Avoiding duplicate entries during Multiterm (2009) import to an existing database
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:14
German to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2010

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been dealt with before - I wasn't able to find it here in the forum. My problem is the following, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

I have Multiterm databases which have been created from customer wording lists and I often add entries to these for useful or commonly used terms. However, when the customer sends an updated list, I seem to be unable to import this without ending up with duplicates of all the existing entries
... See more
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been dealt with before - I wasn't able to find it here in the forum. My problem is the following, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

I have Multiterm databases which have been created from customer wording lists and I often add entries to these for useful or commonly used terms. However, when the customer sends an updated list, I seem to be unable to import this without ending up with duplicates of all the existing entries. I know that one solution would be to replace the whole database everytime, but then I would lose my own customer-relevant entries.

In an older post I saw that in a previous version of Multiterm there was an option to “Synchronise entries on index term” which would exclude already existing entries during an import. But this option does not seem to be available on my current version and I am not competent enough to create my own filters, unfortunately.

Can anyone help?
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duplicate entries May 3, 2010

Am I the only one having this problem?

Caroline Charlier
Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
same problem Jun 25, 2010

Hello,
Have you found the solution? I'd be greatly interested!.
Tanks,
Caroline

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
Maybe these steps help? Jul 1, 2010

Hi

I created a document with steps that worked for me. You can download it from here:
http://www.easy-share.com/1911176467/MTimport.docx

You always need to be sure that the XML for import you receive fits to your termbase definition. If not it can be a problem and no entries or wrong information will be imported.

Cheers

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good Jul 14, 2010

Thanks for the tip. Your solution looks good - I look forward to trying it!

Chablais
Chablais
follow-up to the problem of duplicate imports Jun 15, 2011

I also thought I had lost the "overwrite" option forever, so frustrating! This happens in Multiterm 2009 both in WindowsXP and Windows7. I finally discovered a workaround to import entries without duplicating them.

Let's suppose yo have a termbase and in which several entries pertaining to the area "Architecture" are wrong. You decide to export those entries using a filter, modify them through manipulation of the xml file and reimport them into the database.

For this pu
... See more
I also thought I had lost the "overwrite" option forever, so frustrating! This happens in Multiterm 2009 both in WindowsXP and Windows7. I finally discovered a workaround to import entries without duplicating them.

Let's suppose yo have a termbase and in which several entries pertaining to the area "Architecture" are wrong. You decide to export those entries using a filter, modify them through manipulation of the xml file and reimport them into the database.

For this purpose, create a new import definition from scratch: on the left panel of MT (not the right panel!), right-click on Catalog categories ->Import, Create...). In the first screen of the wizard, uncheck "Save import settings before closing the wizard" and check "Run import before closing the wizard". Contrary to the impression the wizard may give, it's better not to try saving the definition for later use, because all the settings will be lost and you will import duplicates (this has to be a bug in MT, I can't see no other explanation).

In step 2 of the Import wizard, apply a filter to restrict the entries that are to be modified only to the area "Architecture".

In step 3, "Import entry matches filter", choose "Synchronize entries on index term", and for "Import entry does not match filter" -> "Omit import entry".

In step 6 I select "Index" -> "English" or whatever your main language is;
"Index term does not exist" -> "Add import entry as new";
"Termbase entry matches filter" -> "Overwrite existing entry with import entry";
"Termbase entry does not match filter" -> "Omit import entry"

In step 7 verify that the summary contains the following import option: "Import entry matches filter: Synchronize entries on index term", otherwise entries will be duplicated. Click on Next and proceed to the import.

If after importing your entries appear twice in the hitlist, reorganize the termbase.
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Separate customer entries and your entries in 2 termbases Jun 16, 2011

Hello everybody,

Because importing entries in an existing database could be problematic, for example
- when the concept number has changed,
- when terms have been deleted,
- when terms to import have the same concept number as terms you entered yourself,
- and so on...
i.e. to avoid every kind of synchronisation problem, I always erase the old termbase and import the customer export file in a new termbase.

The best way to keep your own
... See more
Hello everybody,

Because importing entries in an existing database could be problematic, for example
- when the concept number has changed,
- when terms have been deleted,
- when terms to import have the same concept number as terms you entered yourself,
- and so on...
i.e. to avoid every kind of synchronisation problem, I always erase the old termbase and import the customer export file in a new termbase.

The best way to keep your own entries safe is to ... create a separate termbase. Trados (2007 and 2009) can work with many termbase: just use this opportunity.

If you already enter your own entries in a customer database,
1. find the concept number of the first entry you added,
2. create a filter (concept number bigger than...) to export your own data and
3. import them in a new empty termbase.

Sébastien

[Bearbeitet am 2011-06-16 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Hamid Aydin
Hamid Aydin  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:14
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
A valid solution? Jul 10, 2012

Hi all,

Does anybody have any valid solution for the problem that Nick mentioned in 2010?

I have the same issue. I have a large TB with entries I added during the time, and now my customer sends an updated Terminology which I suppose to add to the current termbase.

I use Studio 2009 with Multiterm 2009.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jan Kruse
Jan Kruse  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Delete double entries in MultiTerm 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Hi all,

Does anybody have any valid solution for the problem that Nick mentioned in 2010 and Hamid in 2012?

I have the same issue. Is there still no way to delete double entries in a termbase? Shouldn´t this be a basic function of reorganization? Did I just overlook sth.?

I use Studio 2014 SP 2 with Multiterm 2014.

Thanks for your help in advance,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoiding duplicate entries during Multiterm (2009) import to an existing database

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »