Thread poster: Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Reply to Natalie Oct 13, 2011

Natalie wrote:

is Google Translate the most important translator's tool today? Am I missing something? I genuinely want to know. Thanks for explaining.

For certain fields and language combinations where GT have access to a large quality corpus, it can be highly effective. However, looking at your specializations (e.g. Medicine, Polish to Russian), I don't think you're missing anything by not using it:)

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I see Oct 13, 2011

Thank you, Bjørnar!

Natalia

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What the...???? Oct 13, 2011

Francisco Mar Rubio wrote:

the plugin will be launched in November with SP1 (Studio 2011). Now they have to tell me if we have to pay for that (since I have Studio 2009).

Please find out if that means Google will ONLY be available if we shell out for the new version (2011), abandoning all of the purchasers of Trados 2009. If so I think it is time to switch to another app.

Mariusz Lasota
Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
Apologies to SDL Oct 13, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Studio does not send your target segment back to Google. The only thing Google sees is your source segment.

Cheers,
Luis

So, this is now settled then. Apologies for even being suspicious.

Mariusz

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
GT usability... Oct 13, 2011

Natalie wrote:

is Google Translate the most important translator's tool today? Am I missing something? I genuinely want to know. Thanks for explaining.

It depends heavily of the subject and of the language pair.
E.g. most EU related jobs give good results because a huge corpus is available for most EU languages but a lot of specific jobs will return crap.
Btu even this crap may give some ideas.

Generally, don't expect good results for Icelandic-Polish pair or similar (yes, I recently tested various Icelandic examples, the results were completely unusable...).

Nonetheless, even if the Google suggestions make sense, very few of them may be accepted "as is".
Google translate is not a simple brain replacement.

PS
I don't say the Polish EU translations are good (I spotted a lot of critical translation errors) but they're approved.
Sad but true.

Cheers
GG

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Plug-in Oct 13, 2011

Hi Paul,

can you confirm that the plug-in will be introduced as SP1 only for Studio 2011? If that's true, we bought a product (Studio 2009) on the basis of some functionalities and now one of them is withdrawn. Should you re-provide this function for Studio 2009 too? You are obviously capable of doing this, so why punish people who are not yet going to upgrade?

SDL Support wrote:

John Fossey wrote:
I asked SDL how this was to be integrated into SDL Trados Studio (which I just bought) and received the less than helpful reply that it's between me and Google, not SDL.

Hi,

Indeed, not very helpful. I hope this wasn't technical support you asked?

In order to support the new Google API we need to implement a different plugin and this is something we will include in the very near future. There are actually a few MT providers using a similar model so we are developing an approach that can be used for them all should anyone wish to provide a plugin for their particular MT solution.

@Giovanni
I think you got lucky... the API through Studio doesn't know who you are.

Regards

Paul

Willem Prinse
Willem Prinse  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2017)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Google using translator's input Oct 13, 2011

Strange, I'm just as paranoid as Mariusz. I could have sworn that Google "learned" from me repeatedly correcting certain GoogleTranslate suggestions.

Mariusz Lasota wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Studio does not send your target segment back to Google. The only thing Google sees is your source segment.

Cheers,
Luis

Mariusz

Dalibor Rozsypal
Dalibor Rozsypal  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Google Translation vs. Trados 2009 Oct 13, 2011

Hello dears,

do you know any alternative source (not Google Translator) which works with Trados 2009, please???

If there is any, I will download it to my computer.

Thank you,

Dalibor

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's hope SDL does treat its customer correctly Oct 13, 2011

If we have to pay for that plugin, it would be as:

If I buy a car which supports Michelin tires (for instance), and Michelin is giving the tires for free during a few months. After that time Michelin charges you for the tires and you pay, but the manufacturer of the car wants you to pay more money because of that!!!!! Plus, Michelin had announced that it would charge for its tires with enogh time and the manufacturer did not prepare for that, so you have to park your car during 2 mo
... See more
If we have to pay for that plugin, it would be as:

If I buy a car which supports Michelin tires (for instance), and Michelin is giving the tires for free during a few months. After that time Michelin charges you for the tires and you pay, but the manufacturer of the car wants you to pay more money because of that!!!!! Plus, Michelin had announced that it would charge for its tires with enogh time and the manufacturer did not prepare for that, so you have to park your car during 2 months and take the bus.

The specification of Studio 2009 clearly states that it supports Google Translate (it does not talk about if it only does it when it is free). So if they want us to pay extra for that plugin, I really think they are entering in an illegal field. Let's see what happens. I have no problem whatsoever to demand my money back.

I only bought Studio 2009 because I could use it with Google Translate, and now this...

Kenneth Powers wrote:

Francisco Mar Rubio wrote:

the plugin will be launched in November with SP1 (Studio 2011). Now they have to tell me if we have to pay for that (since I have Studio 2009).

Please find out if that means Google will ONLY be available if we shell out for the new version (2011), abandoning all of the purchasers of Trados 2009. If so I think it is time to switch to another app.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi all Oct 13, 2011

May I ask you to refrain from legal interpretations during the discussion.

Thank you.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:19
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translation is not sent to GT Oct 13, 2011

Willem Prinse wrote:

Strange, I'm just as paranoid as Mariusz. I could have sworn that Google "learned" from me repeatedly correcting certain GoogleTranslate suggestions.

Mariusz Lasota wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Cheers,
Luis

Mariusz

The only information sent to GT is the source text, the two-letter source language code, the two-letter target language code, and now the user's API key. These are combined into a single string of characters. GT sends back the translation and that's it. There's nowhere to send the target text to.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Natalie Oct 13, 2011

Hello Natalie,

I am curious why we should refrain from legal interpretations. Are they in violation of one of the forum rules?

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reboot the router Oct 13, 2011

O Delepine wrote:

hi there

Just to say I'm having exactly the same problem (Google Translate not working or working intermittently with Trados Studio 2009). I have also activated billing in Google but this has had no effect whatsover in Trados.

I have tried unticking/retick Google Translate, restarting Trados, rebooting the computer, making tea, everything!

anybody had any success in getting GT back to work?

best
Olivier

Then start clicking on the segments to let GT fill in as many as it will, reboot the router again to get a new IP and start letting GT do its thing until it stops, uncheck google translate, translate the segments google has filled in and then recheck Google, you'll now get a few more segments, reboot router etc etc

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:19
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
SDL Oct 14, 2011

After all when will SDL solve this problem? It should release an update soon, I do not want to buy GT4T (another thing to buy) after Trados. We need an update to Trados and fast!!!!!
Anyone from SDL is hearing me?
My point is that for a program costing this much you should move it ... fast, and not let us wait 2-3 weeks until you release an update.

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
cup of tea version 2011 Oct 14, 2011

O Delepine wrote:

hi there

Just to say I'm having exactly the same problem (Google Translate not working or working intermittently with Trados Studio 2009). I have also activated billing in Google but this has had no effect whatsover in Trados.

I have tried unticking/retick Google Translate, restarting Trados, rebooting the computer, making tea, everything!

anybody had any success in getting GT back to work?

It seems a cup of tea version 2011 plus rebooting the router when the "error" occurs might do the trick.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »