Thread poster: Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Pawel_K
Pawel_K
Local time: 00:27
English to Polish
+ ...
It's a matter of individual preference... Oct 30, 2011

nyelvstudio wrote:

For google translations "translate.google.com" does the same thing as the built-in google translate in Trados.
It's free, quick, even gives synonyms.
The only drawback is that we have to copy the text to the site and the translation back to trados.
The translations on translate.google.com and the built-in Trados google taranslations are completely identical.

Of course, it's the same translation engine.

However, timing remains an important issue.
We probably need about 10 seconds to copy a sentence to another window and then the result back.
For an average 400-segment daily project, it gives at least one additional hour of work.
The cost of using the paid API version, which allows us to save that hour, will be about 1$.

If one wishes to stay with the free version, then the Bjørnar's ( http://u.42.pl/2H6a ) or O Delepine's ( http://u.42.pl/2H6b ) solutions from this thread are probably much more effective.

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 18:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plugin in development Nov 3, 2011

In case anyone is interested, I am working on a 3rd-party plugin for Studio 2009 that will allow use of GT as a translation provider with input of an APIv2 key. I am not affiliated with SDL and am unsure if it plans to release a corresponding patch for Studio 2009, but in any event, my version should be ready to submit to SDL for testing/verification some time this month (November).

Right now, it is just beyond what I would call a proof-of-concept stage and some of the kinks are
... See more
In case anyone is interested, I am working on a 3rd-party plugin for Studio 2009 that will allow use of GT as a translation provider with input of an APIv2 key. I am not affiliated with SDL and am unsure if it plans to release a corresponding patch for Studio 2009, but in any event, my version should be ready to submit to SDL for testing/verification some time this month (November).

Right now, it is just beyond what I would call a proof-of-concept stage and some of the kinks are being worked out. Currently, it works in Studio 2009 with the APIv2 key but only returns plain text, no tags, and there are some other issues. I've recently joined the SDL developer network and am just learning the finer details of the SDL SDK and how to integrate it into a plugin.

My plan is to offer it for free, and I hope it will offer the same functionality as the original GT provider, if possible. Once I complete it and SDL verifies that it is secure, it should be available for download.

Finally, let me say that I am not coming down on either side of the GT/MT debate. I can see that many people are interested in using GT as a provider, and it piqued my interest that such a small thing should be preventing it. Making a plugin to allow interacting with the GT APIv2 seemed like an easy solution.
Collapse

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Nov 3, 2011

If you can do that, it will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!

Patrick Porter wrote:

Right now, it is just beyond what I would call a proof-of-concept stage and some of the kinks are being worked out. Currently, it works in Studio 2009 with the APIv2 key but only returns plain text, no tags, and there are some other issues. I've recently joined the SDL developer network and am just learning the finer details of the SDL SDK and how to integrate it into a plugin.

My plan is to offer it for free, and I hope it will offer the same functionality as the original GT provider, if possible. Once I complete it and SDL verifies that it is secure, it should be available for download.

Finally, let me say that I am not coming down on either side of the GT/MT debate. I can see that many people are interested in using GT as a provider, and it piqued my interest that such a small thing should be preventing it. Making a plugin to allow interacting with the GT APIv2 seemed like an easy solution.

Pawel_K
Pawel_K
English to Polish
+ ...
Wish list for the plugin :) Nov 6, 2011

Patrick Porter wrote:

I am working on a 3rd-party plugin for Studio 2009 that will allow use of GT as a translation provider with input of an APIv2 key.
(...)
I hope it will offer the same functionality as the original GT provider, if possible.

My list of wishes for the GT plugin:

1) The original plugin sends requests to Google even when we enter segments which have already been confirmed. It is usually not necessary, and it may generate significant costs when we navigate in a nearly-completed translation. Therefore, the plugin should not connect to GT at all in confirmed segments, or perhaps there should be a keyboard shortcut to get translation from Google 'on request' in these segments.

2) Perhaps it would be possible to add a toolbar button/keyboard shortcut or a field in the status bar to easily block/unblock the use of Google Translate globally? For example, when we reach a large table with many numbers, in which GT is no help, we could disable it, then enable it back at the end of the table to continue translating the text segments?
Of course, we can disable it in Project Settings, but it would be nice to have a one-click solution.

Tony.J.A.@DT
Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Patrick Nov 7, 2011

Patrick Porter wrote:

In case anyone is interested, I am working on a 3rd-party plugin for Studio 2009.

That would be great! Thank you!

Not that GT provides anything decent translation-wise but I'm of the "nature abhors a vacuum" type of crowd and (IMO) it does speed up the process to start typing/translating from "something"

I'm using Language Weaver Automated Translation right now but I wouldn't mind getting GT back

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Thanks Patrick - and another wish for the GT plug-in - link up with termbases Nov 8, 2011

Patrick Porter wrote:

In case anyone is interested, I am working on a 3rd-party plugin for Studio 2009 that will allow use of GT as a translation provider with input of an APIv2 key...

That sounds great Patrick - there will be many interested in this (just ask Pawel.
I have a wish too for the plug-in which is probably beyond the scope of what you are doing, but it has always irritated me that SDL's interface with GT makes no use of all the terms we have available in our termbases. In other words it would be great if it checked and then substituted GT's incorrect terms with our correct ones. Of course this would only work in the case of unambiguous simple matches, but it would raise GT's quality a notch. Please keep us informed!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not that simple... Nov 8, 2011

Gfarley wrote:
I have a wish too for the plug-in which is probably beyond the scope of what you are doing, but it has always irritated me that SDL's interface with GT makes no use of all the terms we have available in our termbases. In other words it would be great if it checked and then substituted GT's incorrect terms with our correct ones.

And how do you suppose it would work? It is hard enough to find correct term equivalents (that's what term extractors do, and they are not exactly cheap), but fishing out incorrect ones is nearly impossible...

For example, I have a Polish sentence:

W kosiarce uszkodzony jest tylko silnik.

which, as the mower is electric, should be:

The only damaged part of the mower is the motor.

GT gives us a rather questionable English sentence:

The mower is only damaged the engine.

Now, we have the term which is more appropriate in this context:

silnik - motor

The question is: how the plugin (that is, by definition, a small addon, not a full-blown computational application) is supposed to know that it is the "engine" that is to be replaced with "motor"? Even if it tries to back translate the sentence, there is no guarantee that the order will be kept impact, not to mention that the incorrect term might have several words, might be split or connected with other words, etc.

There is, of course, a simple and elegant solution, but I hope it is never implemented... Because sending Google your termbases is even worse than sending it your translations.

Pawel_K
Pawel_K
English to Polish
+ ...
A small note Nov 8, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:
There is, of course, a simple and elegant solution, but I hope it is never implemented... Because sending Google your termbases is even worse than sending it your translations.

Of course you are right.
Just to be clear: When using Google Translate we only send the original sentence, not the translation.

septima
septima
how it might work Nov 8, 2011

I've also considered this idea in the past, and I think it would work like this:

Using your example,

W kosiarce uszkodzony jest tylko silnik

let's say you have a termbase for the mower project, and in it you have these terms defined:

kosiarka = mower
uszkodzony = damaged
silnik = 1. engine 2. motor

The "plugin" would see that these items were matched in the termbase, and before sending the translation off to Google wou
... See more
I've also considered this idea in the past, and I think it would work like this:

Using your example,

W kosiarce uszkodzony jest tylko silnik

let's say you have a termbase for the mower project, and in it you have these terms defined:

kosiarka = mower
uszkodzony = damaged
silnik = 1. engine 2. motor

The "plugin" would see that these items were matched in the termbase, and before sending the translation off to Google would replace them automatically (here using a dual form for silnik because you have two term matches):

W mower damaged jest tylko engine/motor

This goes off to Google Pl -> En and comes back:

The mower is only damaged engine / motor

Done.

That's a simple prototype, but substituting the actual terms themselves could be problematic. Better would be to tokenise the terms and replace the tokens automatically upon the return of the translation. Really slick would be if the tokenised text was inserted in the translation window like this:

The mower is only damaged [engine/motor]

where [engine/motor] means a pop-up box showing the two alternative terms.

Of course, I think this is beyond the capacity of a small plugin, but for SDL engineers it would be a walk in the park.

But then, it would also have been a walk in the park for SDL engineers to have offered you all a revamped Google plugin months ago.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Possible Nov 8, 2011

septima wrote:
The "plugin" would see that these items were matched in the termbase, and before sending the translation off to Google would replace them automatically

That might work... provided that the English term does not get "retranslated" again into something different. E.g. "samochód" is translated into "car" which is retranslated into "tzar".

That's a simple prototype, but substituting the actual terms themselves could be problematic. Better would be to tokenise the terms and replace the tokens automatically upon the return of the translation.

Provided that the tokenization will be completely transparent for GT. Right now it is not, compare:

W kosiarce tylko silnik jest uszkodzony.
gives:
The only mower engine is damaged.

W [kosiarce] tylko silnik jest [uszkodzony].
gives:
In the [mower], only the engine is [corrupt].

But of course there might be markers which do not affect the GT engine.

septima
septima
with some tweaking Nov 8, 2011

Yes, it would certainly take some playing around, testing, especially given the way GT works with the whole text input statistically - quasi holistically.

Another more elegant solution might be to have the program split the text at the terms using "linebreaks" and send the requisite (i.e. only the translateable) subsegments back and forth individually, before removing the "linebreaks" again

W
[mower]
tylko silnik jest
[damaged].

gives<
... See more
Yes, it would certainly take some playing around, testing, especially given the way GT works with the whole text input statistically - quasi holistically.

Another more elegant solution might be to have the program split the text at the terms using "linebreaks" and send the requisite (i.e. only the translateable) subsegments back and forth individually, before removing the "linebreaks" again

W
[mower]
tylko silnik jest
[damaged].

gives

In
[mower]
Only the engine is
[damaged].

This would eliminate the car-tzar problem, and even save a little money due to the character reduction.

In principle, with some work, I think there could be feasible solution. Perhaps I should write to someone from MemoQ
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Update... Nov 9, 2011

First of all, thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. As far as the status of the plugin, it is moving along. I am also rather busy with translation work but am trying to make time here and there to work on the plugin. It should be ready to submit to SDL for verification before the end of November.

It now has tags support, which was a little buggy at first, but has been addressed somewhat. Of course, it hasn't been extensively tested with all languages. In any event, there
... See more
First of all, thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. As far as the status of the plugin, it is moving along. I am also rather busy with translation work but am trying to make time here and there to work on the plugin. It should be ready to submit to SDL for verification before the end of November.

It now has tags support, which was a little buggy at first, but has been addressed somewhat. Of course, it hasn't been extensively tested with all languages. In any event, there will be an option to select text only.

Pawel_K wrote:

1) The original plugin sends requests to Google even when we enter segments which have already been confirmed. It is usually not necessary, and it may generate significant costs when we navigate in a nearly-completed translation. Therefore, the plugin should not connect to GT at all in confirmed segments, or perhaps there should be a keyboard shortcut to get translation from Google 'on request' in these segments.

This is a great point and a definite must, probably not just for confirmed segments but for draft as well. So, I've implemented this, and the only segments that it sends to Google have an "untranslated" confirmation level. To re-send it to Google, the confirmation level just has to be changed back to "untranslated".

The rest of the suggestions here sound like great features which could be added to a later version, since my goal is to try to get a working version out with the basic features as soon as possible.

Gfarley wrote:

I have a wish too for the plug-in which is probably beyond the scope of what you are doing, but it has always irritated me that SDL's interface with GT makes no use of all the terms we have available in our termbases. In other words it would be great if it checked and then substituted GT's incorrect terms with our correct ones

I was thinking of the ability to make a sort of post-MT find/replace list. That way if Google is consistently sending back a term/phrase which needs repeatedly edited to one you prefer, it could be automatically replaced. The idea is a target-target list. I hadn't thought of the notion of linking it to a termbase, but the idea is compelling.

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement, and I will be sure post updates on my progress.
Collapse

Scheherezade Suria Lopez
Scheherezade Suria Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Using GT4T Nov 9, 2011

Hello,

I came across this thread while looking for solutions for this problem and I just wanted to let you know that I've just downloaded the GT4T software (the 6-month license) and it works perfectly.

You just have to press Ctrl+Alt+J in the column of the segment you want translated and, voilà, the text is there for you to check!

I'm really impressed and no, nobody is paying for me to say this...
See more
Hello,

I came across this thread while looking for solutions for this problem and I just wanted to let you know that I've just downloaded the GT4T software (the 6-month license) and it works perfectly.

You just have to press Ctrl+Alt+J in the column of the segment you want translated and, voilà, the text is there for you to check!

I'm really impressed and no, nobody is paying for me to say this

All the best,

Scheherezade
Collapse

Marthe Lefebvre
Marthe Lefebvre  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Getting the API key code Nov 10, 2011

Giovani, when you say you went to your Google count and activate Billing, ???
Could you tell me where is it ? Where can I get a Google count ?
Thank you, Marthe

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Google Accounts Page... Nov 10, 2011

https://accounts.google.com/

Sign up for a new account... then you have to sign up for the Google Translate API and activate billing to be able to use it...

Marthe Lefebvre wrote:

Giovani, when you say you went to your Google count and activate Billing, ???
Could you tell me where is it ? Where can I get a Google count ?
Thank you, Marthe

[Edited at 2011-11-10 13:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »