Studio 2011 Error message "Dependency file not found"
Thread poster: Yoko Busk
Yoko Busk
Yoko Busk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2012

I'm in a hurry to sort this problem and any advice would be appreciated in 24 hours.

1. I created studio 2011 project from TTX file the agency sent. This agency still prefers to work with TagEditor but I always convert file to SDL XLIFF for my convenience and faster processing.

2. I was working though almost the halfway, and when I tried to save to have a break, the error message 'Dependency file not found' appeared.

3. Since this message appeared I realis
... See more
I'm in a hurry to sort this problem and any advice would be appreciated in 24 hours.

1. I created studio 2011 project from TTX file the agency sent. This agency still prefers to work with TagEditor but I always convert file to SDL XLIFF for my convenience and faster processing.

2. I was working though almost the halfway, and when I tried to save to have a break, the error message 'Dependency file not found' appeared.

3. Since this message appeared I realised I couldn't save the file using 'save as', which I really need to use after finishing the file to deliver to the agency.

4. I searched SDL knowledgebase, and the advice for this error message was not helpful. Apparently this was caused because the original file size is too big. The advice was based on when you receive the package from the package creator (agency etc), not when you created project by converting the file. So it was suggesting to ask package creator to include the original file in the package and enlarge embedding size.

I'm sorry in advance for my panic writing but really appreciate any help. Thank you.
Collapse

Amanda DesJardins
Amanda DesJardins
United States
Local time: 17:16
Spanish to English
Here you go! Jan 14, 2013

The way to solve this problem is to create a new project with the same (merged) files and the same TM. The files will then be translated in full using the translation units in the TM.

The reason this happened is that you ran a PC maintenance program which deleted some temporary folders (with strange names such as h22dhsgb.2ib) from (usually) the Documents and settings\\Local settings\Temp, and you did this while the merged document was open in Studio. A bug I would say, even if mayb
... See more
The way to solve this problem is to create a new project with the same (merged) files and the same TM. The files will then be translated in full using the translation units in the TM.

The reason this happened is that you ran a PC maintenance program which deleted some temporary folders (with strange names such as h22dhsgb.2ib) from (usually) the Documents and settings\\Local settings\Temp, and you did this while the merged document was open in Studio. A bug I would say, even if maybe SDL Trados is not the only part to blame.
Collapse

Martina Silpoch
Martina Silpoch  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Same problem Feb 5, 2013

Amanda, I am so glad to find your post. Had the same problem with a file in a packet and without that one file was not able to return the packet. It may come handy for somebody else so i am going to describe my solution. When the file would not open with the message Dependency file not found, it asked Would you like to browse for the file? clicking on Yes brought no results, No file found. But clicking on No did open the file and i was able to finish translating. Saved it and there was no way t... See more
Amanda, I am so glad to find your post. Had the same problem with a file in a packet and without that one file was not able to return the packet. It may come handy for somebody else so i am going to describe my solution. When the file would not open with the message Dependency file not found, it asked Would you like to browse for the file? clicking on Yes brought no results, No file found. But clicking on No did open the file and i was able to finish translating. Saved it and there was no way to add it to the package, the error message kept coming up. So I reopened all the files, one by one, and saved them in a different location (on my Desktop). Then just emailed them one by one to the agency, including the last, problematic one. They had no difficulty opening them and bunching them together again.Collapse

FMM
FMM
Local time: 22:16
French to English
+ ...
Norton settings Apr 23, 2013

If a project is left open in Studio 2011 and Norton 360 performs an idle-time scan, it seems to delete temporary files required for Studio projects.

To solve this, open the Norton 360 dashboard, select "Task scheduling", and uncheck the "Windows Temporary Files" box. It seems to solve the problem.

Tatyana Bulava
Tatyana Bulava  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Super Amanda! May 7, 2013

Amanda thanks a lot! It worked out!

emmamerlos
emmamerlos  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Spanish
My solution Jan 10, 2014

Hi, I had a similar problem: I couldn't save the target file because of a dependency file not found.
What worked for me was to open each file and it asked "Would you like to browse for the file?" I clicked on Yes and it prompted me to browse for the file. I went to the folder where my original files were saved and selected the appropriate one (you have to change the temporary file name in the dropdown next to the file selection box to the original file name). After this the document opened
... See more
Hi, I had a similar problem: I couldn't save the target file because of a dependency file not found.
What worked for me was to open each file and it asked "Would you like to browse for the file?" I clicked on Yes and it prompted me to browse for the file. I went to the folder where my original files were saved and selected the appropriate one (you have to change the temporary file name in the dropdown next to the file selection box to the original file name). After this the document opened and then I saved the file. Now when I open each document and get no error message. I'm also able to save target as in a new folder.

I disabled the Norton 360 deletion of temporary files as FMM suggested to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
Hope this helps.

Emma
Collapse

Medskrift
Medskrift
Sweden
Local time: 23:16
English to Swedish
+ ...
Find the wordfile! Oct 20, 2014

I had the same problem as described above. I had left the computer for lunch and the first new entry to the TM didn't work, "Dependency file not found". Clicking yes and locating the wordfile in the package seems to have solved it. But then again, I haven't delivered it yet ...

Spanish@Canada
Spanish@Canada
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Big thank you May 15, 2015

Thanks Amanda for finding the cause and a permanent solution and also Emma for your solution, it worked for me. So glad I was able to get the text out for a large project I had been working on for over two months. I was already panicking:)
BdV

Ernst Rupprecht
Ernst Rupprecht
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
German to English
+ ...
Another solution to "Deoendency File Not Found" Jan 12, 2016

When the message came up, I was asked whether I wanted to browse for it. if you say YES, the system states that the file was not found

However, if you click NO, the System goes straight back to the Studio file you want and the message goes away !!

Ernst Rupprecht

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Error message "Dependency file not found"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »