English
+ ...
Only way to go Apr 15, 2016

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:
the site must be shut down.

Surely it can't be legal, can it?

It's all very well telling us to ask to be removed, but
a) does it happen?
and b) I haven't yet worked out how to find out if I'm on it as there are so many FR>EN "translators" on there; well names, anyway. Alphabetical order comes up just as random as unordered, and you can't find a name from doing a Google search on AATII plus the name. Any ideas anyone?

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:43
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Issue when searching for my profile. Apr 15, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:
the site must be shut down.

Surely it can't be legal, can it?

It's all very well telling us to ask to be removed, but
a) does it happen?
and b) I haven't yet worked out how to find out if I'm on it as there are so many FR>EN "translators" on there; well names, anyway. Alphabetical order comes up just as random as unordered, and you can't find a name from doing a Google search on AATII plus the name. Any ideas anyone?

It is not in alphabetical order and I did not manage to see my profile there. I was wondering if contact the CEO on Facebook would help. https://www.facebook.com/clint.cheng1

[Edited at 2016-04-15 15:00 GMT]

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never contact scammers Apr 15, 2016

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

I was wondering if contact the CEO on Facebook would help. https://www.facebook.com/clint.cheng1

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:43
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sevilla Apr 15, 2016

DLyons wrote:

AATII is at:

#300-5900 No. 3 Road,
Richmond BC, V6X 3P7
Vancouver, British Columbia

https://www.google.fr/maps/search/%20How%20to%20Find%20Us%20%20#300-5900%20No.%203%20Road,%20Richmond%20BC,%20V6X%203P7/@49.1678882,-123.1474143,14z?hl=en

I've added them (it's under review by Google Maps). Once approved, you might like to comment there.

For some reason, this link leads me to Sevilla (Spain). Check it up, DLyons.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
No TD link in my case Apr 15, 2016

Maria Kopnitsky wrote:

various users have suggested a connection between the data available on AATII and the information publicly available at TranslationDirectory.com.

I have found my name in the AATII directory, but I'm not on Translation Directory.

Re: searching for your profile (Sheila and Paulinho): I searched by language pair, ordered alphabetically and then changed the page number to get to "E" for Emma by replacing the page number in the url address until I found it. (It took about 8 tries):

https://aatii.com/search?pagenumber=74&source=es&target=en&kind=kind2&isnative=false&expert=,&deliverdays=5&orderby=5&viewmode=grid

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 00:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
More T&I directories being harvested by AATII Apr 15, 2016

Ted Wozniak, who runs the highly respected Payment Practices site, has sent around an alert to the presidents of many T&I associations for further distribution to their members. Here's what his alert says:

"This special notice is to alert you to the possible misappropriation and
misuse of your name and translation credentials by an alleged "translation
platform" called "Alliance of Applied Translators and Interpreters
International" run by aatii.com e-c... See more
Ted Wozniak, who runs the highly respected Payment Practices site, has sent around an alert to the presidents of many T&I associations for further distribution to their members. Here's what his alert says:

"This special notice is to alert you to the possible misappropriation and
misuse of your name and translation credentials by an alleged "translation
platform" called "Alliance of Applied Translators and Interpreters
International" run by aatii.com e-commerce, inc. at aatii.com.

"It appears that the directories of ITI, ATA, and IOL have been harvested and
hundreds if not thousands of our names have been listed as translators at
the above site.

"You may wish to go to the site and search in your language combination to
see if your name has been hijacked."

A colleague in New Zealand reports that the national association in her country has also had its directory harvested. When another colleague called up AATII yesterday, there were two people who responded to her questions (or rather, dodged the questions). One of them said they have about 20,000 people "registered" so far and the list is growing fast every day. That means they're busy mining more T&I directories around the world. They clearly intend to continue until they reach 100,000 names, as stated in their website.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Server down Apr 15, 2016

The server seems to be down right now.

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Link is now updated Apr 15, 2016

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

For some reason, this link leads me to Sevilla (Spain). Check it up, DLyons.

Not sure what the problem was

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quality Apr 15, 2016

Just checking the landing page in Spanish: rubbish from Google Translate, in my opinion, not human Spanish. Why, if they have access to 100,000 translators all over the world?

[Edited at 2016-04-15 15:26 GMT]

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Another thing to note Apr 15, 2016

If you click their "VIP" quotation box, it redirects to some company called Prince Mountain...

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 00:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
AATII already has everybody's email addresses Apr 15, 2016

DLyons, ordinarily I would totally endorse your advice to never contact scammers or respond to their emails.

However, it turns out that, even if people didn't register with them intentionally (for instance, by responding to their spam/scam "translation contest"), AATII *already* has all of the email addresses of everybody listed in their directory!

Even without contacting them or providing any of my contact information, I discovered my email is already in their datab
... See more
DLyons, ordinarily I would totally endorse your advice to never contact scammers or respond to their emails.

However, it turns out that, even if people didn't register with them intentionally (for instance, by responding to their spam/scam "translation contest"), AATII *already* has all of the email addresses of everybody listed in their directory!

Even without contacting them or providing any of my contact information, I discovered my email is already in their database. I sent in a fake order for a translation, uploaded the file, put my name (copied from the fake profile(s) they created for me) in their ridiculous "Shopping Cart," and submitted my order. Lo and behold, I got an email notification urging me to respond quickly to the request at their website.

So I went ahead and sent them a cease and desist message through the "Contact" page they have (a link at the bottom of each page will take you to it). It's true that, to send them a message, I had to give them my email address, but what the heck, they have it already, so I'm not providing them with any information they don't already have. I tried calling them by phone, as my colleagues did yesterday, but now they're not answering.

If you don't want to use their Contact page, the Translation Scammers Directory has updated its information about AATII, discussing the list, and providing several email addresses people can use to contact them: see http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-notes.htm#n123

My lawyer recommended three points to include in a message demanding they remove personal information: (1) a clear statement of what you want them to do, (2) a brief statement of why, and (3) what the consequences will be if they do not comply. So I demanded they remove my name, profiles (2 of them!), email, and any other information in connection to me; I stated that their use of any information about me was done without my permission and therefore constituted illegal identity theft; and I gave them 24 hours to remove any trace of my information from both their website and their database, and if they don't, I will instruct my lawyer to take legal action against them.

[Edited at 2016-04-15 15:52 GMT]
Collapse

lumierre
lumierre
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
https://aatii.com/RO2EN174230 Apr 15, 2016

My name has been clearly used without my consent, with the specifications I made in my ProZ profile.

Adam Jarczyk wrote:

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

To AATII:

... you have ILLEGALLY appropriated my name and listed it as having signed up with your company. I NEVER JOINED YOUR OUTFIT AND I NEVER GAVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE MY NAME!!! Moreover, you have FABRICATED my rates and specialties. Colleagues of mine have also discovered your illegal and fraudulent use of their names and information. We are discussing what to do about it right now through our professional association.

I DEMAND that you remove my name and any trace of my presence from your website IMMEDIATELY! You have committed identity fraud and this is against the law.

I agree with the above and demand the same for my false representation there.

Adam Jarczyk

[Edited at 2016-04-15 10:15 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Baffling Apr 15, 2016

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

Even without contacting them or providing any of my contact information, I discovered my email is already in their database. I sent in a fake order for a translation, uploaded the file, put my name (copied from the fake profile(s) they created for me) in their ridiculous "Shopping Cart," and submitted my order. Lo and behold, I got an email notification urging me to respond quickly to the request at their website.

I find it a little weird that their "purchase system" would actually work and that they're really relaying those job offers to the very same translators whose identities they have appropriated without their consent, on top of that...

What were they hoping to gain from this?

Lucia Rolon
Lucia Rolon
Argentina
Local time: 01:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
How can we be removed from your database? Apr 15, 2016

I just found my name in your list, but I have NEVER sent you any information about my services so you're ILLEGALLY using that information. Please, let me know how to proceed on getting my details removed from this list.

AATII wrote:

Hi everyone,

We'd like to thank everyone for your interest in AATII and our contest. We are a young company who soft-launched a few months ago, and #IAmATranslator was created to announce our presence with a splash.

Regarding this contest, many companies leverage social media for user-generated content (UGC), including:

1. Marc Jacobs: #CastMeMarc
  2. Infiniti: #Q30Challenge
  3. Mint: #MintMyMoment

UGC social media contests are great. They get users (and partners) excited about products, services or platforms. More importantly, they create buzz and recognition for contest entrants.

As for why we would create this contest? Very simple. As stated, we're a young company, and we want to build conversation amongst translators. Giving a prize of USD$1,000 for eight champion translations is a great way to build goodwill—and we hope when the winners are announced that we accomplish our goal.

Regarding AATII itself, we want to be very clear. AATII is an early stage translation platform built so freelancers can negotiate and collaborate with their clients. We are also a continuous work in progress that earnestly believes the art of translation can do incredible things. This is why on Twitter and elsewhere we do our darnedest to promote incredible translators even if they have yet to use our platform.

This is an industry in which freelancers work very hard, and get very little recognition. One of our goals with this contest was to showcase superstar talent that would otherwise go unheralded.

Our deep pardons if there's been any confusion whatsoever about the intent of our contest. We hope this post resolves questions on the nature of its purpose.

EDIT: For further clarification, there's two entities known as AATII:

• Alliance of Applied Translators and Interpreters International: This is a commercial company that runs the platform, and is offering the contest.
  • Association of Applied Translators and Interpreters Internationa This is a registered non-profit devoted to translation advocacy and education. Its registered non-profit number is 907450-3.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 21:09 GMT]

Teresita Garcia Ruy Sanchez
Teresita Garcia Ruy Sanchez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
The list of names shrunk suddendly Apr 15, 2016

I was looking for my name and the list of English to Spanish translators shrunk from more than 3000 to 7 from one page to the next. And my name is not one of those 7, thank God.

I think it would be a good idea to keep monitoring the place.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AATII (no, not argentinian legit AATI)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »