Barbara Trespidini
Barbara Trespidini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2012

Hello everyone,
I have been asked to translate a .pdf file using SDL Trados 2009.
The client sent me the project package with the .xliff file and the TM.
I can translate the file without any problems, but unfortunately when I open it, the following message is displayed:

"This file was created using a file type definition which does not exist on your system (PDF v. 2000). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: saving, verification, quick tag
... See more
Hello everyone,
I have been asked to translate a .pdf file using SDL Trados 2009.
The client sent me the project package with the .xliff file and the TM.
I can translate the file without any problems, but unfortunately when I open it, the following message is displayed:

"This file was created using a file type definition which does not exist on your system (PDF v. 2000). The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable: saving, verification, quick tags and preview."

This means that, even if I can save the file, I can't create a clean file at the end of the translation.

Moreover, I am expected to deliver a final .doc file, and I really don't kwow how to do that, considering that the source file is a .pdf file.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Barbara

[Edited at 2012-12-05 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask for a Project Package Dec 5, 2012

Hi Barbara,
I think that having only the SDLXLIFF file will not be enough. You should ask the client to provide you with a complete Project Package. That should be working.

Barbara Trespidini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
project package Dec 5, 2012

I have been given a complete Project Package, maybe the .pdf source file used to create the package is corrupted, or not compatible with my PC or with the software installed on my PC.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Scanned PDF? Dec 6, 2012

Hi Barbara,

First, please don't open new threads on the same subject, because that will only lead to confusion.

Second, have you checked whether the PDF is a scanned image? If it is, Studio won't be able to process it.

Regarding your question on how to save a PDF file in doc format in Studio: Well, Studio does that automatically. It converts the PDF to docx and then to SDLXLIFF so that you can translate it in the Editor window. So then you simply save as do
... See more
Hi Barbara,

First, please don't open new threads on the same subject, because that will only lead to confusion.

Second, have you checked whether the PDF is a scanned image? If it is, Studio won't be able to process it.

Regarding your question on how to save a PDF file in doc format in Studio: Well, Studio does that automatically. It converts the PDF to docx and then to SDLXLIFF so that you can translate it in the Editor window. So then you simply save as docx when you have finished the translation.

Jayne Fox describes the process here:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-use-trados-studio-as-a-pdf-converter/

HTH,
Emma

Edited to add:
I see from your second thread that you are using Studio 2009 and your agency 2011. They need to use the option to create a package for 2009 as their first step. Maybe it would be worth checking that they did do this?

[Edited at 2012-12-06 09:34 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Trespidini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 versus Studio 2011? Dec 6, 2012

Hi Emma,

First, are you a Proz coordinator?

Second, the PDF file is not a scanned image.

I have been given the converted SDLxliff file, but the problem is that I CAN'T save the file at the end because the operation "save target as" is forbidden and I receive an error message.

I will take into consideration your final suggestion.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Barbara Dec 6, 2012

Barbara Trespidini wrote:

Hi Emma,

First, are you a Proz coordinator?

Emma is absolutely right: it is highly advisable to check the existing threads before opening a new one on the same topic.

Thank you.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Misunderstanding Dec 6, 2012

Hi Barbara,

I believe all this is a misunderstanding: one of the forum rules reads: Postings should not be made more than once. Do not post the same topic multiple times or to multiple forums. http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/3#3

Hopefully, the misunderstanding is now settled.

Natalia

Tolstyy
Tolstyy
Latvia
Same error Apr 1, 2015

Hi Barbara,

I am getting exactly the same error. Did you mange to sort out yours?

Thanks!

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a pdf file with SDL Trados Studio 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »