Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:23
French to Polish
+ ...
Subsegment workaround... May 18, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

scorrell wrote:

I just bought Trados Studio 2011 and can not for the life of me find any information on how to create a termbase from a TM. Would you mind telling me how you did it? (or anybody who reads this and knows)

You cannot do this directly in Studio. What you can do is use ApSIC Xbench to convert a TMX export to Excel and then use MultiTerm Convert to create the termbase. But I'm not sure why you would want to do this?

E.g. in order to reuse software strings in a help/documentation project.

Trados is unable to use segments as subsegments unlike DVX, memoQ, Swordfish, MetaTexis, Cafetran etc., etc.

Cheers
GG

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sugsement reuse May 18, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Hi Grzegorz,

I'm sure there are many things Studio cannot do that other software can, and probably vice versa although I don't wish to get into a competition here.

But there are ways to reuse strings like this. You can regenerate AutoSuggest and you can use AutoText as you go. I know it won't be as amazingly brilliant as all the others but using Studio has many other advantages... at least that's why we're here

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Subsegment reuse revisited May 18, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I'm sure there are many things Studio cannot do that other software can, and probably vice versa although I don't wish to get into a competition here.

But there are ways to reuse strings like this. You can regenerate AutoSuggest and you can use AutoText as you go.

Both solution you propose will not work in this scenario.
Autotext contains only monolingual entries, so it's completely useless here.
AutoSuggest has no attributes, it can't assure the exact identification of the string (especially when multiple AS dictionaries are used) and the TM may be simply too small in order to generate ASD.
Both Autotext and AutoSuggest are triggered by the first letter of the string. If the translation is not very predictable, you'll have no instant suggestion.

IMO, the TM to TB conversion is the only one viable solution in Trados.
The advantage is you have also the terminology fuzzy matching, it may give you some extras.

Of course, one can also use the concordance and check the strings manually but it's too slow to be considered as a sound workaround if you have a lot of GUI elements to translate.

I know it won't be as amazingly brilliant as all the others but using Studio has many other advantages...

Yep, especially your fuzzy matches are the best
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/225082-the_lord_of_the_rings.html

Cheers
GG

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
My mistake... May 18, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

ok - I incorrectly assumed these were software strings and not for translation, more like placeables, but I see your point.

I guess this is why for software localization Passolo may be a better solution?

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Documantation/help localization... Multiterm Convert scalability... May 18, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

ok - I incorrectly assumed these were software strings and not for translation, more like placeables, but I see your point.

If the translations were not needed, no problem at all... just copy source to target...

I guess this is why for software localization Passolo may be a better solution?

Passolo is cool for the GUI localization (in fact, Studio itself doesn't longer handle rc, resx etc., so you have no other solution here...) but it's not suitable at all for the documentation.
Although HTML or XML files can be processed in Passolo, a massive translation of this kind of files in Passolo is a nonsense, Studio/whatever is simply far better here.

It's the reason why in the help/documentation projects the GUI strings are exported from Passolo/whatever as reference, often as TM if nobody cares about the possibilities of the target CAT tool (e.g. Trados).
In well prepared projects, these strings are provided as termbases or in formats which can be easily imported in termbases (e.g. CSV).

Attention.
If the TM is really big, beware, Multiterm Convert has serious scalability problems.
My extreme example is a termbase with approx. 900 000 Oracle strings provided as Multiterm 5.
It was unusable as MT5 because of speed issues, I killed the conversion to a newer Multiterm version (2007, AFAIR) after 5 days, in the meantime I did the job in DVX

Cheers
GG

sleclair
sleclair

Local time: 02:23
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
indexes set, Studio and MT updated, issue still occurs Jun 29, 2012

Hello,

I was away from this thread for awhile! extended vacations, studies, and sheer frustration with this topic have caused me to just ignore this issue in case it would just go away. However, I have come back to it today, and that is not the case, sadly.

So, to recap:

I created two termbases using MultiTerm 2011 (The latest updates have been applied). When I open a document containing these terms in Studio 2011 and select these two termbases in the proje
... See more
Hello,

I was away from this thread for awhile! extended vacations, studies, and sheer frustration with this topic have caused me to just ignore this issue in case it would just go away. However, I have come back to it today, and that is not the case, sadly.

So, to recap:

I created two termbases using MultiTerm 2011 (The latest updates have been applied). When I open a document containing these terms in Studio 2011 and select these two termbases in the project settings, they open, and I see my indexes are set as "English (Canada)....English" and "French (Canada)...French". However, none of the terms that should be recognized are being shown -- my Term Recognition window says "No results available".

Search settings are at the default, which is Minimum Match value at 70% and Search depth at 200.

However, if I run a search in the Termbase Search window for the terms in my document, they do appear in the Termbase Search window.

Similarly, if I right-click on a term in the document and select "Add term", I am informed the term already exists. If I edit the term and save it from within Studio, *that* term will then show up in the Term Recognition window.

Is there a size issue I am unaware of? I often work with a client who sends me .itds, and I share projects with a woman uses an older version of Studio (she edits, I revise or vice-versa). Could this have somehow contaminated my version of Studio?

Thanks again,

Sam
Collapse

sleclair
sleclair

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Adding new terms with Multiterm Extract seems to be the problem... Jun 29, 2012

I've been tinkering around with these termbases today, and had mentioned above that if i add or edit a term from within Studio, it is recognized.

I then used Multiterm Extract to add 6 new terms to one of my termbases, which I had just added terms to from within studio (these terms were recognized). Now that I have added these new terms, none of the terms, including the ones that used to be recognized, appear.

So, it seems that perhaps this is a problem with my MultiTer
... See more
I've been tinkering around with these termbases today, and had mentioned above that if i add or edit a term from within Studio, it is recognized.

I then used Multiterm Extract to add 6 new terms to one of my termbases, which I had just added terms to from within studio (these terms were recognized). Now that I have added these new terms, none of the terms, including the ones that used to be recognized, appear.

So, it seems that perhaps this is a problem with my MultiTerm extract? If I could just find a workaround of some kind. Getting closer to the cause without having any solutions only helps so much.

I am not saving any time by automatically extracting terms, if I then have to spend hours figuring out how to make the terms appear.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@sleclair Jun 29, 2012

Hi,

I'm sometimes using Trados Studio 2009, not the newest 2011, but I guess the reason of your problem is the same, and it's an old one - at least for me. You can find solutions by googling/searching these forums. Here an extract of what I suggested in the past:

1)
If you run any other Java-based program (dictionaries etc.), then you must first open Studio and then
any other Java program. Failing this, the document Preview, the Add to Termbase and the term
... See more
Hi,

I'm sometimes using Trados Studio 2009, not the newest 2011, but I guess the reason of your problem is the same, and it's an old one - at least for me. You can find solutions by googling/searching these forums. Here an extract of what I suggested in the past:

1)
If you run any other Java-based program (dictionaries etc.), then you must first open Studio and then
any other Java program. Failing this, the document Preview, the Add to Termbase and the term recognition may not work

2)
If you have Trados 2007 Suite components installed, this will often lead to some errors in Studio.
In particular, if not yet resolved with Studio 2011, you must switch appropriately between the Multiterm versions by using manually the Side-by-side tool. Failing this will leave you with a corrupted setup for all MT versions.

3)
If you ever start Trados Workbench (Trados 2007), before using Studio again, you must use a file called "Launch Studio.bat" that will re-register the Multiterm components of your current Studio installation; this should be fixed with Studio 2011, but I don't know for sure.
Failing this, MT will not work correctly in Studio, in particular: no terms shown when present.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I recommend not doing this... Jun 30, 2012

Hi,

On the points below from MikeTrans, which I'm sure are all the results of his own experience.

1. Java issues - not relevant fo Studio/MultiTerm 2011
2. Side by side tool : thids is designed for running MultiTerm 2007 and MultiTerm 2009 together.
3. Launch Studio.bat is not required for the 2011 versions... popssibly not for the latest 2009 SP3 either

So I think, given you are using the 2011 tools that you should use the Solution Finder and l
... See more
Hi,

On the points below from MikeTrans, which I'm sure are all the results of his own experience.

1. Java issues - not relevant fo Studio/MultiTerm 2011
2. Side by side tool : thids is designed for running MultiTerm 2007 and MultiTerm 2009 together.
3. Launch Studio.bat is not required for the 2011 versions... popssibly not for the latest 2009 SP3 either

So I think, given you are using the 2011 tools that you should use the Solution Finder and log a case. Certainly don't try running any of the solutions mentioned here as they are not for your version of the tools... might be harmless, but might not be. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation went fine but now I get an error message when opening or using the program;
-- The error occurs in SDDL Tradois Studio 2011

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Vanessa Correa
Vanessa Correa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
any hope for the term recognition problem? Oct 17, 2012

I just got the same problem here. Installed Studio 2011 SP2, Mutltiterm, created project, termbase, all working fine, closed yesterday, opened today, now "No results available", no Autosuggest.

Now what?

Any news?

Thank you,

sleclair
sleclair

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Vanessa Correa - no real answers, unreliable workarounds Oct 17, 2012

Hi Vanessa,

Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the true mysteries of Trados. I am just downloading SP2 right now, and not looking forward to the fact that the few termbases I did get to work (by exporting all of the terms into new termbases - this worked about 6/10 times I tried it, no clue why it worked sometimes and not other times) will probably stop working once the update is complete.

So, try exporting the terms into new termbases, i guess? sometimes, if that d
... See more
Hi Vanessa,

Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the true mysteries of Trados. I am just downloading SP2 right now, and not looking forward to the fact that the few termbases I did get to work (by exporting all of the terms into new termbases - this worked about 6/10 times I tried it, no clue why it worked sometimes and not other times) will probably stop working once the update is complete.

So, try exporting the terms into new termbases, i guess? sometimes, if that doesn't work, opening the xml file and editing it pointlessly (adding a space, saving, deleting the space, saving again) got a couple termbases to work for me. Renaming a couple of the extract files before importing them *also* got a couple termbases to work. Why? who know!

Basically, just do a bunch of silly, pointless-seeming things that verge on superstition, and the gods of trados studio and multiterm will smile on you sometimes, with no rhyme or reason. (i swear, i'm ready to sacrifice a chicken)
Collapse

Vanessa Correa
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
poor chicken... Oct 17, 2012

...lets sue SDL. sounds funnier.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Worth checking the obvious... Oct 17, 2012

Vanessa Correa wrote:

I just got the same problem here. Installed Studio 2011 SP2, Mutltiterm, created project, termbase, all working fine, closed yesterday, opened today, now "No results available", no Autosuggest.

... before we go to court..!

I have seen some new users open their document, add their TM, add their autosuggest, add their termbase and start work. At the end of the day they close Studio, then the next day they start they open the document again as they did the day before... only now nothing is there.

Perhaps your problem is related to this, although maybe not this extreme (apologies if you are an experienced user)?

Can you elaborate on what you did a little and maybe this will help find the resolution? So a step by step guide to what you did yesterday and then how you started today.

Regards

Paul

Vanessa Correa
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
step by step Oct 17, 2012

closed yesterday.

1. opened today.
2. in Editor
3. look to termbase, says "no open termbase"
4. click button Project Termbase Settings
5. add
6. added
7. always click reset to defaults, just in case
8. go to Tool, Options, reset to defaults, just in case
9. save (I always save before working, just in case)
10. go to next segment
11. "No results available"
12. saved everything
13. now working on memoq, because th
... See more
closed yesterday.

1. opened today.
2. in Editor
3. look to termbase, says "no open termbase"
4. click button Project Termbase Settings
5. add
6. added
7. always click reset to defaults, just in case
8. go to Tool, Options, reset to defaults, just in case
9. save (I always save before working, just in case)
10. go to next segment
11. "No results available"
12. saved everything
13. now working on memoq, because there is no solution for a very expensive software

am I missing something?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Repair Multiterm Oct 17, 2012

Hi,

ok - in this case I would suggest running a repair of MultiTerm It is easier than it sounds and you do it like this (assuming W7).

Start -> Control Panel
Programs and features
Click on SDL MultiTerm 2011 Desktop SP2
Click on Repair

It takes a few seconds to run, you restart Studio and try again. This should resolve
... See more
Hi,

ok - in this case I would suggest running a repair of MultiTerm It is easier than it sounds and you do it like this (assuming W7).

Start -> Control Panel
Programs and features
Click on SDL MultiTerm 2011 Desktop SP2
Click on Repair

It takes a few seconds to run, you restart Studio and try again. This should resolve the problem... I hope.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term Recognition errors in Trados Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »