Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 19:02
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Apr 14, 2010

Good Morning everybody,

I would like to know what is the difference between SDLX and SDL? An agency propose me to proofread a document already in SDLX format. And I have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. Is it compatible?
Thank you very much for your answers.

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's all the same, really Apr 14, 2010

Hi Sandrine,

SDL is the company that developed SDLX and later bought rival Trados. The new combined package they now sell (as of 2006) is called SDL Trados and contains both Trados and SDLX. You should be fine with this job.

Huub

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Select SDLX Apr 15, 2010

from the programs-menu. It's below the SDL Internation entry. Then you open Editor from the SDL tab that opens.
SDL*s newest product is Studio. It's SDLX with new features and discards the old Trados-inherited applications like Tageditor. Funny though most call it still Trados.

Regards
Heinrich

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDLX with a new name? Apr 15, 2010

Hi Heinrich,

I could not resist responding to this one. Sometimes I wish it was SDLX with a new name, then we would not have half the problems we do have trying to move SDLX users onto Studio. I would say the only thing that is similar is the side by side translation environment and no add-in for Word. After that all the features are either completely new, or a mix of something for ex-Trados users and ex-SDLX users alike.

Many SDLX users tell me it's just Synergy wit
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

I could not resist responding to this one. Sometimes I wish it was SDLX with a new name, then we would not have half the problems we do have trying to move SDLX users onto Studio. I would say the only thing that is similar is the side by side translation environment and no add-in for Word. After that all the features are either completely new, or a mix of something for ex-Trados users and ex-SDLX users alike.

Many SDLX users tell me it's just Synergy with a new hat. A similarly poor comparison. Many hardened SDLX users seem to prefer their version of the side by side environment anyway so I'm not even sure that this is really similar other than it's two columns.

The product architects and the product manager are mostly ex Trados themselves, so I imagine they would find this all a little amusing. Perhaps calling it SDL Trados Studio is the best way to describe it because it is neither SDLX nor Trados but rather a mix of the two in a single application.

One final comment for Sandrine just to keep this on track, if you are using SDL Trados Studio you can of course open an SDLX *.itd file, translate it and save the result as an *.itd file, in the same way as you can open a Trados *.ttx file, translate it and save the result as an *.ttx file. However, if you have been asked to proofread it in SDLX then this is possibly because they would like to ensure they have an *.itd back with your changes so they can use a feature in SDLX called SDLX Compare that we don't have in Studio yet. This will allow them to compare the original *.itd with your edited version and highlight the differences.

However, they can still do this even if you used Studio to complete the translation or make changes during a proofread, so perhaps the best thing would be to ask them why, if you feel more comfortable editing in Studio rather than in SDLX.

Kind regards

Paul
Collapse

Sandrine Zérouali
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL 2007 Freelance Apr 15, 2010

Good morning Paul,

I have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and not Studio.
I opened the .itd file in my Trados. The presentation is quite different as my version.
By the way, they sent to me a TM which I tried to open, but required a password. I change it for new user and now I can't open the TM. How can I do to have back the message wich ask the user name and password?

Thank you.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Is it still open? Apr 15, 2010

Hi Sandrine,

I'm not sure I understand your question here. I assume you opened this in SDLX and not SDL Trados 2007, and then I guess you opened the TM, entered your username and password. When you did this the TM is probably open already. So if you close it and try to open it again you will be prompted for the password again.

Can you elaborate a little on what you did?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do.... See more
Hi Sandrine,

I'm not sure I understand your question here. I assume you opened this in SDLX and not SDL Trados 2007, and then I guess you opened the TM, entered your username and password. When you did this the TM is probably open already. So if you close it and try to open it again you will be prompted for the password again.

Can you elaborate a little on what you did?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Sandrine Zérouali
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM open Apr 15, 2010

Paul,

I opened the file .itd document. Then I clicked on "open". The 1st time, it asked me about the password of the username, but I haven't so I entered by using a newusername. And now the message doesn't appear. But I notice that on the top to the left (near the bottom"open" is the name of the TM.
Does it mean that the TM is open , working, and saving changes?

Sorry but I didn't work with a different version from mine!

Thank you in advance for your
... See more
Paul,

I opened the file .itd document. Then I clicked on "open". The 1st time, it asked me about the password of the username, but I haven't so I entered by using a newusername. And now the message doesn't appear. But I notice that on the top to the left (near the bottom"open" is the name of the TM.
Does it mean that the TM is open , working, and saving changes?

Sorry but I didn't work with a different version from mine!

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Collapse

Luis Fernando Carvalho
Luis Fernando Carvalho  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you, Huub Sep 4, 2015

Thank you for explaining to us, Huub! It helped me too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between SDL and SDLX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »