Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio error message: Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection
Thread poster: Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2010

Recently I had to translate a workbook with several worksheets in it. It was an Excel 97-2003 file. I used Studio and after translating nearly 4000 words, when I went to save the file back into its original format I got the following error message:

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"

As the deadline was upon me, I exported the TM and used Tag-editor in 2007 Suite. I would like to figure out w
... See more
Recently I had to translate a workbook with several worksheets in it. It was an Excel 97-2003 file. I used Studio and after translating nearly 4000 words, when I went to save the file back into its original format I got the following error message:

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"

As the deadline was upon me, I exported the TM and used Tag-editor in 2007 Suite. I would like to figure out what the issue is with my Studio version. It was very distressing and I almost missed the deadline having to take this circuitous route. Does anyone know? I've seen this error message discussed in the forum for other problems, but not this particular one.

I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit and I have the most recent Studio updates.

Thanks

Daniel
Collapse

Daniel Weston
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No one from SDL is looking at these questions? Jun 11, 2010

I was really hoping someone knew the answer to this question - I thought SDL watches these forums and might chime in. I guess not? Please, if any one has any idea what the issue is, I would be really greatful...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:56
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL guys are watching this forum Jun 11, 2010

Hi Daniel,
the guys at SDL are watching this forum. AFAIK, Paul, the most active of them, is out of office for a few days. I'm pretty sure he'll take a look at your question once he's back again.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support Update: SDL guys are watching this forum Jun 11, 2010

Hi Daniel

Without having a look at the files it is impossible to see what is causing the error, however, I suspect this could be related to either hidden worksheets or rows\columns in the excel file as we have come across a similar issue before. Below is a few things you can try:

1. Open the Excel file in Studio and then without translating the file try saving the target file, ie, File Save Target as... and see if this works.

- If it works I suspect the
... See more
Hi Daniel

Without having a look at the files it is impossible to see what is causing the error, however, I suspect this could be related to either hidden worksheets or rows\columns in the excel file as we have come across a similar issue before. Below is a few things you can try:

1. Open the Excel file in Studio and then without translating the file try saving the target file, ie, File Save Target as... and see if this works.

- If it works I suspect there is an issue with the actual translation in the SDLXLIFF file.

- If the file fails to save to target then this could point to either an issue with the Excel or as I mentioned earlier a problem with hidden worksheets or rows\columns in the excel file.

So the next thing would be to:

2. In studio goto:

- Tools\Options
- Click on the + next to 'File Types'
- Click on the + next to 'Microsoft Excel 2000-2003'
- Select the node 'Optional Content' and make sure the option: 'Hidden content (columns, rows, sheets) is selected
- Now Import your file into Studio
- Once the file is open try Saving the target again

- If it works then this would be your workaround, however, we would need the file so we can investigate further.

- If it fails to save the target excel file, again we would need the file so we can investigate further.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Fasil Aziz

SDL Trados Support
Collapse

Erik Hansson

Daniel Weston
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Jun 11, 2010

Thank you Stanislav for replying and thank you Fasil for your suggested remedy. However, it still did not work! I'm not sure how to proceed from here...

[Edited at 2010-06-11 19:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-12 07:35 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Send us the file Jun 12, 2010

Hi Daniel,

The next step would be for us to have the files. If you send the sdlxliff and the excel source file to me at [email protected] then we can take a look for you.

Regards

Paul

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:56
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
worked but quite inconvenient Jul 9, 2010

I had the same problem. I will send the file. Second workaround kind of worked. But it is very inconvenient as hidden rows and columns are not to be translated.

My personal solution was

to translate while 'show hidden' unclicked
reimport emty file
auto translate with context matches and export (with hidden empty segments)

I am sending the sample file

Thank you

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 31, 2010

I'll need to contact the customer as I don't actually have the source file – I was only given the project package.

My error message on trying to use "File / Save Source As..." was:

"Failed to save source content: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"

Needless to say, the target file will of course not generate either, so we now have a situation where TRADOS has imported a file it cann
... See more
I'll need to contact the customer as I don't actually have the source file – I was only given the project package.

My error message on trying to use "File / Save Source As..." was:

"Failed to save source content: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"

Needless to say, the target file will of course not generate either, so we now have a situation where TRADOS has imported a file it cannot then re-generate. While I have met this problem with other, older CAT tools, I was expecting a modern CAT tool to avoid this kind of basic error.

Couple of extra feedback notes to SDL:

1. May I also suggest that SDL add a button "Copy this message to clipboard" on the Messages pane? The only option currently is "Delete this message". I don't see the point of listing the messages if I can't actually view them properly. Yes, I know error reports can be saved to disk when they occur, but re-generating the error just to get a copy of the error report is tiresome.

2. As said in another post today, I seem unable to have a TRADOS Studio session without uncovering at least one – usually serious – bug. Today I have found three in the space of a single hour and I am by no means a Studio "power user". If TRADOS were cheap, QA testing via early (i.e. beta) release and user forum feedback would perhaps be acceptable. At Studio's price point, it isn't.

[Edited at 2010-10-31 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you share the package? Oct 31, 2010

Hi Edward,

If you can share the package with me I'll happily take a look at it for you and maybe I'll be able to help. My email is [email protected]

Just zip up your project folder and send the whole thing over so I see what you see.

Regards

Paul

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I'll know tomorrow Oct 31, 2010

Hello Paul,

Thanks for answering so fast (and on a Sunday!).

I'll contact the customer to see if they are willing to share their text with third parties.

Sincerely,

Ed

P.S. Just FYI in the interim:

- System is Windows 7 64-bit. Studio is 9.1.2299.0, Java is 32-bit 1.6.0_20.
- Everything is running in user mode.

[Edited at 2010-10-31 16:49 GMT]

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 15:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Any ideas what the cause was? Jan 6, 2011

I've just spent quite a few extremely stressful hours due to the very same error. No idea what caused it. What I did in the end was saving the Excel sheets as separate files, then putting them individually into Studio. Some of them came out just fine, while others triggered the same error when I tried to save the target files, so I had to translate them manually and then laboriously put the whole thing together.

I tried the solution provided here but to no avail. What I found most f
... See more
I've just spent quite a few extremely stressful hours due to the very same error. No idea what caused it. What I did in the end was saving the Excel sheets as separate files, then putting them individually into Studio. Some of them came out just fine, while others triggered the same error when I tried to save the target files, so I had to translate them manually and then laboriously put the whole thing together.

I tried the solution provided here but to no avail. What I found most frustrating was the fact that I spent hours translating the file just to realise at the very end that my work was mostly fruitless. I spent ca. 4 hours trying to work out what was wrong and then another 5 hours (when I finally gave up on trying to sort it out) - putting the files together.

I'd so much rather have any sort of rudimentary and error-ridden target file appear after hours and hours of hard work, which I could at least work on, then be stranded like that... I feel extremely disappointed, as it is experiences like this that make me feel cheated into spending more and more on software which is supposed to make life easier and then ending up working twice the hours and by no means is this extra time spent on translating.

Sorry for a moan, but I am a frustrated, angry, exhausted, pregnant and disappointed. I also need some answers.
What I would really like to know is whether there is any explanation regarding the origin of the error and, if so, then whether there is any solution which could help us (Trados users) avoid its reocurring in the future? Any sort of answer would be really deeply and truely appreciated.

As I said, I was working in Trados Studio. The files were .xlsx (but saving them as normal, old-type Excel files did not help) with Windows Vista OS.
Collapse

Daniel Weston
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try this Jan 6, 2011

It's been a while since I had this resovled. These were the instructions I got from SDL at the time to test the source file. I think fixing the options in step 1 is the key:

1. Go to Tools-Options-Microsoft Excel 2000-2003-Optional Content and then check all the options

2. You don’t need a TM for this exercise, but select one if you like. Then copy all source to target using Alt+Shift+Insert

3. Now use File-Save Target As or Shift F12 and your target
... See more
It's been a while since I had this resovled. These were the instructions I got from SDL at the time to test the source file. I think fixing the options in step 1 is the key:

1. Go to Tools-Options-Microsoft Excel 2000-2003-Optional Content and then check all the options

2. You don’t need a TM for this exercise, but select one if you like. Then copy all source to target using Alt+Shift+Insert

3. Now use File-Save Target As or Shift F12 and your target document should be saved successfully.

This will prove that the document roundtrips without a problem so anything else has to be down to something that is different with tags in the translation for example. I think there is something hidden or protected that caused the problem before and by making everything available in the file for the roundtrip the problem was resolved.

If that works, then it shoudl also work on your translation, too.

SDL is pretty good about helping out in a pinch if they are around when you are having the problem. I think what I did was copy the TM over to Trados 2007 and I used Tag editor. That way I got my file out to the client on time. Then when SDL got back to me with the above, I tried it on the original and it worked. Another time I had a different problem and I ended up downloading a newer version of Studio which fixed the problem.

Good luck!
Collapse

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 15:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Didn't work for me.... Jan 6, 2011

Yes, I found this solution yesterday and tried but it didn't work for me - the same error was popping up even with untouched files. For some reason I was convinced that Tag Editor wouldn't touch .xlsx files, but now I checked and I think it actually would? Makes me even angrier, because - had I tried to use it yesterday - I would have saved myselft an awful lot of stress, work and time .

I will keep investigating this
... See more
Yes, I found this solution yesterday and tried but it didn't work for me - the same error was popping up even with untouched files. For some reason I was convinced that Tag Editor wouldn't touch .xlsx files, but now I checked and I think it actually would? Makes me even angrier, because - had I tried to use it yesterday - I would have saved myselft an awful lot of stress, work and time .

I will keep investigating this issue as it gave me such a headache yesterday that I simply need to find out what was wrong with the files, even if I have to shove them into Studio cell by cell, looking for the bug. Reinstalling Studio was my idea too, but I thought I had no time for that. I should have known better...

Thank you anyway, but if anyone has any other clues then I would still love to hear them.

I'm normally quite good at dealing with issues of this sort and yesterday was such a defeat!

[Edited at 2011-01-06 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

Keith Elliott
Keith Elliott  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
Spanish to English
Once again TRADOS studio leaves me high and dry at deadline Jul 21, 2011

Don't buy this software. I've been a TRADOS user since 1998 or so (version 3) and while when it works it is great, the software has been getting buggier and buggier over the years. For the umteenth time THIS YEAR, I have a FAILED TO SAVE TARGET error at deadline and it is now 2:30am and I am still trying to work this out and I am faced with a non-delivery for my pickiest client. This could be the end of my relationship with this client and while the translation is done, and has been for hours, I... See more
Don't buy this software. I've been a TRADOS user since 1998 or so (version 3) and while when it works it is great, the software has been getting buggier and buggier over the years. For the umteenth time THIS YEAR, I have a FAILED TO SAVE TARGET error at deadline and it is now 2:30am and I am still trying to work this out and I am faced with a non-delivery for my pickiest client. This could be the end of my relationship with this client and while the translation is done, and has been for hours, I have spent the past 10, yes 10, hours trying to coax TRADOS to recreate something that will not mean having to translate this enormous file again by hand. I can't remember what the Italian Sales Directors name is right now because I am so livid, but I already interrupted the Boston roadshow a couple years ago with my complaints...I can't wait until my reappearance in Boston at the ATA conference this year (how fitting)....If I have anything to do with it, TRADOS will not sell a single license there or anywhere else for that matter. I will plant myself in the front row and make your life miserable for at least the 48 or so hours that you have your stand open to partially make up for the HUNDREDS of hours I have wasted with this software just in the past couple of years, after you told me my problems would be solved with Studio. What a load of crap.

Buy a competitor's product, it can't be worse and don't believe a word TRADOS tells you. I've been in the trenches with them for over 10 years now and it is only getting worse.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you provide more details of the error? Jul 21, 2011

Hi Keith,

Can you provide more details on the error, or send me your source file and the translated sdlxliff and I'll be happy to look at this for you?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio error message: Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »