Thread poster: Uta Kappler
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:00
English
A few thoughts... Mar 7, 2014

Hi,

I would say the first thing to do is check that you have "Always add new translation to the translation memory" unchecked, otherwise it will write them as a new TU and won't overwrite the one in the memory.

Then make sure that you have not made the change in the global settings and then expect this to work in an existing Project. If you have an existing Project you must make the change in the Project Settings as only newly created Projects will adopt changes made i
... See more
Hi,

I would say the first thing to do is check that you have "Always add new translation to the translation memory" unchecked, otherwise it will write them as a new TU and won't overwrite the one in the memory.

Then make sure that you have not made the change in the global settings and then expect this to work in an existing Project. If you have an existing Project you must make the change in the Project Settings as only newly created Projects will adopt changes made in the Global settings.

Another thing to check is that the status of the updated segments is also checked as a status to be updated. I think the draft status is unchecked by default so if changes are made and left as draft status then running an update will ignore them. This is in the same place under "Translation Memory Updates" and the same rule applies for you to check Global settings versus Project settings.

Of course you should also check the really obvious setting that the TM itself is set to update when you add it... but I assume this is activated.

If after all of this you still encounter a problem you could try importing the SDLXLIFF instead. It’ll be faster than exporting a TM and then importing again. Just make sure you check Draft Status (if appropriate, as before) and also check "Overwrite existing translation units" in the import options as you go through the import wizard.

I can reproduce this problem myself and I will update this post when I have more information to share. In the meantime hopefully something in here will be helpful. Certainly importing the sdlxliff works every time.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Any news? Jul 30, 2014

Any news on this? I have the same problem. SDL Support's last post didn't help.

SALT Group
SALT Group
English to Arabic
+ ...
In SDL Trados Studio, multiple translations are always enabled!!! Sep 1, 2014

I found this article. It seems they did it on purpose!! I couldn't figure out why????

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3149.html

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
Very, very counterproductive Sep 2, 2014

This is incredibly annoying. Is there any way I can remove the old TUs which are just in the way from my TM? I get a lot of 99% matches because of this bullsh1t, and they're not even prioritized by which one's newer, so I have often have to check several TUs manually.
Dear SDL, could you stop with this nonsense?

Let me guess, the person responsible for this idiocy is the same one who thought that enforcing language variants on TMs is a good idea?

[Edited at 2014-09-02 0
... See more
This is incredibly annoying. Is there any way I can remove the old TUs which are just in the way from my TM? I get a lot of 99% matches because of this bullsh1t, and they're not even prioritized by which one's newer, so I have often have to check several TUs manually.

Let me guess, the person responsible for this idiocy is the same one who thought that enforcing language variants on TMs is a good idea?

[Edited at 2014-09-02 03:17 GMT]
Collapse

Karl Mortensen
Karl Mortensen
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2014 - TM segments not updated, but added Oct 3, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

[Edited at 2014-09-02 03:17 GMT]

Yes, I also wonder, why by default this function is not deactivated. It is almost impossible to work together with other translators, where you exchange TM's every day or hour. It slows your work extremely, that you haven't got 100 % matches to work with, because a lot of identical source text segments have different translations. When will SDL solve this problem ?

André Jodoin
André Jodoin
Canada
Local time: 19:00
English to French
Same problem here, on Studio 2014 SP1 Nov 14, 2014

Hi everyone, any news or solution about this?

Even if I've NEVER checked "Add New Translation" under "Update TM" Batch Tasks settings, I still have multiple duplicates in my TMs.

From what I understand, my only option would be to stop using "Finalize" and "Update TM" batch tasks, and rather use the only safe method I know, even if it takes more time: Open the TM and import the final SDLXLIFF file, while checking "Overwrite existing TUs".

Any other ideas?... See more
Hi everyone, any news or solution about this?

Even if I've NEVER checked "Add New Translation" under "Update TM" Batch Tasks settings, I still have multiple duplicates in my TMs.

From what I understand, my only option would be to stop using "Finalize" and "Update TM" batch tasks, and rather use the only safe method I know, even if it takes more time: Open the TM and import the final SDLXLIFF file, while checking "Overwrite existing TUs".

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:00
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TM features need to be improved Dec 10, 2014

Please solve this TU duplication issue. I had to import the sdlxliff into the TM in order to remove duplicates. Nothing else worked - indeed, this works for sure.

The poor recognition algorithm for the TM look-up needs to be improved as well. I get high matching scores for short sentences based on meaningless words such as "and" and "if" spread in the sentence and no matching results for a sequence of 5 to 8 defining consecutive key words (i.e. phrases) within a larger sentence. Thi
... See more
Please solve this TU duplication issue. I had to import the sdlxliff into the TM in order to remove duplicates. Nothing else worked - indeed, this works for sure.

The poor recognition algorithm for the TM look-up needs to be improved as well. I get high matching scores for short sentences based on meaningless words such as "and" and "if" spread in the sentence and no matching results for a sequence of 5 to 8 defining consecutive key words (i.e. phrases) within a larger sentence. This is very annoying and comes across as a Kindergarten TM. It needs to be "more intelligent" than that.
Collapse

David Terhart
David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Still not solved? Apr 8, 2015

Hi Paul / SDL,

I still have this issue here, working with a Server TM. Updating a TU produces a new TU, so I have two or more 99% matches in the Server TM.

I have checked:
- "Always add new translation to the translation memory" is unchecked both in the main and the project settings.
- I confirm all segments manually (Ctrl+Enter), so no drafts here.
- I can not import the SDLXLIFF file because it's not my Server TM.

All this happened after
... See more
Hi Paul / SDL,

I still have this issue here, working with a Server TM. Updating a TU produces a new TU, so I have two or more 99% matches in the Server TM.

I have checked:
- "Always add new translation to the translation memory" is unchecked both in the main and the project settings.
- I confirm all segments manually (Ctrl+Enter), so no drafts here.
- I can not import the SDLXLIFF file because it's not my Server TM.

All this happened after I had run the "update main TM" batch task and then make changes to these TUs, and also with new TUs I add manually and then try to change!

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

SDL Community wrote:

I can reproduce this problem myself and I will update this post when I have more information to share. In the meantime hopefully something in here will be helpful. Certainly importing the sdlxliff works every time.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

David Terhart
David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Solved with Studio 2014 SP2 latest update Apr 8, 2015

I had just recently bought Studio 2014, but not installed yet, and a colleague mentioned that 2014 could solve the problem. So I just installed it right now, and the problem no longer persists! For who is interested:
The problem was present in Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.4.3056.0
The problem was solved in Studio 2014 SP2 - 11.2.4378.9

Emily Diamandopoulou
Emily Diamandopoulou
Greece
Local time: 02:00
Member (2006)
Greek to English
+ ...
Temporary solution Jun 1, 2015

Hi, has anyone actually found a solution to this?
I'm working with Trados Studio 2014. The way I've found to get round the problem (temporarily) is to export the TUs to a tmx and re-import clicking the option Keep most recent units in the TM import panel.

Suzanne Raeli
Suzanne Raeli
Switzerland
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Problem still there for Trados 2015 Apr 28, 2016

I have Trados 2015 installed with all updates, it still duplicates TM entries if I go back and make the slightest change.

all boxes are ticked as outlined above...

will this never end?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TM segments not updated: the problem is still there in 2017 Oct 3, 2017

I cannot see any way out, except just ditching Trados and moving to another CAT.

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
2018 and counting Mar 13, 2018

HI,

despite colleagues mentioning the problem is/was solved, I have it right now and that is why I ended up reading this thread.

just to make sure I am not missing something here, where exactly the option "Always add new translation.." in Project Settings is supposed to be? Could someone share a precise walkthrough pointing out the path for adjusting settings?
I have Trados 2014 (not starter).

I am going crazy with repeated 100%/ICE matches in TM sinc
... See more
HI,

despite colleagues mentioning the problem is/was solved, I have it right now and that is why I ended up reading this thread.

just to make sure I am not missing something here, where exactly the option "Always add new translation.." in Project Settings is supposed to be? Could someone share a precise walkthrough pointing out the path for adjusting settings?
I have Trados 2014 (not starter).

I am going crazy with repeated 100%/ICE matches in TM since I am in the role of final editor and over 26,000 K and dozens of file I cant possibly be sure anymore what was the slightest improvement I did in comparison with previous version when encountering the same segment 10 files ahead.

Best,
Soraya Hoepfner
Collapse

Uta Kappler
Uta Kappler
United States
Local time: 17:00
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check Translation Memory Update Settings Mar 13, 2018

Hi,

I do not have a SDL Trados 2014 version anymore, but 2017 instead, so I cannot give you a walk-through, but the setting to fix this will be in a similar location.

Please check your Translation Memory Update Settings, you should find similar settings there.

Here is a link to the Help Topic for 2017 explaining the different setting for TM updating:
... See more
Hi,

I do not have a SDL Trados 2014 version anymore, but 2017 instead, so I cannot give you a walk-through, but the setting to fix this will be in a similar location.

Please check your Translation Memory Update Settings, you should find similar settings there.

Here is a link to the Help Topic for 2017 explaining the different setting for TM updating:

https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Help-v4/GUID-7FFA2DD3-7CDE-4106-AE7E-4D25C2D67943

And here is a link to an older SDL Trados version (2014?) help topic dealing with the same settings under line item 3.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Edit_View/TMs/EVTranslationMemoryActionsUpdate_the_TMwith_New_Translations.htm

Hope this helps

Kind regards,
Uta
Collapse

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
the issue explained Mar 14, 2018

[quote]Uta Kappler wrote:

Hi Uta, thank you.
my problem is that I am working with .xliff bilingual files that were already translated, I am supposed to review them.

I have a TM set to NOT add new translation units, but replace existing.

Every time a new bilingual file and set to use that TM, the file opens with all segments in status 'translated', but they are immediately shown as being incorporated to that TM and appear as additional to the same segments existing in that TM.

So something happens when I open the file that automatically transfers all its segments to the TM.

To give a clear example, in case I am not making myself understood.

I work in file 1, which has the segment "Drink coffee". I edit to "Drink more coffe". Save. close. TM has "Drink more coffe".

Now I go to file 2, which has the same segment. When I open the file, same TM now shows "Drink Coffee' (1st place). "Drink more coffe" (2nd place).

To me, the logical and usual behavior would be that Trados immediately points out a mismatch that shows me, in the segment the translation differs from TM (the usual orange blinking alert).

I cannot figure out WHY by simply opening a new file, all its segments are transferred to the TM.

I have tried to manage the TM settings but with no success. Everytime I have to rely on my memory and scroll down the TM window to see if in the previous file I have used that or that editing.

For now, my work is like shit and I already know I am providing different solutions with slightly changes here and there.

- IF I could make the .xliff file to be open either with segments all as DRAFT or simply by not being automatically added to TM, then the mismatch would be shown. Instead, so far I have cases of 4 translations to the same segment. And I have dozens of small files to go...

Sorry for the long explanation, but maybe that helps somebody to help me

Best,

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 - TM segments not updated, but added

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »