Studio 2011 sometimes hangs on startup
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:43
Dutch to English
Nov 23, 2012

Just thought I would warn the Trados people that Studio 2011 sp2 sometimes hangs during startup on my system (Win 8 pro 64bit). Always during "Loading editor view..". Shutting down the process and restarting always fixes it.

Regards,

Olly

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Any error messages? Nov 23, 2012

Hi Olly,

I haven't seen this reported anywhere else yet... but I also don't know too many people running on W8 yet either. Do you get any kind of other messages that might help to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Paul

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as Studio 2009? Nov 23, 2012

Hello Olly,

Not that I'm a CAT geek, but I notice in Studio 2011's older brother Studio 2009 that a move from the Translation Memories pane to the Editor pane never fails to prompt a "No-response" message, but it always gets there in the end after about 10 seconds. Maybe just wait a little longer?

Mervyn

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Happened with win7 too Nov 23, 2012

I had this issue with win7 (64 bit) too. No error messages, Studio just hangs at "Loading editor view..." during startup and stays hanged until I close down the process with the task manager. Behaviour is erratic and independent of what else the computer is doing at that moment (doesn't matter whether I've just fired up the computer and Studio is the first programme I launch, or I've had the computer on for days and a million apps are running). I would guess it occurs one time out of ten.
... See more
I had this issue with win7 (64 bit) too. No error messages, Studio just hangs at "Loading editor view..." during startup and stays hanged until I close down the process with the task manager. Behaviour is erratic and independent of what else the computer is doing at that moment (doesn't matter whether I've just fired up the computer and Studio is the first programme I launch, or I've had the computer on for days and a million apps are running). I would guess it occurs one time out of ten.

Regards,

Olly
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hanging problem Jan 30, 2013

Just to update; still getting this hanging problem occassionally, and description below still fits:

"No error messages, Studio just hangs at "Loading editor view..." during startup and stays hanged until I close down the process with the task manager. Behaviour is erratic and independent of what else the computer is doing at that moment (doesn't matter whether I've just fired up the computer and Studio is the first programme I launch, or I've had the computer on for days and a milli
... See more
Just to update; still getting this hanging problem occassionally, and description below still fits:

"No error messages, Studio just hangs at "Loading editor view..." during startup and stays hanged until I close down the process with the task manager. Behaviour is erratic and independent of what else the computer is doing at that moment (doesn't matter whether I've just fired up the computer and Studio is the first programme I launch, or I've had the computer on for days and a million apps are running). I would guess it occurs one time out of ten."
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Happened to me today Feb 21, 2014

Just for the record, I've had the same problem happen to me today on a new Windows 8 (64bit) machine. It was the first occurrence of the issue after 20+ problem-free Studio 2011 starts.

[BTW, I have never seen this happen on my Windows 7 laptop.]

Closing the process from Windows Task Manager and restarting Studio helped.

Thanks for posting this, Olly!

Maciek

FredThiebault
FredThiebault  Identity Verified
English to French
Same on Win 10 Feb 8, 2016

I got the same problem on 64 bits Win 10.
Like the others, closing the process from Windows Task Manager and restarting Studio helps (although sometimes it happens a couple times consecutively)

[Edited at 2016-02-08 17:35 GMT]

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
Local time: 02:43
French to English
+ ...
Same for me Feb 29, 2016

I get this too with Windows 10 64 bit. Very intermittent. Usually just happens once then starts no problem after killing the process. However this morning it did it three times in a row.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 sometimes hangs on startup

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »