Thread poster: Nicolette Quigley
Nicolette Quigley
Nicolette Quigley
Local time: 07:32
German to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2011

Hello there,

in the middle of my translation with Studio 2009 my source segment and my target segment are crossed out, i.e. there is a horizontal black line going through each expression. These are segments which I have translated already a 100 times - so there should be a 100% match, which is indeed the case - only that the two segments have been crossed out.

I do not kno why they were crossed out, nor how to get rid of those lines.

It is such a cho
... See more
Hello there,

in the middle of my translation with Studio 2009 my source segment and my target segment are crossed out, i.e. there is a horizontal black line going through each expression. These are segments which I have translated already a 100 times - so there should be a 100% match, which is indeed the case - only that the two segments have been crossed out.

I do not kno why they were crossed out, nor how to get rid of those lines.

It is such a chore to work with Studio 2009 - so much waste of time.

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the file? Apr 16, 2011

Hi Nicolette,

I have to confess I have no idea as this is not anything I can think of from your description. But if you can send me your Project I would be happy to take a look for you?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Nicolette Quigley
Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Abbey Fine Reader Apr 19, 2011

Hi Paul

after some trial and error processes I came up with the following theory as to why the segments are crossed out in the editor window:

I converted two files from pdf-format into Word-Format using Abbey Fine Reader version 10. One document could have been opened by SDL studio, the other document I was forced to convert as it was a poor scan and had the format of a picture.

In both case when opening the word-document in the editor some segments were cr
... See more
Hi Paul

after some trial and error processes I came up with the following theory as to why the segments are crossed out in the editor window:

I converted two files from pdf-format into Word-Format using Abbey Fine Reader version 10. One document could have been opened by SDL studio, the other document I was forced to convert as it was a poor scan and had the format of a picture.

In both case when opening the word-document in the editor some segments were crossed out. I therefore opened the document in word and copied and pasted it into a new document. In the new document some formatting (bold print, fonts) changed. And this affected precisely the segments that had been crossed out in the editor. I then either left the sentences as they were or re-formatted them.

Then I proceeded to re-open the new word document in the SDL editor und finally the segments were not crossed out.

My assumption is that the editor cannot recognize some of the formatting and then maybe concludes that such segment should be ignored, thus indicating this by crossing the segments out?!?!

Maybe this incident could be added to trouble-shooting to spare others the frustration when converting pdf-documents that cannot be opened by SDL.

Nicolette

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Still need to see the file Apr 19, 2011

QT nicolette wrote:
Maybe this incident could be added to trouble-shooting to spare others the frustration when converting pdf-documents that cannot be opened by SDL.

Hi Nicolette,

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately I can't conclude as you have without seeing the file. Are you able to share this with me so I can take a look too? Maybe even a short section of the same document that exhibits this behaviour?

Regards

Paul

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hm Mar 29, 2012

QT nicolette wrote:

Hi Paul

In both case when opening the word-document in the editor some segments were crossed out. I therefore opened the document in word and copied and pasted it into a new document. In the new document some formatting (bold print, fonts) changed. And this affected precisely the segments that had been crossed out in the editor. I then either left the sentences as they were or re-formatted them.

Then I proceeded to re-open the new word document in the SDL editor und finally the segments were not crossed out.

My assumption is that the editor cannot recognize some of the formatting and then maybe concludes that such segment should be ignored, thus indicating this by crossing the segments out?!?!

Nicolette

Exactly the same problem here, god-awful pdf document converted to Word using Abbyy FR 10 and good part of it has strikethrough effect now... I can work with it, though it's mildly annoying. Anyway, next time I should request better source files

[Edited at 2012-03-29 20:52 GMT]

Agata Skoczek
Agata Skoczek  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
same trouble Mar 28, 2013

I've got exactly same trouble - long parts of text just crossed out in the source. Maybe someone has some ideas how to switch it off.
The file has been converted using ABBYY and then long part of text in Studio 2009 is just stroke-through. Frustrating.
I face the trouble pretty often.

thank you for your help

Agata

[Edited at 2013-03-28 22:59 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Fix the source Mar 29, 2013

Hi,

I think you'll have to fix the source file in these cases. Studio is only faithfully reproducing what's in the source file. Can you open the file in Word, select all and then use Font Formatting Strike though so everything looks like this. Then select it all again and switch off the font formatting strike through.

Maybe that will do the trick?

Regards

Paul

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
English to German
+ ...
SDL Trados target text crossed out in target Word file May 29, 2015

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to add my most recent experience: Received a Word file from client (agency) that had been converted from a PDF file. They did send me the original file as well.

When I added the Word file to SDL, it was accepted but only as document, not when I tried to add it to a new project. That seemed strange right away.

I then had some trouble creating a new TM. I would create it and it would not be listed in SDL together with the other TMs. I cre
... See more
Hi Paul,

Just wanted to add my most recent experience: Received a Word file from client (agency) that had been converted from a PDF file. They did send me the original file as well.

When I added the Word file to SDL, it was accepted but only as document, not when I tried to add it to a new project. That seemed strange right away.

I then had some trouble creating a new TM. I would create it and it would not be listed in SDL together with the other TMs. I created a second version (named it "Original Name B"), same thing. Eventually, I searched for the TM on my computer and was able to import it.

Then I started translating, and everything seemed to work fine, except the text would never be listed in the TM pane/window although it was there somewhere because the program recognized repeated terms and I was able to do the concordance search.

In any case, I continued and saved everything throughout several times as target file. I have to say when I saved the target file, it would always ask me to save it as new file and never showed the file name I had already chosen.

Once I was completely done, I opened the translation in the target file, and everything, the whole text was crossed out.

I was able to switch off the font formatting strike through and that did it but the text was all in caps as well.
I was able to change that by choosing a different style in Word (not font, but style!) and that caused much of the formatting to be undone and some lines to almost completely disappear but we were able to retype whatever needed to be retyped.

Part of it seemed to have to do with the conversion from PDF to Word, but the thing with the TM is utterly inexplicable to me, unless under the "project" function, SDL knew there was something strange with the file.

So I thought maybe my program is going crazy but I had done many projects before on that particular computer with that particular SDL version (2009).

When I had looked at the converted Word file before adding it to SDL, it had looked okay to me. Are there things I can watch out for when I know that the file originated from PDF format?

Any insights are appreciated.

[Edited at 2015-05-29 18:00 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can I see the file? Jun 2, 2015

Hi Bernhard,

I can't really comment on this unless I can see the problem, which I happy to look at of course. Can you send me the original sopurce file, and also your fully translated sdlxliff?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
[email protected]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An update to this thread... Jun 2, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Once I was completely done, I opened the translation in the target file, and everything, the whole text was crossed out.

Any insights are appreciated.

... I tested the tranlsated sdlxliff bernhard kindly sent me in Studio 2011 and Studio 2014 and there were no problems with the font. It looks as though this was a Studio 2009 problem.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source and target segment crossed out in Studio 2009

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »