Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Studio error message: Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection
Thread poster: Daniel Weston
Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann
Loreta Alechnaviciute Hoffmann  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:20
Member (2007)
German to Lithuanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is a general problem with Studio Oct 4, 2011

I'm very sad to agree with Keith. Trados is getting worser in terms of bugs. I like Studio very much. It is very convenient and perfect,_WHEN_it works perfectly, but if anything is wrong, it is not possible to find something out - all dates are too much 'zipped' and 'packed' - no idea, where to look after the reason of issue.
I get the same error with word documents (v2003 and v2007, in the package from client and after creating a project myself). The error occures not by saving the targe
... See more
I'm very sad to agree with Keith. Trados is getting worser in terms of bugs. I like Studio very much. It is very convenient and perfect,_WHEN_it works perfectly, but if anything is wrong, it is not possible to find something out - all dates are too much 'zipped' and 'packed' - no idea, where to look after the reason of issue.
I get the same error with word documents (v2003 and v2007, in the package from client and after creating a project myself). The error occures not by saving the target, but -if I get this error- the TM seems not to work, neither concordance search nor saving into the TM. Trados professionals couldn't answer me what the problem, even after investigating of the package. But they have the same problem.
Collapse

Mansur Kabirov
Mansur Kabirov
Local time: 02:20
Tajik to English
+ ...
An option Feb 3, 2012

What I did to fix this problem was I opened the file in EXCEL and copied the contents to a new file. Then, I opened the worksheet in Studio and used the TMs I just generated when I initially translated. Then all you do is "save the target...".

Hope it helps...

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
No elegant solution Aug 28, 2012

It happened to me as well, always with excel files. I use Studio 2009.

The first time I was able to solve it, the excel sheet contained some Autoshapes with text inside and some tags appeared also in Studio. The only way to solve it was inserting those specific source segments to target. Fortunately, they were only a few and I could translate them with no significant impact after I finalized and exported.
The second time, it was with a BIG excel sheet, which I found out I coul
... See more
It happened to me as well, always with excel files. I use Studio 2009.

The first time I was able to solve it, the excel sheet contained some Autoshapes with text inside and some tags appeared also in Studio. The only way to solve it was inserting those specific source segments to target. Fortunately, they were only a few and I could translate them with no significant impact after I finalized and exported.
The second time, it was with a BIG excel sheet, which I found out I couldn't clear when I had already finished. There was nothing I could do then. I had to go over it again by hand.

Third time was just today. Fortunately I realized just when I was starting.

Then I read this post. Just for the sake of trying if it worked (the damage was aleady done), I tried with Options/Tools.... and enabled all the optional content. Nothing.

I followed Mansur's suggestion and pasted the content into a new file. The pasting format was a bit distorted and I managed to recreate it the same way it was in the original. It worked finally and I was able to export it. BUT I ALREADY HAD TRANSLATED IT BY HAND.

It's a crying shame that TRADOS is putting so little effort in solving such silly bugs just like this. It is way too expensive to afford this type of "slips of the mind". My co-workers tease me all the time for being the "TRADOS trouble-shooter" in the group, since I have jumped through hoops to solve many whimsical bugs that Studio causes so often, but this time I've really had enough of this software. I confess that I was once "deeply in love" with TRados, but now I'm seriously considering to migrate to another type of CAT Tool, as soon as I manage to get rid of the "customer lock-in" that SDL has exerted on me.
This degree of unreliability is really annoying and furthermore unacceptable.
On the other hand, it's unbelievable that SDL, having created such a revolutionary tool with so many utilities and applications, let their product cause such an outrage on their users.
Over-confident? You're losing believers by the hour, and judging by the big bunch of posts on Studio 2011 support, it seems that the new version is no better than the previous ones.
Collapse

Hope Farmer
Hope Farmer
Spain
Local time: 23:20
German to English
+ ...
Existing project - added a second TM caused this error Oct 18, 2012

I added a second TM part-way through a translation (this should be possible, it´s supposedly a feature that you can use more than one TM). I kept getting this error when I moved my cursor into a new segment and couldn't continue.

I removed the new TM, exported the segments to a TMX file and imported them into my previously existing/in-use TM (with different field values to distinguish it) and the problem was solved.
Apparently this came from having identical segments with id
... See more
I added a second TM part-way through a translation (this should be possible, it´s supposedly a feature that you can use more than one TM). I kept getting this error when I moved my cursor into a new segment and couldn't continue.

I removed the new TM, exported the segments to a TMX file and imported them into my previously existing/in-use TM (with different field values to distinguish it) and the problem was solved.
Apparently this came from having identical segments with identical indices in different TMs... Not sure, but that´s what it looked like.

I have to agree with other posters here, for the price of Studio, the product is quite buggy and the fact that you have to pay extra for support for a buggy product makes it unattractive. I am also looking at other products, and if a client doesn´t request Trados, I will try using something else to avoid this type of issue.

I just wanted to post this in case someone else gets it.

Regards,
Hope
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just to clarify something here. Oct 18, 2012

Hope Farmer wrote:

I have to agree with other posters here, for the price of Studio, the product is quite buggy and the fact that you have to pay extra for support for a buggy product makes it unattractive.

Hi,

If you do have a problem with Studio that is preventing you from working, as you did, then this is eligible for free support. We have the Solution Finder in the SDL Knowledgebase that allows you to generate a support case for things like this.

Regards

Paul

rogerB
rogerB  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Same error when trying to create a project package in Studio 2014 SP1 Jul 24, 2014

Hi all

Found this tread when searching for a solkution to my problem.

I get the same message when I try to create a project package in Studio 2014.

The original XLS File (Excel 97-2003) I got from the client and the new XLSX file I have created by copy pasting the text from the original both gives me the same error.

We are to translate the file into four languages, and the error shows up on the first language when Studio starts generating the p
... See more
Hi all

The original XLS File (Excel 97-2003) I got from the client and the new XLSX file I have created by copy pasting the text from the original both gives me the same error.

We are to translate the file into four languages, and the error shows up on the first language when Studio starts generating the package. The subsequent languages are then dropped.

I also hae created a test file with only one word in it (test), imported this in the project while deleting the other file, and this also gives me the error...
Collapse

rogerB
rogerB  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Fixed it - somewhat Jul 24, 2014

Managed to create project packages when I excluded the TMs we have from the project. Now I just have to send the TMs separate an ask the translators to attach them separately.

Vận Già
Vận Già
Vietnam
It's same my step. ^.^ May 7, 2015

rogerB wrote:

Hi all

We are to translate the file into four languages, and the error shows up on the first language when Studio starts generating the package. The subsequent languages are then dropped.

I also hae created a test file with only one word in it (test), imported this in the project while deleting the other file, and this also gives me the error...

It's same my step. ^.^

MKramer
MKramer
United States
Local time: 16:20
Possible solution Nov 6, 2015

We have seen this error with Excel files. Sometimes it's the Individual 'Sheet' names in Excel that cause some errors. If you can find the names of the sheets/tabs and change that back to the source language, see if that works. It has helped us SOMEtimes.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio error message: Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »