Studio 2011: Save Target ... but only translated segments
Thread poster: Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 00:29
English to German
Sep 14, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a large Excel file that is partly translated - but there are large chunks of untranslated segments in between the translated ones.

Is there any way to save the target file with only the translated segments, i.e. the cells with as yet untranslated text remain empty in the target file?

If there isn't, I have to through the file manually and delete every untranslated cell, which would be a bit of a hassle, as the file is so large ...
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a large Excel file that is partly translated - but there are large chunks of untranslated segments in between the translated ones.

Is there any way to save the target file with only the translated segments, i.e. the cells with as yet untranslated text remain empty in the target file?

If there isn't, I have to through the file manually and delete every untranslated cell, which would be a bit of a hassle, as the file is so large ...

Thanks for any help!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Have you tried it? Sep 14, 2012

Hi,

This is exactly what will happen. Just save the target and anything untranslated will be populated with the contents of the source.

Regards

Paul

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have ... Sep 14, 2012

Exactly, and that's what I DON'T want to happen. I want anything untranslated to be left empty, not be populated with the source.

The file looks roughly like this:

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
TRANSLATED<
... See more
Exactly, and that's what I DON'T want to happen. I want anything untranslated to be left empty, not be populated with the source.

The file looks roughly like this:

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
SOURCE
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

I want the target file to look like this:

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED
TRANSLATED

Even if I leave the untranslated segments empty in Studio, i.e. if I don't copy the source text if there is no match/translation, the untranslated segments get populated with the source in the target file.

Which means that I have to through the entire file manually and delete all the source text. Which will take me a lot of time, since we're talking about an Excel file with several thousand lines ...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - I see... Sep 14, 2012

Jalapeno wrote:

Hi,

My mistake. In this case you have two options (at least I think). the first is to place a space into each untranslated segment (although this might take too long for a large file) so that the translation is just a space that you won't see. You don't have to confirm this though so if you filter on "Not Translated" it's pretty fast to use the spacebar and the down arrow to enter the spaces into anything other than a file with thousands of non-translated segments.

The second, if you only want the translations and not necessarily a fully formatted excel file, is to use the SDLXLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office and export to excel. You can set the exclusions to exclude "Non translated" segments.

Perhaps one of these will help? There isn't a setting in Studio to completely exclude segments in a fully formatted file as this would no longer be the file.

Regards

Paul

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply Sep 14, 2012

Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply, now we're on the same page.

Unfortunately, it IS a file with thousands of untranslated segments.

The client has cancelled the project midway through the translation - but I've already translated the first few hundred segments, over 10,000 words. Many of these segments are repeated later as 100% matches, so Auto-Propagation has translated these repetitions as well. Now the client wants a target file with ONLY the segments tha
... See more
Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply, now we're on the same page.

Unfortunately, it IS a file with thousands of untranslated segments.

The client has cancelled the project midway through the translation - but I've already translated the first few hundred segments, over 10,000 words. Many of these segments are repeated later as 100% matches, so Auto-Propagation has translated these repetitions as well. Now the client wants a target file with ONLY the segments that have already been translated ...

I'll try the converter. If that doesn't work, I might have to resort to option 1, adding spaces manually. Still better than going to the target Excel file and deleting the untranslated segments. Or maybe I'll use the trusted old "paperweight-on-space-bar-other-heavy-object-on-down-arrow" method. Might work ...

Thanks again!
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this Sep 14, 2012

If you choose Paul’s first suggestion work like this:

Display „Unconfirmed segments” (make sure that these are the target segments that you do not want to see in Excel)
At Edit/Replace check „Use” checkbox, select „Regular expressions” and

Find:

^.*$

Replace with:
(a space)

Perhaps you will choose as a replacement not a space, but another character which is not in the text (let’s say ß) - that can make
... See more

Display „Unconfirmed segments” (make sure that these are the target segments that you do not want to see in Excel)

Find:

^.*$

Replace with:
(a space)

Perhaps you will choose as a replacement not a space, but another character which is not in the text (let’s say ß) - that can make easier its deleting later in Excel.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Of course... Sep 14, 2012

István Hirsch wrote:

Find:

^.*$

Replace with:
(a space)

Perhaps you will choose as a replacement not a space, but another character which is not in the text (let’s say ß) - that can make easier its deleting later in Excel.

Good point István... should have thought of that myself..!

Regards

Paul

Katerina O.
Katerina O.  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Hope it's not too late Sep 17, 2012

You can filter the untranslated segments, select them all (to do this I usually click on the first segment number, scroll down the list, then press Shift and click on the last segment number), right click on the selection and select Change segment status. Change it, for example, to Signed Off, so, you can easily filter them out from really translated ones later. With this done, your target should be saved with empty strings.

Georgi Petrov
Georgi Petrov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:29
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
How about a macro? :) Nov 7, 2013

Jalapeno wrote:
...a large Excel file that is partly translated - but there are large chunks of untranslated segments in between the translated ones.
... to save the target file with only the translated segments, i.e. the cells with as yet untranslated text remain empty in the target file?

If you are not afraid to try... I am working on such a file now, and can suggest you use a simple macro (won't be more than 10 short lines) . This is what I will do soon, probably by Monday.

Let me explain your case: Like you said, once you generate your target file, you'll have a column with large chunks of untranslated segments in between the translated ones. Copy the original column (no translated cells in it) and paste it right next to this partially translated column:
1 TRANSLATED a | SOURCE a
2 SOURCE b | SOURCE b
3 SOURCE c | SOURCE c
4 TRANSLATED d | SOURCE d

Then write a macro that checks each row, something like this. Say you have 100 lines:
for each row between 1 and 100:
if cell A1 contains the same as cell B1, then
delete cell A1

...And I just realized this post us over a year old Anyway, I already typed it If anyone needs help with the macro, let me know

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Sep 15, 2014

Katerina O. wrote:

You can filter the untranslated segments, select them all (to do this I usually click on the first segment number, scroll down the list, then press Shift and click on the last segment number), right click on the selection and select Change segment status. Change it, for example, to Signed Off, so, you can easily filter them out from really translated ones later. With this done, your target should be saved with empty strings.

Two years later, I'm now working in Studio 2014 - and I ran into the same problem again. Katerina's solution works just fine, in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Filter the untranslated segments, change their segment status to Signed off, create target file - the untranslated segments will show up as empty.

Thanks, Katerina!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:29
English to Russian
Jalapeno & Katerina O. Sep 21, 2016

Thank you for your clue — it works well with SDL Trados Studio 2015 (still no checkbox available for that purpose...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Save Target ... but only translated segments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »