Thread poster: Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 05:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

hope anyone can help.
I'm running Studio 2011 SP2 on an i5 Windows 7 64 bits computer.
today, I found Studio won't open. the splash screen start running, but it crashes before getting to "creating Editor window", and the application jut won't open at all.
I've restarted my computer several times without any luck.
SDL support, please think of a solution!
many thanks,
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Aug 1, 2012

who says Trados Support isn't excellent!
Michael Brucker took control of my computer remotely and made the changes necessary to be able to reinstall and open Studio 2011 SP2. (I don't have a purchased support agreement.)

problem solved.
the solution was to delete these files, that are recreated when reopening Studio:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml
... See more
Michael Brucker took control of my computer remotely and made the changes necessary to be able to reinstall and open Studio 2011 SP2. (I don't have a purchased support agreement.)

problem solved.
the solution was to delete these files, that are recreated when reopening Studio:

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

and after that, to deactivate and reactivate Studio.

thanks Michael!
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:02
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Beware dialogs hiding behind other windows Feb 15, 2013

Hi, this appeared to be happening on my system (windows 7) too, until I realized SDL was opening dialogs without automatically bringing them into focus (hiding behind my full-screen browser). This is only noticeable in the taskbar (highlighted icon). I had several processes and activities between 2009 and 2011 installations and my repeated efforts going on without noticing it...

Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:02
Indonesian to English
+ ...
deleting the xml didn't work Mar 8, 2013

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

problem solved.

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

and after that, to deactivate and reactivate Studio.

thanks Michael!

Hi Lorenzo,

I have the same problem as you did. It happens after the latest Java update (version 6 update 24). Whenever I click either SDL application (Trados or MultiTerm), after the initialization process, the application window simply closes.

I deleted those three files like you said, but it still doesn't work. I get an error window saying verify.dll is missing and that I should reinstall the application. So, I reinstalled it. Still no change.

Any ideas?

Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:02
Indonesian to English
+ ...
download and install Java from Java website Mar 8, 2013

It works now!

Since I've known from the start that the culprit is the Java update, I opened my Java console and checked the Java Runtime Environment and saw two JRE running/enabled:
1.7.0_15
1.6.0_24

Which got me curious, "Why do I have 2 Java applications running?"
And logic tells me that the current version of the two should be 1.7.0_15, but why is it that when I click the About button on the Java console, it said "Version 6 Update 24"?

... See more
It works now!

Since I've known from the start that the culprit is the Java update, I opened my Java console and checked the Java Runtime Environment and saw two JRE running/enabled:
1.7.0_15
1.6.0_24

Which got me curious, "Why do I have 2 Java applications running?"
And logic tells me that the current version of the two should be 1.7.0_15, but why is it that when I click the About button on the Java console, it said "Version 6 Update 24"?

I visited Java website (www.java.com) and it said: "Recommended version 7 update 17" !!!
So, I downloaded and installed it and Trados is working again.

2 things I learned from this mess:
1) Never trust Java update from the auto-update feature on the Java console. Even if it prompts you to update your Java. You can go ahead and update it, but make sure you double check by visiting the Java website to see if you get the correct update.
2) If your Trados doesn't work all of a sudden, first check whether or not you have the latest Java installed. Beyond that, then you're dealing with another issue.

I do know this:
I encounter more application errors in the few months that I've begun using Trados than any other applications I've used in years. Even the error messages are vague. To all you Trados Tech, please please please do something about this. What is the point of using a Ferrari if it stops every 2 miles without the user knowing what the heck is wrong, know what I mean?
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
old versions of Java Mar 11, 2013

Adrian, if you still have both versions of Java installed in your machine, you should uninstall the oldest one. it is very unsafe to keep old versiones of Java installed.
what happens is that Java updates itself but doesn't uninstall the older versions.
as you can see, Trados applications run well with the most recent Java versions.

happy to hear you solved your problem.

Linda Larsson (X)
Linda Larsson (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
THANK YOU!! Jun 29, 2013

I just need to thank for the Java solution! I was going crazy. But now my trados is working again.

(((I hate Java!)))

Thanks again,
Linda

Chiara Tixi
Chiara Tixi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:02
English to Italian
+ ...
PLEASE HELP, STUDIO FREELANCE 2011 WON'T OPEN! Jan 14, 2014

Dear all, I hope you can help me. I've been translating a huge project in Studio 2011 and tonight I had to send the second batch of files. That I did, although 3 out 7 didn't want to be saved in the target format and when I went to open it again I had this lovely error message:

Failed to load project from 'C:\Users\Chiara\Documents\Studio 2011\Projects\Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468\Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468.sdlproj':
There is an error in XML document (3675, 5
... See more
Dear all, I hope you can help me. I've been translating a huge project in Studio 2011 and tonight I had to send the second batch of files. That I did, although 3 out 7 didn't want to be saved in the target format and when I went to open it again I had this lovely error message:

Failed to load project from 'C:\Users\Chiara\Documents\Studio 2011\Projects\Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468\Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468.sdlproj':
There is an error in XML document (3675, 50).
'', hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character. Line 3675, position 50.

and Studio won't even open, so there's absolutely nothing I can do.

Is there anybody out there who knows what to do? I'm desperate.

Thanks
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this.... Jan 14, 2014

... drag this file "Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468.sdlproj" into a Firefox browser. It will probably throw up an error because there is an invalid character in the xml. But, it will also tell you what it is. So now, you search and replace for that character in notepad, or a decent text editor (editpad or notepad++ for example). Replace it with nothing at all... or in effect delete the character.

Then start Studio again. I think that should do it.

Regards
... See more
... drag this file "Projet pour Chiara CA LUX 28468.sdlproj" into a Firefox browser. It will probably throw up an error because there is an invalid character in the xml. But, it will also tell you what it is. So now, you search and replace for that character in notepad, or a decent text editor (editpad or notepad++ for example). Replace it with nothing at all... or in effect delete the character.

Then start Studio again. I think that should do it.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Thank you thank you thank you! Feb 2, 2014

And thank you!!!

After some Windows 8.1 updates my laptop went mad, and had problems with the graphic controller. But even worse, today I tried to open Studio 2011 and crashed everytime I tried.

I was about going crazy, and saw this post about Java. True enough I had not two but 4! old versions of Jave installed! Uninstalled them and voilá! Studio works!

Thank you!!!!

(havent resolved the problem with graphic controller and why since then I ca
... See more
And thank you!!!

After some Windows 8.1 updates my laptop went mad, and had problems with the graphic controller. But even worse, today I tried to open Studio 2011 and crashed everytime I tried.

I was about going crazy, and saw this post about Java. True enough I had not two but 4! old versions of Jave installed! Uninstalled them and voilá! Studio works!

Thank you!!!!

(havent resolved the problem with graphic controller and why since then I can not plug my big monitor to laptop, but anyway.....

Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as requested by poster.
Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Felipe Aug 30, 2015

In Administrador de tareas, with Studio 2014 open...
There is the option to "Expandir" (W10), "Maximizar" (W7), or alike.
Try clicking on the options there to get the screen back.
Buena suerte!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 SP2 won't open, splash screen crashed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »