Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados 2007 and the final Office 2010: working fine...
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 12:41
English to Portuguese
Apr 23, 2010

Hello

I have just installed the final version of Office 2010 (I have a MS Technet subscription) and tested Word 2010 with Trados Suite Freelance 2007 (Build 863), and it works perfectly: fuzzy match, concordance etc.

Perhaps this is useful info for people (like me) that has to deliver files in legacy bilingual formats and is afraid of installing the new 2010 package over Office 2007 and 2003.

This is no thorough test at all, just an early adopter info: the
... See more
Hello

I have just installed the final version of Office 2010 (I have a MS Technet subscription) and tested Word 2010 with Trados Suite Freelance 2007 (Build 863), and it works perfectly: fuzzy match, concordance etc.

Perhaps this is useful info for people (like me) that has to deliver files in legacy bilingual formats and is afraid of installing the new 2010 package over Office 2007 and 2003.

This is no thorough test at all, just an early adopter info: the thing works...

Cheers

Edric
Collapse

Vladimir Bragilevsky
Vladimir Bragilevsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Operating system Apr 23, 2010

And what operating system do you use?

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 64-bit... Apr 23, 2010

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but I installed the 32-bit version of Office 2010 to keep the compatibility with legacy applications.

By the way, this is important: the 64-bit version of Office 2010 should not work with 32-bit programs, like Trados.

Edric

Vladimir Bragilevsky
Vladimir Bragilevsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Apr 23, 2010

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:
By the way, this is important: the 64-bit version of Office 2010 should not work with 32-bit programs, like Trados.

Thank you, Edric, this is quite interesting information.

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:41
Danish to English
+ ...
But how do you get Trados to link into Word 2010 May 10, 2010

Hi

I am using Freelance 2007 (863) with MS Word 2010 beta, which also works very well, but the only way I have found of using Trados is to open Word using the Trados8.dotm macro from my desktop (because that it where the macro file is) - then I have to cut and paste text into the empty file to work, which is not practical.

I cannot fint the macros in Word 2010...

Ideas please.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
DOCX, XLSX and PPTX files saved as MSOffice 2007 files May 10, 2010

Hello,

AFAIK in case of troubles, this is the only workable solution so far - both for Suite & Studio

Giuliana

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Keep Word 2007... May 10, 2010

Hi Hugh

I have a MS Technet subscription (latest and greatest things from Microsoft), and I strongly advise you to keep Word 2007. Office 2010 allows you to keep both, just install Office 2007 AND Office 2010, go to Start>Microsoft Office and select Word 2007. The program will keep 2010 "inactive" and will put all things 2007 (Word, PP etc.) on as the default.

Don't struggle with Word 2010. SDL supports Office 2007, not 2010, and there is no reason for them to support t
... See more
Hi Hugh

I have a MS Technet subscription (latest and greatest things from Microsoft), and I strongly advise you to keep Word 2007. Office 2010 allows you to keep both, just install Office 2007 AND Office 2010, go to Start>Microsoft Office and select Word 2007. The program will keep 2010 "inactive" and will put all things 2007 (Word, PP etc.) on as the default.

Don't struggle with Word 2010. SDL supports Office 2007, not 2010, and there is no reason for them to support the latest version of an interface they were eager to get rid of, since Studio definitely does not need it at all!

Besides, if you are using the Word interface, you are probably sending jobs (like me) for clients that use Word 2007 (or even earlier versions...), so it is not good to risk compatibility problems, IMHO.

Kind regards

Edric
Collapse

Paula Tizzano Fernández
Paula Tizzano Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't get it. Trados 2007 and Word 2010, does it work or doesn't it? Jul 10, 2010

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Hello

Hi, Edric!

There is something I don't get here.
You say that "it works perfectly".

But then, a few replies below, another colleague says he can't find the macro trados8.dotm inside the program folders, and he needs to start the program in an awkward way.

And you comment that he should cling to Word 2007.

But if you are using Trados 2007 with Word 2010 and you say it is working perfectly, how do you do then?

Sorry if my question seems too basic, but I want to make this clear for my own installation needs.
Thank you!

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Mileage varies... Jul 10, 2010

Hi Paula

This topic is rather "old news", since I am now using Trados 2007 with Office 2010, having discarded Office 2007 for good when working with legacy files. The recommendation to stay with Office 2007 was based on the fact that 2010 was still a beta at the time...

But I would like to point out that "works perfectly" for me doesn't mean that it works perfectly for everyone, since systems differ...... See more
Hi Paula

This topic is rather "old news", since I am now using Trados 2007 with Office 2010, having discarded Office 2007 for good when working with legacy files. The recommendation to stay with Office 2007 was based on the fact that 2010 was still a beta at the time...

But I would like to point out that "works perfectly" for me doesn't mean that it works perfectly for everyone, since systems differ...

Specifically on that problem of Word macro files not being put in the correct folder, the user should check his/her Office installation, since that has never happened to me, both with Office 2007 AND Office 2010...

Kind regards

Edric

[Edited at 2010-07-10 18:10 GMT]
Collapse

Paula Tizzano Fernández
Paula Tizzano Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 2007 + Word 2010 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits: Perfectly okay! Jul 12, 2010

Thanks, Edric.
After spending much of the long week end testing, trial and error method, well, in a Windows 7 64 bits system, Trados 2007 is working very well combined with Word 2010. The trados8.dotm template is installed in the user/appdata/roaming/microsoft/word/startup folder, as I see. I have activated it in the Word 2010 Options (add-ons-- templates menu), and all the functionalities are working properly.
The problem is Multiterm (I am testing Multiterm 2009, don't have Multite
... See more
Thanks, Edric.
After spending much of the long week end testing, trial and error method, well, in a Windows 7 64 bits system, Trados 2007 is working very well combined with Word 2010. The trados8.dotm template is installed in the user/appdata/roaming/microsoft/word/startup folder, as I see. I have activated it in the Word 2010 Options (add-ons-- templates menu), and all the functionalities are working properly.
The problem is Multiterm (I am testing Multiterm 2009, don't have Multiterm 2007 installed in this machine):
I have tried several variants of the Multiterm template:
multiterm7.dot
multiterm7.dotm
multiterm8.dot
multiterm8.dotm

and I get this message about an AutoExec hidden module compilation error.
Sometimes, the whole program gets stuck. Sometmes, I can close the error message and continue with the program, and of course no Multiterm tab appears in the ribbon (I do have the Trados tab in the ribbon).

I am not a Visual Basic editor, so I'd rather not fiddle with the macro structures in VBE.

Has anyone been able to have Multiterm work in Word 2010?

I have just had a thought... I have installed Office 2010 from the scratch after formatting the hard disk, but I don't have Office 2007 in this computer. I wonder... If I uninstall office 2010, then install Office 2007 first, and then install Office 2010 again while keeping 2007 version at the same time, perhaps I would be able to run the multiterm8.dot template?

Aughhhhhhhh Sighhhhhhhh and every variant of ghhhhhhhhh.
I try this because everybody has been so helpful and friendly here, and it's much easier to learn from people who could solve the same situations before. Thanks to everyone here who have answered my stupid questions.

Maybe I should call it a day and start afresh tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Never used MTerm on Word... Jul 12, 2010

Hi Paula

I am sorry but I never used MTerm with Word: always had it inside Workbench or Studio, thus I can be of no help...

Good luck

Edric

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Just disable the Multiterm8.dot template in Word Jul 12, 2010

Hi Paula,

I have just been faced with the same problem very recently. If you disable the Multiterm8.dot template in Word (uncheck the box - which solves the problem), it only means that you cannot use Multiterm directly in Word, however Multiterm still works in connection with Studio (and presumably also Workbench). That is, you can still have term recognition, and you can also still use Multiterm on its own.

Astrid

Florence Lesur
Florence Lesur  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Workbench won't clean the bilingual file Jul 12, 2010

Hi Paula,

Thanks for solving part of my problem.

Paula Tizzano Fernández wrote:

I installed Word 2010 and Trados 2007 on Windows 7 64-bits too, and thanks to your post I could copy the trados8.dotm template in the right folder.

Translating goes fine and the file gets saved properly.

However, when I try to clean a bilingual file, I get an error message and Workbench closes when I hit the "Clean" button. Does anybody know what I can do?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Florence

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Just run the "cleaning" macro inside Word... Jul 12, 2010

Hi Florence

Do this: In Word, go to Macro > Show Macros > tw4winClean.Main > Run

The doc is cleaned immediately.

OTOH, if I were you, I'd do the "uninstall Trados/uninstall Office/reinstall Office/update Office/reinstall Trados" routine, since your installation is obviously not good, for some reason.

Rgds

Edric

Florence Lesur
Florence Lesur  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Trying Edric's suggestion Jul 13, 2010

Hi Edric,

As a matter of fact, I installed Trados before Word, so that may explain the problem.
I'll do just what you suggested and see if that fixes it.

Thanx,

Florence

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and the final Office 2010: working fine...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »