Sweden
Local time: 01:47
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Sep 4, 2010

Susanne Rieg wrote:

After several experiments I finally found the answer. Yes, it was the "Repair Multiterm 2009", however, you have to reboot the PC immediately afterwards.

Sanne

That's very useful to know, and I'm glad you have solved your problem - it's such a useful feature to be without!

Jane

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Happens in intervals Sep 13, 2010

Just as follow up to this thread. This problem has now occurred on both my and my husband’s system and we have the impression it is related to larger sdlxliff files. An example is a file with around 9000 segments or 35000 words.
In case it makes a difference: our TMs are not on our PCs but in our network on a server.

Be careful when this happens. If you click anywhere into the Termbase Viewer, Studio sometimes crashes.

Sanne

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Problem back, now with SP3 Sep 27, 2010

The problem is back on one of our Windows 7 PCs, now with the latest Studio SP3. And now editing or adding terms is no longer possible both in Studio and in the core Multiterm application itself. Unfortunately the "Repair Multiterm 2009" no longer seems to work with SP3, so we have not yet found a way to fix the problem. Repairing both Multiterm and Studio via the control panel did not solve the problem.

But it seems to be a variation of the previous problem:
I can create a
... See more
The problem is back on one of our Windows 7 PCs, now with the latest Studio SP3. And now editing or adding terms is no longer possible both in Studio and in the core Multiterm application itself. Unfortunately the "Repair Multiterm 2009" no longer seems to work with SP3, so we have not yet found a way to fix the problem. Repairing both Multiterm and Studio via the control panel did not solve the problem.

But it seems to be a variation of the previous problem:
I can create a NEW Termbase in Multiterm SP3 and that works fine. I can add/edit terms in that new termbase.
However, if I open an old termbase created in SP2 or earlier, it will automatically convert the TB to SP3 and in these converted termbases I can no longer edit terms or add terms...

What could be wrong?

Sanne
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you please check your Java versions? Sep 27, 2010

And .NET Framework.
Thanks.

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Java and NET Sep 27, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

Java is JRE 1.6.0_14
NET is 4.030319

Sanne

PS:
Interestingly, I just noticed in the bottom bar of those Termbases I cannot edit, there appears a message:

Locked by super as of 27.09.2010 19:55:24.

And the time it indicates is about 15 Minutes into the future from my PCs time....

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-27 17:40 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-27 17:52 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Java OK, but do you have any other .NET version? Sep 27, 2010

Studio needs and MUST have .NET 3.51

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Sure? Sep 27, 2010

Could it not have been SP3 that installed NET 4? I did not install any other programs since installing SP3.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you uninstall something prior to installing SP3? Sep 27, 2010

Even if that would have been true, you would have the .NET 3.5 from the previous Studio installation there - because SP2 definitely did NOT install .NET 4.
So if you did not install or uninstall any NET applications the reason for the fiasko may really be, that the 3.5 version is missing on your system. The Studio installer has probably noticed the newer version and did not install the older...
Maybe you could please try uninstalling .NET 4 on one of your PCs, uninstalling Studio and
... See more
Even if that would have been true, you would have the .NET 3.5 from the previous Studio installation there - because SP2 definitely did NOT install .NET 4.
So if you did not install or uninstall any NET applications the reason for the fiasko may really be, that the 3.5 version is missing on your system. The Studio installer has probably noticed the newer version and did not install the older...
Maybe you could please try uninstalling .NET 4 on one of your PCs, uninstalling Studio and Multiterm and then installing Studio and MT again. It should install the NET 3.51 IMHO.
Collapse

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
That was it Sep 28, 2010

Thanks Jerzy,
all I needed to do was to uninstall .NET4. NET 3.5.1 is already "built in" to Windows 7. It is not listed with the other programs in the control panel, instead you need to activate/deactivate it under "Windows Functions".
After rebooting everything worked again. Indeed, SP3 does not install .NET4. I assume it came with one of the automatic Windows updates.

Sanne

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Great - and this is why I couldn't find it in my netbook Sep 28, 2010

On top it istalled .NET Framework 4.0 today - I hope my Studio will still work there.
Thank you very much for this information.

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Well... Sep 28, 2010

...on our second PC Studio SP3 and .NET 3.51 + .NET4 seem to coexist nicely. On one occasion on that PC yesterday Studio had no term recognition any longer even though you could do termbase searches. Repairing Studio in Control Panel immediately solved this problem (without reboot).

I am just very annoyed at all these little instabilities in the performance of Studio... you constantly need to tweek or fix things "on the go"... unless you stop any Microsoft or Java or other updates
... See more
...on our second PC Studio SP3 and .NET 3.51 + .NET4 seem to coexist nicely. On one occasion on that PC yesterday Studio had no term recognition any longer even though you could do termbase searches. Repairing Studio in Control Panel immediately solved this problem (without reboot).

I am just very annoyed at all these little instabilities in the performance of Studio... you constantly need to tweek or fix things "on the go"... unless you stop any Microsoft or Java or other updates & installations .. which might increase the vulnerability of your PC in the net....

Sanne
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Possible workaround Sep 28, 2010

Hi all

There is a workaround that is similar to the KB article:
http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2529&p=1

But instead of enter a value above half of your systems physical memory you should enter the value:
-Xmx16M

Maybe this helps.

Kind regards
Richard

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Th einverse effect Sep 28, 2010

Richard

Your workaround had the opposit effect in my case. Having repaired Studio I could enter new terms in Termbase Viewer.

If I enter -Xmx16M in Java, I can no longer enter new terms in Studio.
Once I remove -Xmx16M it works again....
This effect is nicely repeatable, at least.

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Function broken again after a few hours of work Sep 28, 2010

Richard,
I think SDL needs to look into a more robust/reliable function for entering terms in Studio. I managed to add terms for one or two hours. Now after having opened and worked on several files in a project, the connection is broken again and I cannot add terms to Multiterm in Studio.

During all of this time I had no other major applications running and I only added a handful of terms to a rather small termbase.

Neither a Repair nor your solution with -Xmx1
... See more
Richard,
I think SDL needs to look into a more robust/reliable function for entering terms in Studio. I managed to add terms for one or two hours. Now after having opened and worked on several files in a project, the connection is broken again and I cannot add terms to Multiterm in Studio.

During all of this time I had no other major applications running and I only added a handful of terms to a rather small termbase.

Neither a Repair nor your solution with -Xmx16M seems to fix it for the time being

...ah the good old days of robust SDLX.... will we also see them in Studio one day?
Collapse

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
Going in circles Sep 29, 2010

I seem to be going in circles with the two problems I am currently facing in Studio with SP3 working on INX files prepared in Tageditor:

If I fix problem # 1 (see my thread: http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/181486-studio_failed_to_create_framework_.html) with the QuickInserts by following the KB suggestion to register SD
... See more
I seem to be going in circles with the two problems I am currently facing in Studio with SP3 working on INX files prepared in Tageditor:

If I fix problem # 1 (see my thread: http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/181486-studio_failed_to_create_framework_.html) with the QuickInserts by following the KB suggestion to register SDLTrados 2007, I no longer get the QuickInserts Error and the QuickInserts are available in Studio. However this immediately breaks the connection which allows adding terms in Studio.

If I fix the problem # 2 by repairing SDLStudio & Multiterm 2009, I can add terms in Studio, but I again immediately get the QuickInserts Error when I open an inx.ttx.sdlxliff file.

Is this an SP3 bug or is it something with my installation?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-29 08:08 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't add term within Studio 2009

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »