our web software will immediately scan your test and notify you of your success or failure". Oh, and last but not least: "Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, January 15, 2016 11:59 pm EST . Late applications will not be accepted." LOL.

At any rate, these scams are becoming rather worrisome AND disturbing... I guess these scammers got my email address from the hipay scam (another quite elaborated scam) posted directly here on ProZ a couple weeks ago (which is the only reason why I replied, btw...). I sincerely hope I'm not doomed to receive scam emails once a week now...

Since I did not follow through with the "procedure", I'm not sure what the scam is (hoping it doesn't involve malicious code...), but perhaps someone else can confirm whether it involves the payment of a sum or something else...

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
I have just received an email from Accent Jan 15, 2016

I have just received an email from the Human Resource Department in which they say that my application can go ahead and they ask me to do a test (clicking a link).

At the moment I don't remember having contacted them in the past. And there are no references in their email concerning this.

The message comes from this address:
[email protected]

Should I trust them??
Thank you for sharin
... See more
I have just received an email from the Human Resource Department in which they say that my application can go ahead and they ask me to do a test (clicking a link).

At the moment I don't remember having contacted them in the past. And there are no references in their email concerning this.

The message comes from this address:
[email protected]

Should I trust them??
Thank you for sharing any experience.
Collapse

me1 (X)
me1 (X)
Germany
English to German
I am also being lured into this scam.... Jan 15, 2016

Got this scam email from a fake translation agency as well today.
I can confirm above reports from others.
Additional info from the sender's email:

from mail133-15.atl131.mandrillapp.com ([198.2.133.15]) by smtpin.rzone.de (RZmta 37.15 OK) with ESMTPS id r02b48s0ENHvI31 (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (curve secp521r1 with 521 ECDH bits, eq. 15360 bits RSA)) (Client did not present a certificate) for (...)

if you do an easy IP
... See more
Got this scam email from a fake translation agency as well today.
I can confirm above reports from others.
Additional info from the sender's email:

from mail133-15.atl131.mandrillapp.com ([198.2.133.15]) by smtpin.rzone.de (RZmta 37.15 OK) with ESMTPS id r02b48s0ENHvI31 (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (curve secp521r1 with 521 ECDH bits, eq. 15360 bits RSA)) (Client did not present a certificate) for (...)

if you do an easy IP lookup to see where the IP stems from you get

General IP Information
IP: 198.2.133.15
Decimal: 3322053903
Hostname: mail133-15.atl131.mandrillapp.com
ASN: 14782
ISP: The Rocket Science Group, LLC
Organization: The Rocket Science Group, LLC
Services: Likely mail server
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information
Continent: North America
State/Region: Georgia
City: Atlanta
Latitude: 33.7719 (33° 46′ 18.84″ N)
Longitude: -84.3771 (84° 22′ 37.56″ W)
Postal Code: 30308

But this is of course no proof that the scammers are actually based in the US or are US citizen. They can as well just use a server based there.

Who knows.

I think the reason they lure you into clicking on a website is that they want to "capture" your PC's IP address. Hell knows what they do with your IP... And they can DO A LOT with an IP!

Just stay away from this, don'T click on anything and, if you want, report it as scam to above provider so they can block them and blacklist them.

my 2 cents on this matter.
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I got this e-mail too, Jan 15, 2016

and I was not involved at all in the hipay business. Thanks for the heads-up. It did look suspicious, but then sometimes I think the genuine ones look a little fishy themselves.

vohveld (X)
vohveld (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I got an e-mail this morning Jan 15, 2016

And next to that I certainly didn't apply to this company, the text just screams fake:

"Thank you for taking the time to apply for the contracting position of Freelance Translator at Accent On Languages. We are pleased to inform you that after careful consideration and review of your qualifications, we would like to move forward with your application for this position.
We invite you to complete this small test as soon as you can, as it will be the sole determining factor for y
... See more
And next to that I certainly didn't apply to this company, the text just screams fake:

"Thank you for taking the time to apply for the contracting position of Freelance Translator at Accent On Languages. We are pleased to inform you that after careful consideration and review of your qualifications, we would like to move forward with your application for this position.
We invite you to complete this small test as soon as you can, as it will be the sole determining factor for your hiring. Please keep me in mind that this is not an in-house employment position but a renewable freelance offer. If you are successful in the assessment test, you will be able to immediately move forward in collaborating with us. Your test can be accessed at: http://accent-on-languages.com/assessment/
Your interest in Accent On Languages is greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to receive your test, and welcome you as our newest contracting freelance agent.

Best regards,
Human Resources
Accent On Languages

Kindly note that replies to this message are undeliverable. Please do not reply."

I mean, what genuine HR department won't be able to answer questions and use a non-replyable e-mail address...
Collapse

Evanthia Angelopoulou
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Greece
Local time: 20:05
English to Greek
+ ...
Thanks for the information! Jan 15, 2016

I received the same e-mail and one from hi-pay and another one before that! What is going on lately and what do they hope to gain? I really don't get it...

Kateryna Kryzhanovska
Kateryna Kryzhanovska  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you! Jan 15, 2016

Thank you everyone for warning about this scam!
I got the email too this morning. Fortunately you all posted about it
Thank you!

Paola Giardina
Paola Giardina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:05
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They ask you to pay for job! Jan 15, 2016

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS:

http://accent-on-languages.com/assessment/?ckattempt=1

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got it too. Jan 15, 2016

I've been going through a list of agencies this week so receiving this email didn't seem out of the cold. Luckily I take note of those contacts I make and Accent On Languages (the legitimate one) was not on my current list. Checking the non-legit site rang a bell and comparing with the legit site showed me their warning. In fact the email I received did not include any of those signals which usually ring a bell, like the hipay scam email, except for a grammar mistake. Maybe it's the same pe... See more
I've been going through a list of agencies this week so receiving this email didn't seem out of the cold. Luckily I take note of those contacts I make and Accent On Languages (the legitimate one) was not on my current list. Checking the non-legit site rang a bell and comparing with the legit site showed me their warning. In fact the email I received did not include any of those signals which usually ring a bell, like the hipay scam email, except for a grammar mistake. Maybe it's the same people trying to do things differently.

Good thing people are reacting quickly to these kinds of scams so lesser and lesser of us are falling to them.
Thanks Accent On Languages (the real one) for posting your warning quickly. The following days I'll be sending you (the legitimate one) an application.
It's an ill wind that blows no good
Collapse

Bart Pauly
Bart Pauly  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
Me too Jan 15, 2016

They ask you to pay a deposit to make sure you are not fake / a hacker...

AOL
AOL
United States
Local time: 10:05
Member (2005)
UPDATE FROM ACCENT ON LANGUAGES, Inc. Jan 15, 2016

Dear translators,

This is a message from Eduardo P. Martinez, Director of Operations at Accent on Languages, a translation company located in Berkeley, California, and a website located at www.accentonlanguages.com

We would like to clarify the situation regarding this scam, here are the facts and steps we have taken to resolve the situation:

-Earlier this week we we
... See more
Dear translators,

This is a message from Eduardo P. Martinez, Director of Operations at Accent on Languages, a translation company located in Berkeley, California, and a website located at www.accentonlanguages.com

We would like to clarify the situation regarding this scam, here are the facts and steps we have taken to resolve the situation:

-Earlier this week we were informed of a fake, fraudulent site located at www.accent-on-languages.com, a company stole logos and other information from our legitimate website, and contacted translators misrepresenting themselves as the real Accent on Languages. Some translators were contacted by [email protected] which is a fake address containing false information.

-Please take note the site "www.accent-on-languages.com" and the e-mail address "[email protected]" are fake and do not belong to Accent on Languages.

-In addition, a fake job opportunity was posted on Indeed.com by the same fake site www.accent-on-languages.com

-Yesterday, 1/14/2016, we reported the issue to the registrar of the domain "www.accent-on-languages.com", the hosting company, ICANN, and Indeed.com, about the fraudulent activities from www.accent-on-languages.com and the fraudulent job posting.

-Today, 1/15/2016, Indeed.com removed the job posting, and the hosting company suspended the account for www.accent-on-languages.com, which should not be accessible anymore.

-If you have been contacted by Accent on Languages and you are in doubt, please contact our office in Berkeley, California, at +1-510-655-9470 to make sure the communication really came from us.

-We also invite you to visit our real website at www.accentonlanguages.com to learn more about our company.

Thank you and best regards.

Eduardo Puyol-Martinez
Director of Operations
Accent on Languages
[email protected]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accent On Languages (Scam)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »