Thread poster: Helle B
Helle B
Helle B
Local time: 08:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2011

Hello,
Not sure this is the right place for my question, but here goes - how do I become a Trados instructor? Do I need to take any courses, exams etc? Should I make an agreement with SDL?

Thanks

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
The most likely place to start Nov 1, 2011

would probably be here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/partners/atc/

Good luck!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Fees Nov 1, 2011

You should know, however, that there is an annual fee for approved trainers. Rather high, I would say, even ridiculous for small markets such as the Czech Rep. That's why I train Trados even without the "Approved Trainer" badge.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Info on Training Nov 2, 2011

Hi Helle,

If you're not sure where to find information after looking at the website feel free to drop me an email and I can point you in the right direction.

There is no annual fee to become an approved trainer – but there is a royalty fee for the training course materials, trainer scripts, powerpoints, exams, training licenses etc per delegate that you train. This is payable per delegate or via annual fee.

So Stan is sort of right... but worth you speak
... See more
Hi Helle,

If you're not sure where to find information after looking at the website feel free to drop me an email and I can point you in the right direction.

There is no annual fee to become an approved trainer – but there is a royalty fee for the training course materials, trainer scripts, powerpoints, exams, training licenses etc per delegate that you train. This is payable per delegate or via annual fee.

So Stan is sort of right... but worth you speaking to the right person to get all the information.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Interesting Nov 2, 2011

Interesting thread. Thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've sent several e-mails via the SDL website over the years to get more information on how to become an approved trainer, but never got a reply. I guess I should have just dropped you a mail in the first place

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Still interested? Nov 2, 2011

Hi Marie-Claude,

If you are still interested then do indeed drop me a line.

Regards

Paul

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I certainly will! Nov 2, 2011

I'll drop you a line tomorrow! Thanks!

JCDDiA
JCDDiA
United States
Also interested in becoming a Trados instructor Jul 30, 2014

Hello, I am not sure if we still drop a line to Paul, but I would like to find out what is involved in becoming an SDL Trados instructor as well.

I learn best by teaching, and while I am preparing to become certified with the various levels, I wonder if there is additional training in order to teach this to others? I'm interested in this as well.

Are there requirements for becoming an instructor, such as a set level of trainings or courses at a set number of hours? If
... See more
Hello, I am not sure if we still drop a line to Paul, but I would like to find out what is involved in becoming an SDL Trados instructor as well.

I learn best by teaching, and while I am preparing to become certified with the various levels, I wonder if there is additional training in order to teach this to others? I'm interested in this as well.

Are there requirements for becoming an instructor, such as a set level of trainings or courses at a set number of hours? If I do become a professional instructor, such as through ProZ, I would want to offer a series of one-hour courses to accommodate us ridiculously busy people who rarely have three hours we can dedicate to uninterrupted training. Or, for that matter, it would be virtually impossible for me to deliver training in three-hour chunks that would be at an advantageous time for all involved. (No one wants to attempt studies at the crack of dawn or after a grueling workday, and my only three-hour windows would be 2-5am PST or 9-12pm PST, and I would likely be a zombie if forced to teach anything in those hours.)

But if I can learn how to become a professional instructor now, and worry about the logistics of scheduling training later, that would be great!

Thank you,
Joanna
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Feel free... Jul 31, 2014

... to drop me an email and I'll send your details to the right person to respond to you.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados instructor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »