Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

Dear friends,

I work with Studio 2009 (SP3- 9.1.2297.8) updated and in the last few days, when I work with Google Translte active, sometimes I get the error: "An error occurred whilst using the translation provider Google Translate: object reference not set to an instance of an object". Of course the segment is not translated by Google and I have to start from scratch.

It happens sometimes. Then I continue translating manually and suddenly it gets functional again...... See more
Dear friends,

I work with Studio 2009 (SP3- 9.1.2297.8) updated and in the last few days, when I work with Google Translte active, sometimes I get the error: "An error occurred whilst using the translation provider Google Translate: object reference not set to an instance of an object". Of course the segment is not translated by Google and I have to start from scratch.

It happens sometimes. Then I continue translating manually and suddenly it gets functional again...

Any clue?

Thanks a lot!
Francisco
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
same with MemoQ Oct 11, 2011

I'm having the same problem with MemoQ, so it would seem it's nothing to do with our software. Thanks for mentioning it!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
same with MemoQ (2) Oct 11, 2011

I've been having the same problem here in memoQ these last few days...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Google API has been deprecated by 26th of May, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

so this is most certainly a result of it.
In all versions of Studio released after that date you have a corresponding warning in the software, when you activate Google.
It says, that the number of requests may be limited per day and that it will shit down completely on 1st December, 2011.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Guess it's time to start paying... Oct 11, 2011

Thanks Jerzy.

I was aware of this, and was going to purchase a key for API 2, but was kind of hoping to be able to use API 1 until the 1st of December, 2011.

Oh well, I guess it's time to head over to https://code.google.com/apis/console/ and start paying.

Magdalena Balibrea Vich
Magdalena Balibrea Vich  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to integrate the API with Trados? Oct 11, 2011

Anybody knows how to integrate the API key into Trados, once you activate billing on Google?
I am trying but can't figure it out... Trados is useless to me like this!

O Delepine
O Delepine
English to French
same problem here Oct 11, 2011

hi there

Just to say I'm having exactly the same problem (Google Translate not working or working intermittently with Trados Studio 2009). I have also activated billing in Google but this has had no effect whatsover in Trados.

I have tried unticking/retick Google Translate, restarting Trados, rebooting the computer, making tea, everything!

anybody had any success in getting GT back to work?

best
Olivier

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 05:01
English to Russian
+ ...
MT Oct 11, 2011

I can live without google translate in trados. in fact, I hardly ever use it. Thought I could try it today to sort of speed up the process, but it gives this error. I guess I don't need to pick up the habit of using MT.
just a thought, for the money SDL 2009 costs, SDL could have negotiated a dedicated (nonpublic) google server to provide a full-featured service for MT users. I don't think SDL can continue advertising google integration as part of their offering, since it is so limited it
... See more
I can live without google translate in trados. in fact, I hardly ever use it. Thought I could try it today to sort of speed up the process, but it gives this error. I guess I don't need to pick up the habit of using MT.
just a thought, for the money SDL 2009 costs, SDL could have negotiated a dedicated (nonpublic) google server to provide a full-featured service for MT users. I don't think SDL can continue advertising google integration as part of their offering, since it is so limited it becomes useless. or maybe remove it and offer SDL Studio for less?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Tried it a minute ago... Oct 11, 2011

out of curiosity, and it works fine... it seems to me that your error is not related to Google Translate, but to something different.

By the way, Google will introduce a paid API, but my guess is that they will still allow an x amount per day. It would be interesting to know how SDL will deal with this if people will want to use the paid API...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Actually... Oct 11, 2011

I'm getting it too now...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Google Translate now requires your key code Oct 11, 2011

I use Google Translate by means of a little program I wrote myself and found that yesterday I was getting an error "Daily limit exceeded". To fix it I had to sign up for payment and obtained a key code that has to be included in each call to Google Translate, requiring an update to the program.

I asked SDL how this was to be integrated into SDL Trados Studio (which I just bought) and received the less than helpful reply that it's between me and Google, not SDL. Obviously this is n
... See more
I use Google Translate by means of a little program I wrote myself and found that yesterday I was getting an error "Daily limit exceeded". To fix it I had to sign up for payment and obtained a key code that has to be included in each call to Google Translate, requiring an update to the program.

I asked SDL how this was to be integrated into SDL Trados Studio (which I just bought) and received the less than helpful reply that it's between me and Google, not SDL. Obviously this is not correct, since somehow SDL and any other software that calls Google Translate is now going to have to include the user's key code in each call.

This will definitely require an update by each software vendor.

Fortunately for me, I don't use the integration of Google Translate into my CAT tools, but there are many who do. For those, their CAT vendors will need to update.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Working now... Oct 11, 2011

what I have done is to log in into my Google account and activated "Billing". Then I purchased it, but I was charged... $0.00 for the API Translate! It works now. I don't know how or why, but it does... it's not very clear how much free usage you get. I didn't get a key code. So, I don't quite know how the API knows it's me...

As far as what John says, I would have thought that too...

It would be useful
... See more
what I have done is to log in into my Google account and activated "Billing". Then I purchased it, but I was charged... $0.00 for the API Translate! It works now. I don't know how or why, but it does... it's not very clear how much free usage you get. I didn't get a key code. So, I don't quite know how the API knows it's me...

As far as what John says, I would have thought that too...

It would be useful to have an answer from SDL support...

[Edited at 2011-10-11 15:54 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL & Google Oct 11, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
I asked SDL how this was to be integrated into SDL Trados Studio (which I just bought) and received the less than helpful reply that it's between me and Google, not SDL.

Hi,

Indeed, not very helpful. I hope this wasn't technical support you asked?

In order to support the new Google API we need to implement a different plugin and this is something we will include in the very near future. There are actually a few MT providers using a similar model so we are developing an approach that can be used for them all should anyone wish to provide a plugin for their particular MT solution.

@Giovanni
I think you got lucky... the API through Studio doesn't know who you are.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
mmm... Oct 11, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

@Giovanni
I think you got lucky... the API through Studio doesn't know who you are.

that's very strange indeed... it might just be a coincidence...

The plugin would be very much appreciated...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Getting the API key code Oct 11, 2011

Thanks, Paul, that's what we need to hear.

The API key code is on your Google API Access page at your API Console, which you can go to after enabling billing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »