Trados 2007 suite and 64 bit
Thread poster: Birgit Holst
Birgit Holst
Birgit Holst  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
Aug 16, 2011

Hi,
Unfortunately I have to say goodbye to my old computer and buy a new one.

I run Trados 2007 Suite and MS Office 7 on Win Vista

My question before I buy is, will my present Trados and Office programs run on a 64-bit computer with Win 7 HP???

I would also like to know which office programs the different Trados versions run with?

Thanks in advance.
Birgit

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It will run in 32 bit mode Aug 16, 2011

Just like many other programs without a dedicated 64 bit version - no problem here.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:19
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, except for Multiterm Aug 16, 2011

Multiterm will not run on a 64bit Windows 7 platform. If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can still install the Trados Suite to the Virtual XP where Multiterm shall work properly.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
MT on 64-bit W7 Aug 16, 2011

Hi,

This is incorrect:

Multiterm will not run on a 64bit Windows 7 platform. If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can still install the Trados Suite to the Virtual XP where Multiterm shall work properly.

You can run MT 2009 with SDL Trados 2007 Suite (in fact you be better to do this anyway than to use MT 2007) and this installs without any problems on W7 64-bit.

Regards

Paul

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
You are right Aug 16, 2011

Hi Paul,

You are right. I've mistaken the Suite for Trados 2007 Freelance.

Birgit Holst
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Still confused Aug 17, 2011

Hi,
Thanks for your answers so far, though I'm still a bit confused.

Stanislav: You write that I can run Trados 2007 in 32 bit mode. Does that mean that it doesn't run on an 64 bit pc, and that I can change a 64 bit computer to run in 32 bit mode??

And could the rest of you please be a bit more specific with the Multiterm information. Does it mean that Multiterm7 doesn't run on a 64 bit pc at all?

And what is all this talking about Multiterm 9, that I
... See more
Hi,
Thanks for your answers so far, though I'm still a bit confused.

Stanislav: You write that I can run Trados 2007 in 32 bit mode. Does that mean that it doesn't run on an 64 bit pc, and that I can change a 64 bit computer to run in 32 bit mode??

And could the rest of you please be a bit more specific with the Multiterm information. Does it mean that Multiterm7 doesn't run on a 64 bit pc at all?

And what is all this talking about Multiterm 9, that I don't have? Is it free?

As I said my new pc will be installed with Win 7 HP and NOT Professional or Ultimate.

And then there are still the MS office issues. As I understand it Trados 9 requires MS office 2010, What does Trados 11 require?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Supported versions Aug 17, 2011

Hi Birgit,

SDL Trados 2007 Suite, SDL Trados Studio 2009, SDL Trados Studio 2011, SDL MultiTerm 2009 and SDL MultiTerm 2011 are all supported on W7 64-bit machines.

I think that what Stanislav means is that the application itself is a 32-bit application so it won't take full advantage of the resources available for a 64-bit application. This is actually very common for many software applications and you do not have to do anything special to use this software on a 64-bi
... See more
Hi Birgit,

SDL Trados 2007 Suite, SDL Trados Studio 2009, SDL Trados Studio 2011, SDL MultiTerm 2009 and SDL MultiTerm 2011 are all supported on W7 64-bit machines.

I think that what Stanislav means is that the application itself is a 32-bit application so it won't take full advantage of the resources available for a 64-bit application. This is actually very common for many software applications and you do not have to do anything special to use this software on a 64-bit machine. I am running W7 64-bit and have all the SDL applications running on there (less the really old ones of course).

On the Office version; Office 2010 is not required. The minimum recommended version would be Office 2003 SP3 with the Office 2007 compatibility pack installed. So anything between that version and Office 2010 will be fine.

You should note however that if you want to use Workbench in SDL Trados 2007 Suite with Office 2010 then you should only install the 32-bit version of Office 2010 (you should have an option when you install this). If you don't want to translate in Word using the old Trados toolbar then this is not necessary.

One more thing... I took the liberty of checking your account (at least I think it was yours) and you don't seem to have SDL Trados 2007 Suite. You are running SDL Trados 2007. Please drop me an email at [email protected] and we can make sure we fully understand what you are running and what the best advice will be for you.

Quite a lot of information in there Birgit, but I hope it's clear?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-08-17 07:03 GMT]
Collapse

Birgit Holst
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 17, 2011

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information it helped m a lot.

So you don't think I have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and you took the liberty to check my account.
I do have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. you'll see if you check order no. 135204

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No... Aug 17, 2011

... I don't think you have SDL Trados 2007 Suite Birgit. There is a difference and all of the above including your original title refers to the Suite version and not plain SDL Trados 2007.

Regar
... See more
... I don't think you have SDL Trados 2007 Suite Birgit. There is a difference and all of the above including your original title refers to the Suite version and not plain SDL Trados 2007.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Birgit Holst
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
I upgraded Aug 17, 2011

to order no. 159363 SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance in Nov. 2008 - didn't notice this when I first took a look at my orders.

So what's the difference? Can I still run on 64 bit with W7 HP?

[Edited at 2011-08-18 05:51 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You're right.. Aug 17, 2011

Hi Birgit,

You are correct. I forgot we didn't change the license name with this upgrade so you have Suite but the license says otherwise.

So, all of the above applies apart from MultiTerm. To get MultiTerm 2009 you would need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2009... you would get to keep Suite so nothing is lost.

However, if you choose not to do this then there is a good workaround for MultiTerm 2007 users who wish to take a W7 64-bit machine somewhere on this f
... See more
Hi Birgit,

You are correct. I forgot we didn't change the license name with this upgrade so you have Suite but the license says otherwise.

So, all of the above applies apart from MultiTerm. To get MultiTerm 2009 you would need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2009... you would get to keep Suite so nothing is lost.

However, if you choose not to do this then there is a good workaround for MultiTerm 2007 users who wish to take a W7 64-bit machine somewhere on this forum... in fact I found it:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123305-how_to_install_multiterm_2007_on_vista_64_howto.html

Seems to work for W7 too.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Birgit Holst
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 19, 2011

Paul
nice to know before I make any decisions.
Birgit

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and Windows 8? Mar 5, 2015

Hi
can you also use SDL Trados 2007 Freelance on a Windows 8 pc?

Thank you in advance
Alberto

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Yes Mar 6, 2015

.alberto wrote:

Hi
can you also use SDL Trados 2007 Freelance on a Windows 8 pc?

Thank you in advance
Alberto

As Paul stated in his list of supported products, all SDL SW including Trados 2007 Freelance runs on 64 OSes, thus also on Windows 8 and 8.1.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that this product is not supported anymore, which means that if you run into a problem, you will not get any help from SDL.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 suite and 64 bit

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »