SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 - Slow
Thread poster: Nicolas LEFEVRE
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
English
Just an idea... Jul 20, 2012

... but perhaps you can disable this option when handling TTX files. It won't be necessary for many users and on a large file it can slow the process up quite a bit:

Regards

Paul

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
XML files Jul 20, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... but perhaps you can disable this option when handling TTX files. It won't be necessary for many users and on a large file it can slow the process up quite a bit:

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks, but I'm working with XML files. The project was created entirely in Studio 2011. Do you know if there's a patch coming soon or should I just uninstall Studio and Multiterm SP2 and return to SP1 after I finish this project today?

Joan Gomez
Joan Gomez  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
the same for me Jul 20, 2012

I installed SP2 in the middle of a project and now the analysis and save tasks take ages.
The DOCX file I am saving right now has around 7 Mb and I am sitting here waiting for 15 minutes already!

I even had time to think that this was not normal and started to google it.

But I suppose I won't uninstall SP2. I just won't save so often.

[Edited at 2012-07-20 10:42 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A couple of things... Jul 20, 2012

Hi,

As we can see from this thread alone, and also from our Beta testing, this is not a consistent issue so it would be really helpful if anyone could share a file they are having problems with so I can test this on my end and perhaps be able to rule out the file itself.

One possibility that has been mentioned as we discussed this internally is that virus checkers can drastically slow down Studio saving. It may be worth disabling your virus checker just for a few minut
... See more
Hi,

As we can see from this thread alone, and also from our Beta testing, this is not a consistent issue so it would be really helpful if anyone could share a file they are having problems with so I can test this on my end and perhaps be able to rule out the file itself.

One possibility that has been mentioned as we discussed this internally is that virus checkers can drastically slow down Studio saving. It may be worth disabling your virus checker just for a few minutes so you can test this and if it helps then perhaps you can configure your virus checker to ensure this doesn't happen in the future... we may be able to help with that.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Joan Gomez
Joan Gomez  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Jul 20, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

One possibility that has been mentioned as we discussed this internally is that virus checkers can drastically slow down Studio saving. It may be worth disabling your virus checker just for a few minutes so you can test this and if it helps then perhaps you can configure your virus checker to ensure this doesn't happen in the future... we may be able to help with that.

Regards

Paul

I just disabled my antivirus (Comodo Internet Security) and everything worked fine again. I analysed and saved some files and there are no slow downs.

Now I will have to setup Comodo in order to allow Trados to "run free".

Thanks for your quick help!

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've rolled back to SP1 Jul 20, 2012

Joan Gomez wrote:

I installed SP2 in the middle of a project and now the analysis and save tasks take ages.
The DOCX file I am saving right now has around 7 Mb and I am sitting here waiting for 15 minutes already!

I was in your position, but decided I would waste less time by going through the process of taking SP2 off and then finding (not easy) where to re-download SP1 and reinstall it.
I'm glad I did. I can work normally again now.

I find it utterly disgraceful that SDL should waste my time in this way. I am a paying customer, not a beta tester.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Beta testing Software Jul 20, 2012

Mike Sadler wrote:
I find it utterly disgraceful that SDL should waste my time in this way. I am a paying customer, not a beta tester.

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry you have had this problem. We have been testing this in Beta for some time, and we use quite some real users for this too, but sometimes the problems that arise when the release finally goes into production can arise from very unlikely circumstances. In this case not everyone has been affected so our next step will be to try and find out which flavours of Anti-Virus (as this seems a likely cause given the response from Joan already) can do this. Certainly the most common ones we test with have not caused this problem in testing... and we can't test against every flavour out there... some of them I haven't even heard of..!

Perhaps you can test the same thing and if you're still having a problem let me know and we can try to address it? It may be the result of something so specific to you that even several service packs down the line you'll still get the issue... and maybe not!

Regards

Paul

Nicolas LEFEVRE
Nicolas LEFEVRE  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conflict with Windows Defender Jul 20, 2012

Hello,

Here is some feedback again.

- Analysis with Windows Defender activated : 4 minutes 20 seconds
- Analysis with Windows Defender deactivated : 30 seconds

What I did : I've added SdlTradosStudio.exe in the list of excluded processes to be checked by Windows Defender, and now everything is going fine !

I hope it will help.

Regards,

Nicolas.

Yan Xiong
Yan Xiong  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Chinese
+ ...
no difference Jul 20, 2012

I have deactivated my Antivirus, no difference

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Windows Defender? Jul 21, 2012

Hi Yan,

Perhaps you can also try deactivating Windows Defender, more of a spyware application than AV and Nicolas noted this helped in the previous post.

If that doesn't help either please feel free to send me the offending file or project and we can take a look to see if there is another reason for this problem you have encountered.

Regards

Paul

Lars Hoej
Lars Hoej  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Rolled back to SP1 Jul 23, 2012

Mike Sadler wrote:

Joan Gomez wrote:

I was in your position, but decided I would waste less time by going through the process of taking SP2 off and then finding (not easy) where to re-download SP1 and reinstall it.
I'm glad I did. I can work normally again now.

Installed a new super fast PC. Everything was a breeze with SP1 even with a merged 90 MB document. Then I ugraded to SP2. First of all, it now took more than 10 minutes to save the job, it also all of a sudden while autopropagating a segment left all segments Translated. Fortunately the TM was intact, so I could start over with non-merged files.
Have just rolled back to SP1 - same wonderful speed as before.

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 20:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Unistall Microsoft Security Essential Jul 25, 2012

I installed Studio SP2 recenlty and came up with this same problem... very strange. I made several different tests and since I had another desktop with Studio 2011 SP1 I went comparing and Studio SP2 always would take MUCH MUCH long to save AND analyze the files with around 17K words both in .doc format and docx.

After seeing this post, since I don't have any antiviruses intalled on my computer, the only thing I had was Microsoft Security Essential. I didn't see anywhere on this pro
... See more
I installed Studio SP2 recenlty and came up with this same problem... very strange. I made several different tests and since I had another desktop with Studio 2011 SP1 I went comparing and Studio SP2 always would take MUCH MUCH long to save AND analyze the files with around 17K words both in .doc format and docx.

After seeing this post, since I don't have any antiviruses intalled on my computer, the only thing I had was Microsoft Security Essential. I didn't see anywhere on this program to deactivate it so I uninstalled it and the speed of Studio SP2 went back to normal.

@ Paul:
I don't think it has anything to do with types of files and settings, but some conflict with antispyware and antiviruses. And I didn't have any strange or unknown antivirus on my computer but a simple basic free MICROSOFT program. Is there any plans of this bug being solved?

Regards,
Collapse

Odile Raymond
Odile Raymond  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
could you share, please? Jul 25, 2012

To Mike

"I was in your position, but decided I would waste less time by going through the process of taking SP2 off and then finding (not easy) where to re-download SP1 and reinstall it.
I'm glad I did. I can work normally again now."

I dread the moment when I have to do that, so if you would kindly give some directions as to where to find it, I would really appreciate.
Thank you so much.

[Edited at 2012-07-25 21:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-25
... See more
To Mike

"I was in your position, but decided I would waste less time by going through the process of taking SP2 off and then finding (not easy) where to re-download SP1 and reinstall it.
I'm glad I did. I can work normally again now."

I dread the moment when I have to do that, so if you would kindly give some directions as to where to find it, I would really appreciate.
Thank you so much.

[Edited at 2012-07-25 21:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-25 21:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-25 21:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-25 22:04 GMT]
Collapse

Lars Hoej
Lars Hoej  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
AVG works Jul 27, 2012

Jonathan Fray wrote:

After seeing this post, since I don't have any antiviruses intalled on my computer, the only thing I had was Microsoft Security Essential. I didn't see anywhere on this program to deactivate it so I uninstalled it and the speed of Studio SP2 went back to normal.

@ Paul:
I don't think it has anything to do with types of files and settings, but some conflict with antispyware and antiviruses. And I didn't have any strange or unknown antivirus on my computer but a simple basic free MICROSOFT program. Is there any plans of this bug being solved?

Regards,

Had the same problem with MS and Kaspersky. Changed to AVG free, and now it works normally.

DNP
DNP
How to roll back to SP1 Jul 31, 2012

Have just rolled back to SP1 - same wonderful speed as before.

Does anyone mind explaining how to do this? SP2 is unacceptably slow for me as well, and I have wasted too much time with Trados over the past few months to be interested in wasting any more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 - Slow

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »