How can I convert .SDLXLIFF files into .TTX files?
Thread poster: Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
Member (2009)
French to English
Aug 2, 2010

Could someone please walk me through the process of taking SDLXLIFF files and converting them into unclean/TTX files? I am sure I have done this before, but the process is completely escaping me. For some background, I started using Trados with Studio, so I get a bit lost anytime I wander into the Workbench/TagEditor realm and so some of the advice in other threads has not been as helpful as it might have been.

It looks like I might have been better off starting with TTX files, tra
... See more
Could someone please walk me through the process of taking SDLXLIFF files and converting them into unclean/TTX files? I am sure I have done this before, but the process is completely escaping me. For some background, I started using Trados with Studio, so I get a bit lost anytime I wander into the Workbench/TagEditor realm and so some of the advice in other threads has not been as helpful as it might have been.

It looks like I might have been better off starting with TTX files, translating in SDL Trados, and then saving my target as TTX, cleaning, etc. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate that this client would need the .TTX files for this project (usually, he only needs the completed translation) and translated the .doc and .docx files directly in Studio.

Any advice? I would appreciate it if things could stay on a practical level, rather than advising I go back in time and use another product. One of these files in particular is quite large and I am hoping to minimize manual processing. Nonetheless, I seem to remember a previous process where I successfully converted files by reconfirming segments in Trados 2007.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:13
English
A couple of options Aug 2, 2010

Hi Jenn,

You have two fairly straightforward choices I think.

The first is to export a Studio TM (Translation Memory) relevant to the files you translated as a TMX file and use that to create a 2007 TM. Then retranslate the file with this TM in SDL Trados 2007 Suite. If you used a Project TM then this is simple as you only need to open the Project TM and then right click on it and select export as TMX. If you translated them all seperately into a large Main TM then (
... See more
Hi Jenn,

You have two fairly straightforward choices I think.

The first is to export a Studio TM (Translation Memory) relevant to the files you translated as a TMX file and use that to create a 2007 TM. Then retranslate the file with this TM in SDL Trados 2007 Suite. If you used a Project TM then this is simple as you only need to open the Project TM and then right click on it and select export as TMX. If you translated them all seperately into a large Main TM then (without discussing the use of fields) the easiest approach would be to create a new Studio TM and then import the SDLXLIFF files for each file you tranlsated into it. Then, as you did before, export the TM as a TMX. Now pretranslate the files as TTX in Workbench and tidy them up in 2007.

The other approach, and I think this would be mine, is to create TTX files from your source files in Workbench and create a new Project in Studio with the TTX files. If you use the Project TM from the original translation, or your Master TM, then you can pretranslate them in Studio and tidy them up. Finally, save the completed translation of the TTX as a TTX.

I hope this was clear and not too badly explained?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio can only save in TTX format if the input was already TTX Aug 2, 2010

Jenn

Just want to add a small detail to Paul's suggestion. He is right in saying that the second approach is probably the best, because it involves less steps.

The important thing to understand in this context is that Studio can only save a document in TTX format if this document was already in TTX format when you opened it in Studio. When you process a TTX document in Studio and select 'Save as target', Studio will give you the choice of saving this document as 'bili
... See more
Jenn

Just want to add a small detail to Paul's suggestion. He is right in saying that the second approach is probably the best, because it involves less steps.

The important thing to understand in this context is that Studio can only save a document in TTX format if this document was already in TTX format when you opened it in Studio. When you process a TTX document in Studio and select 'Save as target', Studio will give you the choice of saving this document as 'bilingual TTX' or as 'target document in the same format as the original source'. This option has been introduced in order to provide backwards compatibility.

However - and this is the crucial point - Studio will not give you this choice if you open a source document (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). In that case, Studio will always convert the source document to SDLXLIFF with no chance whatsoever to save it as TTX later.

The important rule to remember thus is: if you want Studio to save a document as TTX, you need to make it a TTX *before* you open it in Studio.

Walter
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Walter and Paul Aug 2, 2010

Thanks for all of your advice. It does look like I'm going to need to start future projects for this client by translating from TTX in Studio. I am actually working with several PMs at the same client and only one of them needs the TTX files so I had never considered adding that extra step. Don't get me wrong, I love Studio, but it was actually EASIER to do this with WordFast.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TTX and Wordfast? Aug 2, 2010

Hi Jenn,

I'm really curious. How do you prepare TTX files in Wordfast, or prepare your files so you can get TTX files in some other way?

Thanks

Paul

Jenn Mercer
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Less steps from WordFast Aug 2, 2010

I did not convert to TTX directly in WordFast, but there are countless techniques for moving from one bilingual format to another. From what I remember, Swordfish was probably easiest TMX > XLIFF > TTX, but I tried a few.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
English to Spanish
Swordfish converts SDLXLIFF to TTX Aug 13, 2010

Jenn Mercer wrote:
From what I remember, Swordfish was probably easiest TMX > XLIFF > TTX, but I tried a few.

Hi,

You can convert you SDLXFLIFF file to TTX using Swordfish.

First, you convert the SDLXLIFF file to standard XLIFF using Swordfish's normal conversion process; next, you use the "TTX Exchange" option to export the XLIFF as TTX that can be handled by TagEditor, Studio 2009 or any tool that supports TTX.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Jenn Mercer
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rodolfo Aug 13, 2010

This is good to know. I should have guessed that Swordfish could handle SDLXLIFF files as well.

Etrans Co.,Ltd
Etrans Co.,Ltd  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
an ini file can help you Jun 12, 2013

You can download an ini file from our website and then you can convert from SDLXLIFF file to TTX file:

http://www.etctrans.com/shownews.asp?id=51

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This thread is nearly three years old now... Jun 13, 2013

... and I think the fastest and best way to convert an SDLXLIFF to TTX is to use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter from the OpenExchange : http://goo.gl/ifmts

This way you can work on the TTX and after you finish the work use the same application to update the SDLXLIFF with the changes. The TTX created is very clean and simple to work on in any TTX supporting tool.

The use of an ini file to
... See more
... and I think the fastest and best way to convert an SDLXLIFF to TTX is to use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter from the OpenExchange : http://goo.gl/ifmts

This way you can work on the TTX and after you finish the work use the same application to update the SDLXLIFF with the changes. The TTX created is very clean and simple to work on in any TTX supporting tool.

The use of an ini file to handle SDLXLIFF is of course possible, but in my opinion very messy and with some filetypes (so the original source) I expect there to be a tremendous amount of tags in the file and a big potential for error when reconverting the files from Trados.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

65062 (X)
65062 (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Swordfish Oct 20, 2014

I Swordfish free of use or is it an expensive program?

Jenn Mercer
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ancient thread Oct 20, 2014

Gérard,

This thread is ancient and I am happy to say that things have improved quite a lot. You can now do this through tools available on the SDL Exchange on their website. From what I recall, the Swordfish program is not free, but there is a demo which will serve if you just need to use it for one quick conversion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I convert .SDLXLIFF files into .TTX files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »