Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:12
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

Hi,
I hope that perhaps someone with the same language pairs are able to assist me as I believe this issue might be language spesific.

I have exported my EN-US -> nb-NO (that is Norwegian Bokmal) to a TMX file - some 14000 TUs.
I have created a new TM with the language pair EN-US -> nn-NO (that is Norwegian Nynorsk).
When I do an import to the new TM however, not a single TU is imported, and there are no errors, nor is there any export file (i.e. the invalid TUs).<
... See more
Hi,
I hope that perhaps someone with the same language pairs are able to assist me as I believe this issue might be language spesific.

I have exported my EN-US -> nb-NO (that is Norwegian Bokmal) to a TMX file - some 14000 TUs.
I have created a new TM with the language pair EN-US -> nn-NO (that is Norwegian Nynorsk).
When I do an import to the new TM however, not a single TU is imported, and there are no errors, nor is there any export file (i.e. the invalid TUs).

The reason why I wonder if it is language specific is that if I do an import of the same TMX file (EN-US -> nb-NO) into a new TM with the language pair EN-UK -> nb-NO all my TUs are imported with no problems at all.

I have also tried to swap the language pair slightly:
I have another TM in the language pair nb-NO -> EN-UK, I made an export file, created a new TM in the language pair nn-NO -> EN-UK and ran an import. Again not a single TU is imported and no errors.

I also tried to use Workbench instead for the import. Created a new TM with the language pair EN-US -> nn-NO, but still nothing gets imported and there are no errors.

Any ideas? Anybody stumbled over the same issue with the sub-language Nynorsk?

Many thanks for any input on this!
Have a nice day

Kjersti
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
French to Polish
+ ...
Text editor Feb 3, 2011

Kjersti Farrier wrote:

When I do an import to the new TM however, not a single TU is imported, and there are no errors, nor is there any export file (i.e. the invalid TUs).

(...)

Any ideas? Anybody stumbled over the same issue with the sub-language Nynorsk?

Use a decent text editor kinda Notepad++ (or similar), open the TMX file and replace globally "nb-NO" by "nn-NO", save, import to the new TM, enjoy

Cheers
GG

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:12
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Superb, but still a bit unsure... Feb 3, 2011

Thank you, GG! Your advice was very welcome and very helpful!

I did as suggested, but got the same problem when I tried to import the file in Studio.
HOWEVER, when I tried to import it to my TM in 2007 it worked!
But why not in Studio???
After I successfully imported the TMX file into my TM in 2007, I opened that TM in Studio, exported it to a new TMX and imported that TMX into my TM in Studio (just to see if the problem was with the TM I had created in Studio) and
... See more
Thank you, GG! Your advice was very welcome and very helpful!

I did as suggested, but got the same problem when I tried to import the file in Studio.
HOWEVER, when I tried to import it to my TM in 2007 it worked!
But why not in Studio???
After I successfully imported the TMX file into my TM in 2007, I opened that TM in Studio, exported it to a new TMX and imported that TMX into my TM in Studio (just to see if the problem was with the TM I had created in Studio) and IT WORKED! Strange...!

Thank you very much!

BUT, this is a workaround all the same, and I'm not a person for workarounds to be honest, it is bugging me that it doesn't work to do a pretty easy import when it should in theory (well, for as much as I can do it with en-UK and en-US, why not the for nn-NO and nb-NO?)

Have a nice day!
Kjersti
Collapse

Yazmin Osoyo
Yazmin Osoyo  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also need to change the sublanguages, cannot find code for "Spanish international sort" Aug 9, 2013

I'm trying to implement this sublanguage change method on a very big EN-US to "Spanish International Sort" TM, now I want it to work for EN-GB to ES-MX
However, I cannot find the ISO code for the Spanish International Sort sublanguage, and I can't identify it in the exported TM file.
I would really appreciate your help with this.

[Edited at 2013-08-09 01:23 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:12
English
Spanish International Sort Aug 9, 2013

Hi Yazmin,

Studio doesn't recognise Spanish International Sort because it is not a language flavour used by Windows. See here for reference: http://goo.gl/BZhZay

So Studio maps this to es-ES. When handling Spanish Latin America it is mapped to es-MX.

So if you have a TM in that language when you upgrade it it will automatically become es-ES. To make it work with es-MX you ei
... See more
Hi Yazmin,

Studio doesn't recognise Spanish International Sort because it is not a language flavour used by Windows. See here for reference: http://goo.gl/BZhZay

So Studio maps this to es-ES. When handling Spanish Latin America it is mapped to es-MX.

So if you have a TM in that language when you upgrade it it will automatically become es-ES. To make it work with es-MX you either change the language code in the TM to that or use AnyTM which will allow you to read any language TM : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Local time: 19:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Careful about Norwegian code for Trados Jul 22, 2014

When I had this issue when importing the nb-NO TMX to Trados 7, I globally replaced the code "NB-NO" by "NO-NO" in the .TMX, using any of the mentioned tools. Then, I had no problem to import it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import TMX into new TM, different sub-language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »