Thread poster: Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
German to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

Dear fellow language professionals,

I'm considering upgrading my Office suite to Office 2010 and am currently using SDL Trados 2007. I'm not ready to upgrade to the lastest version of Trados yet and was wondering whether anyone has experience with the compatibility of the two aforementioned products and can advise me whether or not there are any problems. I remember a good friend of mine having problems with compatibility between the last Office version (I think it was 2007) and SDL
... See more
Dear fellow language professionals,

I'm considering upgrading my Office suite to Office 2010 and am currently using SDL Trados 2007. I'm not ready to upgrade to the lastest version of Trados yet and was wondering whether anyone has experience with the compatibility of the two aforementioned products and can advise me whether or not there are any problems. I remember a good friend of mine having problems with compatibility between the last Office version (I think it was 2007) and SDL Trados 2007, so I am hoping that this is not the case here.

Thank you very much for any feedback!

Best regards,

Sarah Downing
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid T2007 will not work with Word 2010 Sep 15, 2010

In the current situation there is limited support for Office 2010 in Trados Studio.
But Trados 2007 will quite probably not work in Word 2010.

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad news, any plans for Trados to fix this? Sep 15, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

In the current situation there is limited support for Office 2010 in Trados Studio.
But Trados 2007 will quite probably not work in Word 2010.

Hi Jerzy,

This is really bad news as I know a lot of people are still using Trados 2007 - I mean it's really not that old and I know that a lot of people (like myself) are not quite ready to switch to the latest version of Trados yet. Do you know whether SDL has any plans of introducing compatibility with Office 2010. I really think they should considering what I wrote above.

Thank you for your information.

Best regards,

Sarah

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Although it is not officially supported .. Sep 15, 2010

... SDL Trados 2007 Suite works with Office 2010. I know of a few people (including me) who tested this without facing any major problems.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did not hear about such plans Sep 15, 2010

I cannot tell with certainity, but I can imagine that nothing will be done here.
T2007 is old software, however some patches still can be possible, so who knows.

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd be interested to hear what someone from Trados has to say about this. Sep 15, 2010

That's great news Walter. Yes, I know it is old software Jerzy, but from the research I have done I have found that Trados advises you to run both Trados 2007 and the latest version of Trados and I have also heard that it is still a bit buggy, so until I can confidently run just the latest version of Trados on my platform, I'd prefer to stick with 2007. It may be an old version, but the fact is that a hell of a lot of people are still using it (all the colleagues I asked are), so a patch would b... See more
That's great news Walter. Yes, I know it is old software Jerzy, but from the research I have done I have found that Trados advises you to run both Trados 2007 and the latest version of Trados and I have also heard that it is still a bit buggy, so until I can confidently run just the latest version of Trados on my platform, I'd prefer to stick with 2007. It may be an old version, but the fact is that a hell of a lot of people are still using it (all the colleagues I asked are), so a patch would be appropriate it seems, that is if it is even needed after what Walter said. I paid a hell of a lot for Trados (as you know it's not a cheap software), so frankly a patch is the least they could do. After all, it is only the previous version and not exactly ancient. Maybe someone from Trados will read this thread at some point and can comment.Collapse

Christopher Kennedy
Christopher Kennedy  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Not for me Sep 15, 2010

I am unable to use trados2007 with Word 2010. I cannot save the translation back to Word without an error message "This application has requested runtime to close in an unusual way" and then tageditor shuts down.

I do hope this does not mean that I now have to uninstall Office 2010 to return to using trados. Any ideas gratefully received!

Chris

[Edited at 2010-09-15 08:43 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL comment Sep 15, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:

............... Maybe someone from Trados will read this thread at some point and can comment.

Hi Sarah,

Here’s what we’d say about this one. Whilst we are not continuing to develop the interface to work inside the Microsoft Word environment, we do test in this environment with the latest products in case there is anything simple we can do to ensure that it continues to work as previously. Office 2010 is a tricky one because clearly this was introduced long after we developed and supported the original solution. However, we have tested the latest version of SDL Trados 2007 Suite in the Office 2010 environment and can confirm that it will work as intended.

There may be some cases when installing Trados 2007 on machines with only Office 2010 installed where you may have to manually copy the document template for Trados into the Word start up folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup\ on Windows 7) to get the ribbon for interaction between Workbench and Word. We will cover this procedure in a KB article at some stage soon.

If you upgrade to Studio you would still have to use the latest version of 2007 for the word interface anyway, and once you have Studio who knows… maybe you’ll actually prefer it

My advice would be to upgrade your Office version if this is what you want to do and if you do have any problems report back here (or through Support if you have a contract) and we’ll be happy to investigate them.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-09-15 10:38 GMT]

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Here are a few more questions. Sep 15, 2010

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your informative explanation. I really appreciate it and I'm sure it will also be quite helpful to others reading this thread!

I'm also wondering how different the operation of Trados Studio is from the operation of Trados 2007. Would you say it's inuitive for someone who is already familiar with Trados 2007. Does Trados Studio include a tutorial like some of your other products?

And one last question: If I'm not mistaken, b
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your informative explanation. I really appreciate it and I'm sure it will also be quite helpful to others reading this thread!

I'm also wondering how different the operation of Trados Studio is from the operation of Trados 2007. Would you say it's inuitive for someone who is already familiar with Trados 2007. Does Trados Studio include a tutorial like some of your other products?

And one last question: If I'm not mistaken, because I already have a licence for 2007, I could upgrade for a minimal fee. I think I remember reading that on the website, but I forget exactly how much it would cost.

I know Trados Studio comes with a copy of Trados 2007 - does this mean I'd have to uninstall my current version of 2007 and reinstall the new one that comes with the purchase of Trados Studio? Is there anything to note about the installation? I know that I need to return my licences and switch off my antivirus (I had to last time to get it to install), but otherwise, I assume it's pretty much straightforward.

I hear the new version doesn't include TagEditor as all documents have to be imported and exported to the one Trados environment, but I assume the TMs and Workbench work in the same way as with 2007?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. It is very much appreciated!

Best,

Sarah
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Phew.... a lot of questions ;-) Sep 15, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:

I think the short answer is no. At a high level when you use Studio it is better to forget how you worked with SDL Trados 2007 and then you will find it much easier to come to terms with. Studio retains an option for the same shortcuts for many features, and fundamentally has similar principles that you will find in any CAT, but it is a completely new application and is not an upgraded version of SDL Trados 2007.

Studio comes with a lot more tutorials than any of our previous products and I think it would be fair to say that there is an abundance of material available on the web. The product itself has three quick start guides as pdfs in the windows start menu;

• Project Management
  • Translating and Reviewing
  • Translation Memory Management

There is a Migration Guide as a pdf, also available from the windows start menu, that is designed to help users on SDL Trados 2007 or SDLX migrate their resources and quickly learn the differences between the products.

There is an online help with the product that has many tutorials covering getting started to advanced topics, and this is a dynamic help that we update with opportunities for users to feedback at the bottom of every page and suggest what we should include to make it better.

Finally you have a few other online resources, some of which we manage and some we don't, but all have some really good tutorials that focus on specific tasks you may need a little help with.

http://talisma.sdl.com

http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/videos/

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdltrados

Sarah Downing wrote:

And one last question: If I'm not mistaken, because I already have a licence for 2007, I could upgrade for a minimal fee. I think I remember reading that on the website, but I forget exactly how much it would cost.

I believe it's 250€, but you will find the prices by contacting the sales team or looking here;

http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_upgrades.asp

I would recommend using the live chat facility that you will find on this same page.

Sarah Downing wrote:

I know Trados Studio comes with a copy of Trados 2007 - does this mean I'd have to uninstall my current version of 2007 and reinstall the new one that comes with the purchase of Trados Studio? Is there anything to note about the installation? I know that I need to return my licences and switch off my antivirus (I had to last time to get it to install), but otherwise, I assume it's pretty much straightforward.

You will need to upgrade your version of SDL Trados 2007 to the latest version, but you may already be using it? The current version is SDL Trados 2007 (8.3.0.863). There is a good article on this process here that explains it far better than I can.

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2729&p=1

Sarah Downing wrote:

I hear the new version doesn't include TagEditor as all documents have to be imported and exported to the one Trados environment, but I assume the TMs and Workbench work in the same way as with 2007?

Studio is an integrated solution in this regard and there is no longer a need to open a Workbench and an editing environment seperately. You just open your document select a TM and away you go..... ish There are different ways of working as many users here will tell you. Each have their preference.

It would be worth you watching this short video as it's quite good to see how it all works. It's not a tutorial itself but only 4/5 minutes long;

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdltrados#p/u/19/JnPRmWyZWkw

I hope all this information helps?

Kind regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Keeping up to date Sep 15, 2010

In our world things move pretty fast and I think it's important to keep up to date with the latest products. Just as moving to Office 2010 is a good move for translators (I really like the enhanced find features), moving to Studio 2009 also makes sense because you will increase your productivity and find that it is much more user friendly than the old Trados 2007.

I would definitely recommend making the move. It's not immediately intuitive if you are used to 2007, but if you watch
... See more
In our world things move pretty fast and I think it's important to keep up to date with the latest products. Just as moving to Office 2010 is a good move for translators (I really like the enhanced find features), moving to Studio 2009 also makes sense because you will increase your productivity and find that it is much more user friendly than the old Trados 2007.

I would definitely recommend making the move. It's not immediately intuitive if you are used to 2007, but if you watch some of the videos Paul has recommended and have a good idea of how it works before you actually start using it then with a bit of practice you'll soon be up and running.

The current SP2 has ironed out the bugs that it had when it was first released over a year ago. Why not download a demo version and give it try?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio is more intuitive than any other Trados version or any other Word-based CAT Sep 15, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
It's not immediately intuitive if you are used to 2007, but if you watch some of the videos Paul has recommended and have a good idea of how it works before you actually start using it then with a bit of practice you'll soon be up and running.

The current SP2 has ironed out the bugs that it had when it was first released over a year ago. Why not download a demo version and give it try?

The next SP is arriving soon, so the situation will be even better.
And believe me, in terms of basic functions like translating, adding terms, or even advanced parts like TM maintenance Studio is much more intuitive than any other Trados before.
You need to think positive. What you have to know is that Studio will give you much more possible settings - which you do not need to learn all at once.
Other thing which has to be considered is, that we as freelancer do need to reconsider our work and treat each single file as a "project". If you understand how to work in Studio with projects you will not do anything else then.
Maybe a good option would be visiting www.ruhrko2010.de - there will be (not yet announced, but already confirmed) a Studio training available on Friday before the conference (22nd October).
Also a MemoQ training is prepared for that day.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 21:58
English to Portuguese
Trados 2007 Suite Freelance works OK with Office 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Hi

I use Trados 2007 Suite Freelance with Office 2010 (32-bit version) with no problems under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Just be sure to upgrade the original Trados 2007 to the "Suite" version, which corresponds to Build 863.

Rgds

Edric

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much to everyone for the information! Sep 16, 2010

Thank you so much to everyone for the detailed information. I think that I definitely will upgrade as the new version sounds so promising. Up until now, I had not had the opportunity to talk to anyone who had actually used it, so was unaware of the benefits. However, as I will also have Trados 2007 installed along with the new version, this makes me feel a bit more secure, knowing that I can still use that if I ever need to.

Thank you to Paul from Trados - it's always nice to hear i
... See more
Thank you so much to everyone for the detailed information. I think that I definitely will upgrade as the new version sounds so promising. Up until now, I had not had the opportunity to talk to anyone who had actually used it, so was unaware of the benefits. However, as I will also have Trados 2007 installed along with the new version, this makes me feel a bit more secure, knowing that I can still use that if I ever need to.

Thank you to Paul from Trados - it's always nice to hear it from the "horse's mouth" or should I say from the "CAT's mouth"?:-) Your links will be very helpful I'm sure. I find the tutorials in 2007 quite helpful already, so if Trados Studio contains something similar I'm sure this will greatly facilitate the process of learning to use it.

"The next SP is arriving soon, so the situation will be even better".
Does anyone know exactly when this will be?

All the best,

Sarah
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The exact date has not been set yet Sep 16, 2010

But the release is underway, beginning with big customers and server customers.
The SP3 for us should arrive early in October.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility of SDL Trados 2007 with Office 2010

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »