John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:34
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

This might have been asked before but I couldn't find it. Is there any setting so that words that start with a capital (and therefore are frequently an untranslateable proper noun) are included with the list of placeables in a segment, to avoid having to constantly retype them?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:34
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I don't think so... Jul 31, 2012

... but you can use Autotext to create a list of proper names. This would apply to all your projects and would be offered in the Autosuggest list. To add words, go to Tools>Options>autosuggest>autotext

Or you could define variables that work as placeables for individual TMs in the Language Resources in Translation Memory Settings (Variable List).

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autotext doesn't help Jul 31, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

... but you can use Autotext to create a list of proper names.

I'm aware of that, but in documents that list a lot of proper names that each only appear once or twice, Autotext doesn't help. It's a feature of Wordfast that I miss in Studio.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
French to English
+ ...
Me too Jul 31, 2012

John Fossey wrote:

I'm aware of that, but in documents that list a lot of proper names that each only appear once or twice, Autotext doesn't help. It's a feature of Wordfast that I miss in Studio.

Me too, John; I only use Studio for a couple of clients, but this is one simple thing from Wordfast that I really miss. I end up copying the whole of the source text and working round the placeables, but you would have thought there was an easier way....

Gurudutt Kamath
Gurudutt Kamath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:04
French to English
+ ...
Termbase Aug 30, 2012

Hello John,

To avoid typing some words, I am putting them in the termbase. Which means that when I type its first character -- it will autotype it for me. So if you put John Fossey and John Fossey as its translation. When you type a capital J -- it will autotype John Fossey for you.

Service Pack 2 has the feature of using both capitals and lower case (it is an option!). (though it is a bit buggy -- or I do not have the setting right)

Hope this helps.
... See more
Hello John,

To avoid typing some words, I am putting them in the termbase. Which means that when I type its first character -- it will autotype it for me. So if you put John Fossey and John Fossey as its translation. When you type a capital J -- it will autotype John Fossey for you.

Service Pack 2 has the feature of using both capitals and lower case (it is an option!). (though it is a bit buggy -- or I do not have the setting right)

Hope this helps.

Guru (someone who is having fun working on his first project on Studio 2011)
Collapse

Tntranslations
Tntranslations
Local time: 10:34
You can use TermInjector 2.0 for this Aug 31, 2012

You can simulate this sort of functionality with TermInjector 2.0. Here's an example:

TermInjector can construct translation suggestions for new segments and supports regular expression replacement rules. This means you can specify that all words that start with a lowercase letter or are at the beginning of a segment are omitted from the translation suggestion. Unfo
... See more
You can simulate this sort of functionality with TermInjector 2.0. Here's an example:

TermInjector can construct translation suggestions for new segments and supports regular expression replacement rules. This means you can specify that all words that start with a lowercase letter or are at the beginning of a segment are omitted from the translation suggestion. Unfortunately some extra spaces and punctuation will be left in the proposal.

In the example I've used rules that turn every string matching regular expressions ^[A-Za-z]+ or [a-z ]+ into empty strings in the constructed translation proposal.

You can download TermInjector from Open Exchange.

It would be a simple thing to do a specific plugin just for this functionality, I might look into it if there's another Open Exchange competition.
Collapse

Mark Bossanyi
Mark Bossanyi  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:34
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Two years and a new version of Studio later, still no solution from SDL? Nov 3, 2014

I reluctantly started using Trados Studio 2014 in response to the fact that many of my clients are hooked on it. Trados has a large number of features, but also a large number of shortcomings that are inexcusable for a market leader. Its inability to treat capitalised words as placeables is one such example and to my knowledge this has still not been addressed. TermInjector is a valiant attempt to address this problem but is far from user friendly. In contrast, Wordfast provides this feature out... See more
I reluctantly started using Trados Studio 2014 in response to the fact that many of my clients are hooked on it. Trados has a large number of features, but also a large number of shortcomings that are inexcusable for a market leader. Its inability to treat capitalised words as placeables is one such example and to my knowledge this has still not been addressed. TermInjector is a valiant attempt to address this problem but is far from user friendly. In contrast, Wordfast provides this feature out-of-the box and it is a breeze to use. Does anyone know whether SDL intends to do anything about this?Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Second that Jan 28, 2015

I miss this too. I translate plenty of proper nouns because there is a localized version for it, but I still typically put the original/source in parenthesis.

Capitalized and first cap words should be Recognized Tokens.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:34
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Regex AutoSuggest provider Jan 28, 2015

Another solution for proper nouns is to use the Regex AutoSuggest provider app.

Paul Filkin recorded a useful video on how to use it in this context:
http://youtu.be/JArEfadopkQ

Ap
... See more

App available here:
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/regexmatchautosuggestprovider-689.html
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks, Emma Feb 15, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

App available here:
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/regexmatchautosuggestprovider-689.html

This worked. I looked at Regex AutoSuggest from another post somewhere, if I remember well, without being able to understand much of it. The link to Paul's video explains how to use it and it does what I was looking for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: First Cap placeables

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »