Studio SP3 "no open termbase"
Thread poster: Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:27
English to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

I have been working on a PowerPoint translation for the past couple of days with Studio SP3 working quite nicely in most respects until this morning.
When I started Studio and the file I have been working on in the Editor, Term Recognition says: "no open termbase" and no terms are recognised.
The termbases are open and listed in the Project Settings. I can also see an *ldb file in the corresponding folder showing me that Studio has opened the correct Termbases. I can do Termbase Sea
... See more
I have been working on a PowerPoint translation for the past couple of days with Studio SP3 working quite nicely in most respects until this morning.
When I started Studio and the file I have been working on in the Editor, Term Recognition says: "no open termbase" and no terms are recognised.
The termbases are open and listed in the Project Settings. I can also see an *ldb file in the corresponding folder showing me that Studio has opened the correct Termbases. I can do Termbase Search and I can enter new terms-... but no term recognition.

What is the solution for this in SP3? Why is this happening?

BTW, I see that I can look up the path for the TMs when I hover with the mouse over the TM name in the Project Stettings. When I do the same for the TBs no path is shown. Did SDL forget this feature for the TBs?

Also, I still see a bug that seems to have been with us since the launch of Studio:
If you actually have terms showing up in Term Recognition, all fields except the target are sometimes not displayed, as if there is some graphics problem. This occurs, when you get to segments with larger font sizes in the two column editor. If you move to the next segment with smaller font sizes, the Term Recognition works correctly once again. You can "force" it to show all hitlist items, if you open the Hitlist Settings and change some settings, but the problem comes back later.
Is this a Java settings problem?

BTW, I am quite happy with SP3 in most respects. It is far more stable than previous versions, but it still is not the "definite" Version of Studio in my opinion. A few tweeks more, and it could become a great tool.

Sanne

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-08 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
French to English
+ ...
Upgrade your termbases Oct 8, 2010

It appears that we need to upgrade our termbases in Multiterm first - I'm trying it now and will let you know if it workds...

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbases already updated Oct 8, 2010

Daniel, the termbases will update if you open them the first time in SP3. Beware, this can take quite some time depending on their size.

I did this a few days ago and had been working with functional term recognition until this morning, when I launched Studio SP3 and term recognition was (and still is) no longer working.

What I would like to find out is what triggers this problem... Could it be, for instance, other programs I use, before launching Studio? I did a short
... See more
Daniel, the termbases will update if you open them the first time in SP3. Beware, this can take quite some time depending on their size.

I did this a few days ago and had been working with functional term recognition until this morning, when I launched Studio SP3 and term recognition was (and still is) no longer working.

What I would like to find out is what triggers this problem... Could it be, for instance, other programs I use, before launching Studio? I did a short project in DejaVu this morning, for instance.

Sanne

PS having tried all kinds of things, the only solution I found was to REPAIR Studio SP3 in the control panel.
I'm very sorry SDL, but this is not an acceptable behaviour for such a critical program function. PLEASE make the Studio-Multiterm connection become more reliable. We Freelancers have no time to waste on such issues.... In my current translation I MUST make sure I use the client approved terminology which HAS to show up RELIABLY in Term Recognition.

So my question remains: what causes this problem, and how can I prevent it (not just fix it, if it occurs)?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-08 10:58 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-08 11:56 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
French to English
+ ...
I had no problem Oct 8, 2010

I installed both Multiterm SP3 and Studio SP3 and upgraded my termbases (which did haappen automatically as soon as i opened them in Multiterm. The show up in Studio just fine and everything seems to be working well. Sorry you are having problems...maybe SDL can help.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Start Studio with LaunchStudio.bat Oct 9, 2010

I had the same problem after installing SP3.
Run LaunchStudio.bat once and it should work again.

[Edited at 2010-10-09 07:15 GMT]

Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 02:27
English to Finnish
Terms not displaying Oct 9, 2010

[quote]Susanne Rieg wrote:

Also, I still see a bug that seems to have been with us since the launch of Studio:
If you actually have terms showing up in Term Recognition, all fields except the target are sometimes not displayed, as if there is some graphics problem. This occurs, when you get to segments with larger font sizes in the two column editor. If you move to the next segment with smaller font sizes, the Term Recognition works correctly once again. You can "force" it to show all hitlist items, if you open the Hitlist Settings and change some settings, but the problem comes back later.
Is this a Java settings problem?

I have the same problem. Scrolling horisontally in term window will refresh the window in my case.

Tapsa

Susanne Rieg (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So it is still the "old" bug Oct 10, 2010

Lutz Molderings wrote:

I had the same problem after installing SP3.
Run LaunchStudio.bat once and it should work again.

[Edited at 2010-10-09 07:15 GMT]

1) Does LaunchStudio.bat really work correctly with SP3?
2) I thought SP3 incorporates the "LaunchStudio.bat" fix.

Having used SP3 for a while now, I can confirm that the issue appears when you open Workbench (Suite 2007) and then return to Studio (or open Studio). So we still have the known old issue with the incompatibility between Suite and Studio. I was hoping SP3 would have addressed this issue.
The problem is that we will still have lots of clients that did not convert to Studio and on any given day I am forced to switch between Suite and Studio several times and if it is only to clean some ttx file into a Workbench memory... So this problem will remain a pain for another few years.

Sanne

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
.. Oct 10, 2010

Susanne wrote

1) Does LaunchStudio.bat really work correctly with SP3?
2) I thought SP3 incorporates the "LaunchStudio.bat" fix.

1. Yes, it works fine. I think it just re-registers the components.
2. I think it has been fixed. I only experienced the term recognition problem after I installed SP3. Opening Workbench no longer seems to affect term recognition in Studio.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 07:49 GMT]

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Same here Oct 11, 2010

No, it hasn't been fixed in SP3, I still have to run the .bat file each time I start Studio to get the terminology recognition to work.
I couldn't believe it when I saw it still hasn't been fixed, such a major bug for a CAT-tool.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
possible solution with TTX IT Oct 12, 2010

I'm not sure if this is a red herring, but I think that using the free TTX IT app: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/sdl_ttx_it.asp I no longer have termbase recognition problems in Studio. As this has coincided with the SP3 release I can't be sure.
... See more
I'm not sure if this is a red herring, but I think that using the free TTX IT app: http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/sdl_ttx_it.asp I no longer have termbase recognition problems in Studio. As this has coincided with the SP3 release I can't be sure.

I know that TTX IT still calls on Trados 2007 to create the .ttx file so it shouldn't make any difference to the term recognision issue, but I thought it could be worth mentioning it in case anyone else wants to try it out to solve the term recognition problem.

In any case, the TTX IT app is much quicker than opening Workbench every time you want to create a .ttx file so I would certainly recommend it.
You need to have Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 installed on your machine for it to work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio SP3 "no open termbase"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »