Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 21:36
English to German
+ ...
Nov 12, 2012

Hai,

I had a new error message never seen before here, I guess it is not related to Framemaker but only to Studio.

I trying to open files of a new project, when this weird error message occured
"Beim Ermitteln der Dateiversion ist ein Fehler aufgetreten", I guess it must be something like "An error occured when identifying the file version/type". Hmmm. Okay, re-did the project, same error. Closed Studio, re-opened it, same error. Opened on an old project (one that
... See more
Hai,

I had a new error message never seen before here, I guess it is not related to Framemaker but only to Studio.

I trying to open files of a new project, when this weird error message occured
"Beim Ermitteln der Dateiversion ist ein Fehler aufgetreten", I guess it must be something like "An error occured when identifying the file version/type". Hmmm. Okay, re-did the project, same error. Closed Studio, re-opened it, same error. Opened on an old project (one that was approved and that could be edited before), same error meassage and the file closes immediately.

Tried to close Studio and to restart the PC, can't close Studio anymore? Tried shutdown with the task manager, does not react. I had to press the button to shutdown the PC, restarted the PC and guess what? The error remains... No matter what I click now in Studio (any button) I get the message and Studio does not close.

Anyone else? Any tips what to do? What might have caused this?
Cheers,
Anneliese

PS Technical details: Windows 7, Frame10, Studio2011 SP1, as far as I can see no Windows update was installed the last 5 days
Collapse

J Fox
J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 07:36
German to English
+ ...
Related to Microsoft Word 2007 update? Nov 12, 2012

Hi, I've had this error after updating MS Word 2007. There are some details on the update and solution in the posts from August onwards in this forum topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222565-word_experienced_a_serious_problem_with_multiterm8dotm_studio_2011_user-page3.html<
... See more
Hi, I've had this error after updating MS Word 2007. There are some details on the update and solution in the posts from August onwards in this forum topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222565-word_experienced_a_serious_problem_with_multiterm8dotm_studio_2011_user-page3.html

Have you tested projects with different file types, to try to isolate the problem?
Jayne
Collapse

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try it Nov 13, 2012

Hello Jayne,

no we do not work with Word at all. I followed my so far approved workflow for FrameMaker files, the first project was okay, the second - just two hours later - was not. And then everything went really bad - I could not even click on something without getting that error message not even mention opening any kind of file or project... Just tried it again, thought maybe a night of rest might help

... See more
Hello Jayne,

no we do not work with Word at all. I followed my so far approved workflow for FrameMaker files, the first project was okay, the second - just two hours later - was not. And then everything went really bad - I could not even click on something without getting that error message not even mention opening any kind of file or project... Just tried it again, thought maybe a night of rest might help

I remember that I had the problem before, after installing one of the tedious Windows Updates but all had to do then was to reboot the PC, so now the sysman groups checks the Updates before installing them on my PC - but this time there was really nothing changed on the PC. Anyway I will talk to my sysman and show them the way described in the thread you mentioned - thanks for that! - maybe that will help.

Cheers,
Anneliese
Collapse

Katrin Nell
Katrin Nell  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Same problem with Studio 9 Jun 18, 2013

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with Studio 9 with this error message "Beim Ermitteln der Dateiversion ist ein Fehler aufgetreten". The first time it happened I was in panic, because I was just about to finish a big project and I was not able to open the file.

Solution: Open the task manager and force the program to shut, reopen the program, and it works again. I know this is not the ideal solution, because it happens over and over again, but I don't know what els
... See more
Hello,

I have the exact same problem with Studio 9 with this error message "Beim Ermitteln der Dateiversion ist ein Fehler aufgetreten". The first time it happened I was in panic, because I was just about to finish a big project and I was not able to open the file.

Solution: Open the task manager and force the program to shut, reopen the program, and it works again. I know this is not the ideal solution, because it happens over and over again, but I don't know what else to do. I tried to get into contact with SDL, but they don't respond, and on their website, there is no technical support. In my opinion, this is unacceptable, as I paid a lot of money for this program...

So if one day, somebody has the solution, you are welcome to tell us!

Cheers
Katrin.
Collapse

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Quiting and restarting worked Aug 11, 2015

Thank you for the hin, Katrin!

I had the same problem. I simply quit Trados (clicking the closing X) and relaunched it again. Now the file opens without problems. (Trados 2014 Freelance)

Christophe LEONHARD
Christophe LEONHARD  Identity Verified
German to French
Same problem in Studio 2014 SP2 May 6, 2016

Just had the same problem in Studio 2014... your solution worked fine.
Many thanks for sharing it

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011SP1: Error occured when identifying file version

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »