Birgir24  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 11:41
Member (2011)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Feb 3, 2012

Hello,

This is my first post here so please bear with me. Yesterday I was asked to do a translation which involves TTX files and a .INI file.

I told the agency that I only had Trados Studio 2009. I can of course open the TTX files but have no idea what to do with the .INI file. I'm guessing it has to do with tags and I'm beginning to think that this cannot be done with Trados 2009.

Can anyone advice me on this matter?

Thanks very much for your
... See more
Hello,

This is my first post here so please bear with me. Yesterday I was asked to do a translation which involves TTX files and a .INI file.

I told the agency that I only had Trados Studio 2009. I can of course open the TTX files but have no idea what to do with the .INI file. I'm guessing it has to do with tags and I'm beginning to think that this cannot be done with Trados 2009.

Can anyone advice me on this matter?

Thanks very much for your help.

Birgir
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:41
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
You don't need .ini files in Studio. Feb 3, 2012

You can translate the ttx file as it is. The client, who has created the .ini file will be still able to open it properly.

A.

Rossinka
Rossinka
Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
When opening .ttx file you must use the .ini file Feb 3, 2012

sent by the client.
That's all.

If you use another .ini file, for example, .ini file by default,
the client will have some problem to open or visualize yours files.

It's for Trados 7.

[Edited at 2012-02-03 15:20 GMT]

Birgir24
Birgir24  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 11:41
Member (2011)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use the .INI file? Feb 3, 2012

I'm a bit confused since I haven't received a file like this before. When you say "use" the .INI file, what do you mean? I open the ttx file and then what? Please advice.

You say this is for Trados 7, I'm guessing I cannot use Trados 2009 for this?

Birgir

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
simple forget .ini file Feb 3, 2012

Birgir24 wrote:

I'm a bit confused since I haven't received a file like this before. When you say "use" the .INI file, what do you mean? I open the ttx file and then what? Please advice.

You say this is for Trados 7, I'm guessing I cannot use Trados 2009 for this?

Birgir

Dear Birgir,

You can simply left out the .ini file from the process. Just import the .ttx into Studio 2009, complete the translation and finalize it.

Again, you do not need the .ini file in Studio 2009. That is for sure.

Regards,

Gyula

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
.ini for Trados 7 Feb 3, 2012

.ini file is imported in TagEditor under Tools -> Tag Settings -> Open and then you find the location of your .ini file. Then click OK.

As simple as that.

I don't use Studio 2009, but it may be true also that you don't even need this type of file to deliver a properly formatted document.

Alain Pommet
Alain Pommet  Identity Verified
French to English
Just use the ttx Feb 3, 2012

As the ttx has already been created by the agency and as Andrzej and now others say -I've been too slow posting- you don't have to worry about the .ini. Just translate the ttx making sure to keep any tags in the right place.

The .ini applies to a previous version of Trados in this case.

For beginners it's a bit confusing as the ttx format is a legacy from a previous Trados program that agencies still use for convenience (maybe they don't have Trados Studio)
... See more
As the ttx has already been created by the agency and as Andrzej and now others say -I've been too slow posting- you don't have to worry about the .ini. Just translate the ttx making sure to keep any tags in the right place.

The .ini applies to a previous version of Trados in this case.

For beginners it's a bit confusing as the ttx format is a legacy from a previous Trados program that agencies still use for convenience (maybe they don't have Trados Studio)

Another thread on this
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155885-using_tag_editor_ini_file_in_trados_2009.html
Collapse

Md. Tanjimul Islam Jiban
Md. Tanjimul Islam Jiban
Bangladesh
Local time: 17:41
Member (2015)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Helpful Oct 9, 2015

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2015. I was confused about the .INI file which was given by one of my clients.

After reading this discussion everything becomes clear.

Helga Lemiere
Helga Lemiere  Identity Verified
France
German to French
use the ini file Oct 9, 2015

Some clients ask to use their ini files to keep the same layout and formatting once the translations completed ! You just have to add this ini file like any other file to translate in the project you create. You translate your ttx files and send them back as requested !

Trados Studio 2009 can handle ini files.

[Modifié le 2015-10-09 20:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX and .INI files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »